Game Analysis - UConn vs Arkansas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game Analysis - UConn vs Arkansas

Reaction Score
Destiny Slocum vs Christyn Williams - This is a great match-up. In this match-up I will give a SLIGHT EDGE TO UCONN
Hoping Slocum doesn't have a similar night as she did against us a freshman with Maryland. This seemed like light years ago. She on Medicare yet?
That was the KLS bucket game but I also remember Slocum leading a Maryland comeback and almost getting the upset. She scored 23 and that was with Gabby, Kia and Napheesa on the court so I worry about what she might be capable of doing. I’ll be quite satisfied if CW matches up well with her.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UCONN has not shown a consistent ability to shut down another team's leading scorer. Even "bad" teams we have played have had a player go off and score 20+.
Over the years, Geno has opted to allow that to happen pretty frequently. If one player isn't going to beat you why waste the fouls if you don't have anyone guard them.

Reaction Score
Whoever guards Dungee needs to play "deny ball" and try to prevent her from getting the ball in the first place.

Is Kia Nurse available?

She's going to get her touches and shots if you play man.

She's prone to forcing the issue, so if you can defender her with a little size and bring over a shot influencer for help, she's prone to getting very inefficient.

I think they are more dangerous when more players that Dungee are chipping in. So getting her into tunnel vision mode is probably a good result if you can bother her.

Reaction Score
AG would be an AA candidate if she played more although she is getting more minutes with AM out. I expect her to get something like 12 and 8 from here on out. If she can get something like that in big games as well, she could be AA herself. I think she has been an under-utilised and under-rated player.

That's like South Carolina claiming Saxton is an AA candidate. Come on now.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
This match-up with #15 Arkansas will present a different challenge than what #25 Tennessee presented to UConn. I believe this match-up challenge is actually more to UConn's liking in that while a back-court like Arkansas, which arguably could be the best back-court in the country is a difficult challenge it plays more favorably into UConn's strengths than Tennessee's size challenge. I believe teams that are as long as TN will always present a very young team like UConn a very difficult challenge.

Arkansas presents a double challenge to UConn because they are an extremely mature team starting 4 seniors, three of which are red shirt (5th year) seniors and a sophomore...while UConn starts three juniors (one of which is a red shirt 4th year) junior, one sophomore and one freshman.

Arkansas' tallest starter is 6'1...this should give UConn an advantage in the middle and I would expect UConn to pound the ball into the middle giving Olivia Nelson-Ododa and Aubrey Griffin a lot of opportunities to get their hands on the ball. Arkansas will rely on their speed to get the ball up fast and try and exploit the transition game.

UConn and Arkansas have one common opponent Tennessee. Arkansas was able to put up 83 points against Tennessee while UConn only put up 67 points. Given the fact that UConn players played under their season averages and Tennessee's size as well as the fact that the game was played away in front of a hostile crowd (albeit small) may have played a role in the low score. I don't know what to make of the differences displayed in their only common opponent.

I should add what I believe the outcome will be...UConn 81; Arkansas 74

Taylah Thomas vs Olivia Nelson-Ododa - This match-up pits 6'1" Taylah against 6'5" Olivia. Taylah hasn't proven to be an offensive threat so, I expect a huge advantage to go to Olivia. Evynn Barnum will split time with Taylah but together their point total don't equal Oliva's offensive output... With Olivia's height advantage I would look to her having a very productive game. ADVANTAGE UCONN

Chelsea Dungee vs Aubrey Griffin
- Chelsea is a scoring machine but, given Aubrey's athleticism and her offensive effectiveness in the past 3-4 games...I do not think the difference will be that noticeable. In fact, Aubrey's defensive ability might prove to be challenging to Chelsea and she may be held below her season's average. EVEN

Destiny Slocum vs Christyn Williams
- This is a great match-up. Destiny averages 15.2 points per game and 4.8 rebounds while Christyn Williams is averaging 15.6 points per game and 4.7 rebounds per game...they are technically the same player...however, Christyn has been of late embracing her role as the defacto leader of her team. I expect this match-up to a great defensive match-up...with each player trying to keep the other in front of them. I expect that UConn's pass first offense will play well in the half court while Arkansas's transition game will play well for them. In this match-up I will give a SLIGHT EDGE TO UCONN

Amber Ramirez vs Evina Westbrook
- These players are statistically evenly matched with Evina being a little bit better rebounder. However, I think Evina is now beginning to round out into game shape. And I am looking for Evina to edge out her opponent in both offensive output and defensive effort. ADVANTAGE UCONN

Makayla Daniels vs Paige Bueckers
- The battle of the underclassman...Sophomore vs Freshman. Thus far Paige has been having a better season statistically than Makayla. I am not sure how recovered Paige will be in this game or even if she will play. If she does play I expect Paige to win this match-up....if Nika Muhl is playing in her place then I would expect Makayla will win this match-up. So, for the time being I am assuming that Paige gets the start. ADVANTAGE UCONN

Coaching
- ADVANTAGE UCONN

Intangibles / Location, etc.
- Once again UConn is on the Road - ADVANTAGE ARKANSAS
The above analysis is based on a man to man defense...and assumed the match-ups I selected are actually UConn staff approved match-ups. There is, of course, a very good chance that UConn will play a zone defense for all or a good part of the game. There is also that UConn will play a hybrid of both zone and man to man. Either way...the match-ups above can provide a comparison in which if we just compare the statistics in each match-up post game...it can show where similar players from either team out played their counterpart. It is just a tool in which could bring some understanding (post game) as to where each team needed to step up in order to change the outcome of the game. I always like a man to man match-up game...but, Arkansas' guard oriented offense and Paige Buecker's current injury (should she play)...may dictate that UConn play more zone than man to man. Either way, I still see a 9-12 point victory for UConn.

Reaction Score
UConn has the number one defense partly because they have played against what appear to be some of the most offensively challenged teams in D1 basketball...
DePaul is averaging 85.2, just ahead of Connecticut. Connecticut held them to 52.

Reaction Score
Saxton 10.1, 6.3, 2 blocks 22.2 mpg

Griffin 9.5, 5.0, 1 block 19.7mpg
I thought you would throw stats at me and I'm aware of them.

ever notice how many players that averages 25 a game aren't first team AA? stats dont tell the whole story. Otherwise, we could just look at stats and the box scores and we could select AA without ever watching a game. Stats tell a story no doubt but not the whole story. AG impacts the game beyond the stats.

I'd like to see how AG would perform with a dominate player like Boston next to her.

Reaction Score
I thought you would throw stats at me and I'm aware of them.

ever notice how many players that averages 25 a game aren't first team AA? stats dont tell the whole story. Otherwise, we could just look at stats and the box scores and we could select AA without ever watching a game. Stats tell a story no doubt but not the whole story. AG impacts the game beyond the stats.

I'd like to see how AG would perform with a dominate player like Boston next to her.

Griffin is definitely a good player.

I'd guess she plays next to a top 5 center in the country herself, though. I don't have a list or anything.

I would think if she played next to Boston, she'd probably have fewer rebounds. Maybe a few more points as Boston is pretty good passer and not ball dominant.

Reaction Score
Griffin is definitely a good player.

I'd guess she plays next to a top 5 center in the country herself, though. I don't have a list or anything.

I would think if she played next to Boston, she'd probably have fewer rebounds. Maybe a few more points as Boston is pretty good passer and not ball dominant.
Yes it is possible Liv is a top 5 center but she may not be as well. Saying she is top 5 sounds impressive, but even if she is, there is a MASSIVE difference between her and Boston. Also Boston has a consistent outside shot and I think they could run a good high low with AG posting up. Teams would have to put their biggest big on Boston and AG would feast on the second big with the room in the middle that would exist with Boston on the team.

She would also steal a lot of Boston's rebounds as well.

I think and maybe I'm a bit off, but over the last 4-5 games AG is close to averaging a double double. There were at least 4-5 games earlier in the year, which is to say about half the games played, where she hardly scored - like 4 points. Against poor competition too so it isnt like she couldn't have....

She must be at 15 plus points over the last 4-5 games and that includes a down game against TN. Her rebounds may be just short of 10 per game over that time frame, but that would be because of the 4 (IIRC) that she had at TN. Look at the last 4-5 games. She must be at or close to a double double over that span. I'm really looking forward to seeing what she can do going forward. She will need a consistent jumper to be AA though.

Also, like I said if she can keep doing what she has done recently and get the minutes to do it, and do it against top level teams, she can be in consideration for AA. That is a lot of 'ifs' but I think she can be special if she can show a consistent jumper. She also causes a lot of havoc that doesn't show up in the box score.

Reaction Score
It is important that Arkansas has to work for their shots and points. If they get fatigued there shot efficiency, especially from the three point line, is likely to drop off. Tired players also don't have as much energy on their drives and don't finish as well. This will affect their scoring.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UCONN's problem on defense will be not to foul. Whoever guards Dungee needs to play "deny ball" and try to prevent her from getting the ball in the first place. No matter how good a defender Aubrey is, Dungee will get past her and UCONN will need to rely on team defense, and for Olivia to NOT defend while fouling.

Dungee is averaging over 8 FTA's per game. That means she draws a lot of fouls. Her FT attempts are more than twice that of any other player on her team. She's aggressive and will force the action a lot. I assume Anna is out for the game, and if Paige is good to go, UCONN will have SOME depth, but not a ton.

UCONN has not shown a consistent ability to shut down another team's leading scorer. Even "bad" teams we have played have had a player go off and score 20+. I don't think our defense is elite this year, and given Ark's guards' abilities to get to the FT line, it could be a game where several UCONN players are in foul trouble. Our offense will need to be on point, and vs. Georgetown, it basically sucked.

Let's see if the team listens to the coaches leading up to this game.

Whoever guards Dungee needs to play "deny ball" and try to prevent her from getting the ball in the first place.

Is Kia Nurse available?
Dungee is one of those players that's almost impossible to contain/stop. All you can do is try to slow her down, deny her as many touches as possible and make her take tough shots. There have been players that were unstoppable. We know who they are. If I'm Geno, I'm putting my BEST defender (Aubrey?) on her man to man the entire game, and let the chips fall where they may. I'd tell Aubrey "You've got one job to do. Keep her in front of you, and keep her under control." IF they can keep Dungee under her season average, they should win comfortably. As others here have said, Dungee is the real deal.

Some players are so unstoppable that you let them get whatever they can, and try to stop everyone else. Sometimes that strategy works, sometimes it doesn't. If Dungee is going to beat me, I'm going to make her work hard for every shot, and MAKE SURE she gets no offensive rebounds.

Dungee IS NOT going to change her game for UConn. Arkansas has lost six games to teams not nearly as talented as UConn. They're not Goliath, nor are they infallible. This will be a good game for both teams. I'm like Bart Scott....."can't wait." :)

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That was the KLS bucket game but I also remember Slocum leading a Maryland comeback and almost getting the upset. She scored 23 and that was with Gabby, Kia and Napheesa on the court so I worry about what she might be capable of doing. I’ll be quite satisfied if CW matches up well with her.
Dec 29, 2016 - Ahhh yeas, the infamous "barf" game. I remember it well. That game was 4 years ago, and Slocomb is still playing. I believe she's the only one that was on the floor then that is still playing.

"http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=18373815&endcard=false"

Katie Lou Samuelson had what Geno called a “gutty” performance. That was true of both her on-court and off-court situations. Lou was clearly sick, “upchucking” (as the classy Doris Burke said) on the sidelines before dropping 23 points on the Terrapins.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Game is sold out. Will be largest WBB crowd of the season.

Courtney Lyle and Carolyn Peck on the call

Reaction Score

Courtney Lyle and Carolyn Peck on the call
Wow 4200 — that’s an awful lot in COVID times.

Reaction Score
DePaul is averaging 85.2, just ahead of Connecticut. Connecticut held them to 52.
Georgetown - 48.3
Butler - 53.8
UMass Lowell - 57.5
Creighton - 64.0
Xavier - 66
Villanova - 71.7

Reaction Score
Geno will find a way. With that said Paige has to be at at least 98%. These next 6 games will tell us where we are and we wont have Anna. I expect our defense to shine. Not perfectly shine but it will be intense. We must stay our of foul trouble. We must play patient offense. If we play our game we win by 15+. We've only played 10 games so shouldve beens and couldve beens are still out there. Think about this . IF and I know my other post talks about ifs.... but if Paige shoots 45% and we make 65% of our foul shots we beat Tenn easily. Our defense will shine again Arkansas. If we make our foul shots and Im sure Geno is working with the team on that and if we shoot the ball fairly well and we should because we wont be hoisting up treys we win going away.
98%. What does that even mean? I remember getting a 97% on a three essay question midterm and jokingly asked the prof—one of the best in his field—where did I lose three points. His reply: You’re not me.

Reaction Score
She's going to get her touches and shots if you play man.

She's prone to forcing the issue, so if you can defender her with a little size and bring over a shot influencer for help, she's prone to getting very inefficient.

I think they are more dangerous when more players that Dungee are chipping in. So getting her into tunnel vision mode is probably a good result if you can bother her.
I have watched her enough and offer the following. If you play her man to man as others have said deny her the ball first then if she gets it make her go left and

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom