Game ball.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Moriah Jefferson [IMO]

p3657007nm.jpg

Honorable Mention to Stef, who was really great today (I just felt like giving it to MoJeff but Stef probably deserves game ball even more ....)

Also Honorable Mention to Morgan Tuck who led all scorers!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That sounds about right. Mo Jeff seems like she was great all game, but especially in the first half when the team was struggling (we were either down or just barely up) and she made back to back steals, hit 2 breakaways, and one was a 3 point play. 5 points in like 30 seconds...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Moriah Jefferson [IMO]

p3657007nm.jpg

Honorable Mention to Stef, who was really great today (I just felt like giving it to MoJeff but Stef probably deserves game ball even more ....)

Also Honorable Mention to Morgan Tuck who led all scorers!
Stef was, especially, amazing in the second half.

Moriah was awesome all game.

Reaction Score
I do agree 100% , having said that I would like to add.
Watching Geno pre-game trying to convince the world he has to sit back and relax with this team. They do not respond to him getting on them.
This was worth the price of admission.
First TV time out he was in a rant not seen in some time....LOL...
This was worth twice the price of admission.
Last but not least Dolson diving on the floor in a scrum like a guard and batting the ball to a teammate ....Priceless......

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
MoJeff was spectacular all game I thought. I love this freshman group!!!

Also, was anyone else surprised by Morgan Tuck's 15pts. I watched the entire game and I honestly didnt realize she had that many. When the announcer said Tuck was leading the team in scoring I thought he made an error!

Way to go Morgan!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Morgan is smooth but not spectacular. She usually has more in the box score than we think from watching the game.

Way to go, Morgan!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I am a fan of Morgan. I am not surprised at all, and I think that we have scratched the surface with her. SNY voted both Moriah and Morgan players of the game. Personally, I think that MJ may have just edged Morgan. I like the both of them so much, and really I feel bad for Stewey. I cannot wait until she get's past her "wall" and comes out firing.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
really I feel bad for Stewey. I cannot wait until she get's past her "wall" and comes out firing.

I actually think Geno's approach with Stewie may be creating more negatives than positives. IMHO he needs to switch gears and have her focus consciously on other aspects of the game, mostly on defense "block shots and rebound." Given enough minutes on the floor, she will work her way into the game flow, see what the defense is allowing and take more shots as the game wears on. As it stands, the psychology is not working that well, net-net (no pun intended!). I know she is uber talented but her shot % is not great lately and even her drives are not as consistently effective as they should be.

The directive to "Don't think, just shoot/score the ball" is giving her a complex and is self-defeating. Instead of taking shots that come to her instinctively, she is thinking, "OK, I'm supposed to shoot/score now." Then she gets in a funk and it sometimes brings down her energy and demeanor overall.

I'm not saying the issue clear cut, but it just doesn't seem to be working as is.

My 2 cents

Reaction Score
Just got home from the game. I was really impressed with both Jefferson and Tuck. Stewart was not as impressive. IMO she was fouling and traveling quite a bit and it wasn't being called. Dolson looks terrific. I thought we played you pretty tough and we started the game with intensity, which hasn't been the case most of this season. UConn was just the better team. Good luck Monday night. I am looking forward to watching it.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Just based upon what I see in games, her obvious frustration on missing her shots may be getting the best of her. Plus, as I have noted before, she is a target and gets absolutely swamped by defenders when she has the ball, leading often to turnovers. Once Moriah and Morgan are also viewed as threats, and after this game, they should by, the defense may spread out a bit and not focus so much on her. That will give her time to get her UConn legs....it is late in the season, it may be that we will not see much of the highest expectations until her sophomore season. I am hoping that it will be sooner.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Jefferson is going to be great next year. I hope she finds a 3 pt shot this summer.

If only Auriemma could get Tuck to play defense like Stokes and Stokes to play offense like Tuck . . . . . Although in today's game both of them stunk it up on defense. Stokes was bad enough to sit for most of the game. I have no doubt that Tuck will learn to play defense, but she isn't there yet.

Doty - 1-7 ?
Faris - only 3 shots and 1 assist
Stewart 2-11 (0-4) She looks clumsey and out of sorts in the paint. Can't finish around the basket, doesn't have an outside shot and she fumbles every ball that hits her hands. What happened to December's Stewart?

Reaction Score
In my opinion, Mo is the only one of the three freshmen playing with any kind of consistency right now. Morgan's potential is apparent, and she shows flashes of future brilliance, but then will turn around and commit a glaring defensive gaffe ten seconds later. I think this is typical for a Freshman, and I have every confidence in what her future level of play will be...though fairly limited expectations for thisyear. The larger conundrum is Breanna's play. When she encounters most of our opponents, games in which we dominate, those games are just extensions of her high school experience, where her superiority on the floor was taken for granted. When we play more physically aggressive teams, however, she is completely out of sync, often looking lost out there. Of course, we are all guilty of having outsized expectations of her, but I'm convinced that her contributions for the remainder of this year, with two tough games to go, followed by post-season play, will continue to be limited. The off-season will be critical for her, bulking up a bit and learning to use her physical gifts to greater advantage. The potential remains unlimited, but she's going to face more and more rough and physical play, something for which she's clearly not yet prepared.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Rutgers if you remember, always plays a very physical game.

very physical

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Stewie looks to me like a kid that has just totally lost her confidence. It will come back through hard work and perseverance but (sad to say) we might not see it until next year. Having had it 'easy' in high school, I'm sure this season has been a shock to her system. I would not write her off just yet.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Agree Pap, the question is: is the coaching helping her?

The public statements re: shoot when you get the ball are surely an oversimplification of what they're telling her.
Whatever it is, a confidant physically gifted young woman, who has succeeded at every level, including International play with superstars older than her, is very lost at this moment.

I don't have any doubts about the expectations she brought to the program and ours as well.
And I have a hard time ascribing her problems to the usual platitudes: freshman wall et al.

Is suppose its possible that she's not physically well but there's no recent talk of that.

I'm totally mystified.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Stewie looks to me like a kid that has just totally lost her confidence. It will come back through hard work and perseverance but (sad to say) we might not see it until next year. Having had it 'easy' in high school, I'm sure this season has been a shock to her system. I would not write her off just yet.
Breanna is going to have a great career when all is said and done, but this hasn't been the freshman season anyone has expected.

Moriah played easily her best game of the season. She had a steal/rebound hybrid with a behind-the-back dribble and pass to Faris with a out 13:05 in the second half that was spectacular. She has the ability to do some things you've never seen in WCBB when it all comes together for her. The fact that it starting to come together already is really encouraging. She's looking confident and poised. Maybe she won't against Baylor on Monday, but it's nice to see her stepping up.

Reaction Score
Just saw the game...what a great glimpse of the real Moriah...as we say in Texas..."tough as a boot!" Did she just destroy the Rutgers press while chewing bubblegum...?

Great game by Stef, and Morgan looking like she's back in the zone...

I'm starting to feel really good about Monday night, and especially good about a few nights in April...!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think BStew isnt use to defenders close to her size... in HS she could toss it towards the rim, get it back, try again etc.

In college you get one shot and then boxed out. Contact throws her off.

she has the talent but its going to take time for her to get use to the college game. I have faith in her!

Reaction Score
Breanna looks discombobulated, she reminds me of Ann Strother's =Inspector Gadget nickname. Give her time. She needs to hit the weight room.,

Reaction Score
Breanna is having trouble with her shot, but opposing defenses are still collapsing on her. And her rebounding and general defense has been much better than we should've expected from a freshman...not that we weren't hoping for an awful lot.

She needs a Faris makeover...stronger, better balance and technique among the big bodies. She already has the huge heart, the smarts and the determination...the unteachable parts...

Reaction Score
I think Geno's order to Breanna to try to score every time is taken litterally. Now she is looking to score first and that makes it that much easier to defend. Every team saw that in the tapes and even I knew what she was going to do when she has the ball. The way she was playing at the beginning of the season was more instinctively, she would look where everyone was and took what was given. Now, she is bullying her way toward the basket with defenders all over her or tried to take a jump shot off balance with a few pairs of hands in her face. She gets frustrated and takes a shot the minute there is a tiny bit of daylight. And Geno doesn't want her to break the assists record book and this makes her even more tentative when the shots don't go in. I think she should go back and play her game naturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom