Game Analysis - UConn vs Arkansas | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Game Analysis - UConn vs Arkansas

Reaction Score
You don't think teams already put their biggest big on ONO? And Griffin hasn't already been "feasting" off the second big??

Little bit.

Griffin over past 5 games is at 12.4/6. Which is really good. But not quite double/double.
maybe it is last 4 games then. My mistake..

I think she is 15 and 8 over that timespan and that includes only 4 rebounds against Tenn. 15 and 8 is stellar for me and getting close to double double.

Reaction Score
Why not go all the way with this logic. I'll help: Uconn scores a lot of points because they play defensively challenged teams; they win a lot of games because they play cupcakes; they have won a lot of championships because the good teams get upset leaving them/Uconn to reap the benefits.

I'm trying my best to imagine a post-Covid-19 boneyard. When we start making sense again.
Lots of good teams play cupcakes.....and the good teams that get upset probably werent that good...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've noticed that AG over-plays guards from 25 ft from the basket and sometimes gets beat...maybe 3-4 times a game. I can see AG overplaying a wing or post but a guard who is quick is not quite right to me. She still doesn't get beat badly but still gets beat. Not sure if it is by GA's design for her to be on the ball so far from the basket, but if so, and she is matched up with Dungee and she very well could be, she will get beat more than usual.
There isn't a UCONN players this season that hasn't been beat 25ft from the basket. If you contention is Aubrey gets beat at 25 feet more than most that's still not a bad thing in a matchup with Dungee. Aubrey is the best at recovering once she's beat and I would rather Aubrey be chasing Dungee off the three point line and giving up two point shots vs. having her take wide open threes.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We are also talking about this team potentially playing without Paige or Paige not being at full strength + missing Anna. Did you happen to catch the last few minutes of the TN game or GT game?

Reaction Score
There isn't a UCONN players this season that hasn't been beat 25ft from the basket. If you contention is Aubrey gets beat at 25 feet more than most that's still not a bad thing in a matchup with Dungee. Aubrey is the best at recovering once she's beat and I would rather Aubrey be chasing Dungee off the three point line and giving up two point shots vs. having her take wide open threes.
My point is that GA must have AG guarding everybody, including guards close-up 25 ft from the basket, and as a result, she has been beat a few times. I have not noticed any other UCONN player guarding this closely from so far from the basket. I must therefore conclude that this is what GA wants. If this continues and AG is caught guarding Dungee from that far, then AG will get beat. I agree she can recover but she tends to overplay from 25 ft away.

I am not making any comparisons with anybody on the team and I haven't said that I am. This is has to do ONLY with AG's close overplay defense from far away from the bucket.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Somehow these replies are coming as replies to me. Not sure why, maybe I have done something wrong here.

Anyway, I never said she could shut down Dungee, but I think she will do a good job on her, if she can keep from fouling her. It is going to be fun to see. I doubt CW can guard her. Maybe we go zone most of the game.

Reaction Score

If it was me, I would much rather keep Dungee on the three point line, which isn't her biggest strength, than encouraging her attack the rim off the dribble.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
hjoerring said:
[Why not go all the way with this logic. I'll help: Uconn scores a lot of points because they play defensively challenged teams; they win a lot of games because they play cupcakes; they have won a lot of championships because the good teams get upset leaving them/Uconn to reap the benefits.

I'm trying my best to imagine a post-Covid-19 boneyard. When we start making sense again.]

Talking about making sense, how about starting by not trying to revise the history of UCONN championships with such tripe.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You did miss it. Saylor projects to be second best perimeter on this UCONN squad once she gets game ready. In case you also missed it I'm the one doing those projections, which means they are subject to error. For example I had Nika projected as a far better defender than she has shown and Paige has far exceeded my projection as a defender.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
hjoerring said:
[Why not go all the way with this logic. I'll help: Uconn scores a lot of points because they play defensively challenged teams; they win a lot of games because they play cupcakes; they have won a lot of championships because the good teams get upset leaving them/Uconn to reap the benefits.

I'm trying my best to imagine a post-Covid-19 boneyard. When we start making sense again.]

Talking about making sense, how about starting by not trying to revise the history of UCONN championships with such tripe.
I could be wrong but I read @hjoerring post with a great deal sarcasm, distain and deep opposition to the prior Op. I picked this up from the first sentence: "Why not go all the way with this logic." Is as if he was trying to abide by BY rules and not call someone stupid.

Reaction Score

I do think this team has been underrated by some on here and there are ofc some fans that are scared of every decent opponent.

With that said-- with no Paige (or a seriously limited Paige) and no Anna--- well- -- "No.-- UCONN is not that good." A healthy Paige vs no Paige or an extremely limited Paige is huge.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
talking about this year's team and their problematic schedule due to cancellations against competitive teams that makes their defense look statistically better than it is...........if you asked Geno if UConn had the best defense in the country what do you think he'd say?
any questions?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Well, I couldn't have been more wrong about Dungee...she proved she is a first team All American tonight. She was the closest thing to unstoppable that I have seen all season. 37 points...13 for 21 from the floor and 4 for 5 from three...along with 7 for 10 from the line. While I was disappointed in some individuals play...as a team...I thought UConn played really well...they played a good game...they shot 55 percent from the floor and 52 percent from three...that is usually enough to win most games...tonight Arkansas was unconscious...they probably played the best game they are ever going to play...13 threes...they shot 51.6 percent from the floor and 56.5 from three...that is lights out play...kudos to them...they needed a game like that to beat UConn and they did it.

Here are the positives I take from the game:

1. Bueckers proved she can play well in the big games...27 points on 10 for 15 from the floor; 33 from three and 4 for 4 from the line. I would like to see her getting her team mates more involved...as I think she is capable of getting 5-6 assists per game.

2. McLean was impressive...she is rough around the edges but the talent and ability is there. She played well tonight.

3. Muhl has apparently left her freshman jitters behind and had a pretty good game... 8 points; 2 assists and 3 rebounds...decent outing for her against a rated team.

4. UConn has played fairly well on the road...this was a solid road performance that unfortunately came up short.

5. Westbrook continues to impress...19 points, 7 assists, 5-7 from three, 6 rebounds...and a whole lot of leadership out there tonight.

Areas of Concern:

1. Olivia seems to be regressing...she all but disappeared tonight...she was needed, she had a skill set and natural height advantage that should have translated into an unstoppable force underneath the basket...the fact that it didn't happen...leaves me fairly concerned.

2. I really thought Aubrey was turning the corner and would be able to be a defensive stopper on Dungee...boy was I wrong...6 rebounds for an undersized forward..not bad...but, offensively and defensively she is still not there yet.

3. Williams went cold in the second half...she couldn't throw the ball into the ocean...she needs to be consistent for 40 minutes...if we are going to win a championship this year. Paige can't do it herself. Westbrook, Bueckers and Williams...have to all be on for UConn to go all the way this year. Throwing a 0fer from three will cause the defense to sag off of her and take away her ability to drive the basket...she needs to knock down some threes.

4. Fouls...fouls hurt us tonight 23 fouls to their 13. While they shot only 11 for 20 from the line and UConn shot 9 for 14 from the line...it could be argued that since the differential was only 2 points and they won by 3 that the foul shooting was inconsequential....but, that is only part of the story. We had Edwards foul out, McLean had four and we had three players with 3 fouls... It resulted in Aubrey, Odo getting bench time and made some of our players a little tentative on defense.

5. Another stat that jumps out is we had 15 turnovers to their 9. They took care of the basketball better than we did. Arkansas had 18 points off turnovers to UConn's 14.

6. Arkansas lost the rebounding category but tied in offensive rebounds with 8 and was able to capitalize at a better rate than UConn... Arkansas had 10 second chance points to UConn's six.

Final thoughts:

All in all it was a good road game for UConn...they played well. I don't think if we play Arkansas again that we will lose. I don't see Dungee scoring 37 in a second outing...Geno won't let that happen. I don't see them shooting lights out they way they did in this game. I think Olivia, Christyn and Aubrey play much better next time around.I like our chances in a rematch.

I will post this again under the game thread....in case some miss it here.

Reaction Score

If bueckers is out I have serious doubts about staying within 10.

Really? This is the same Arkansas that just lost to Georgia a few days ago and I would think Uconn defense would be at least as good as that. Arkansas can easily shoot themselves in or out of a game.

Ahem

Reaction Score
Going to sleep, I am happy with this game. You can piss and moan, however this was a great game. Ballers on the court in the 4th quarter. GREAT GAME. This was the game we needed

Reaction Score
Never thought they could lose a game like this in which their defense was completely manhandled by a finesse team while UCONN shoots tremendous from 3. The game was fun until it was over. :)

I know the stats show UCONN outrebounded them by 6 - but they seemed just more physical. I guess the physicality had a lot to do with Dungee. She got anywhere she wanted with not only quickness but strength.

Tough loss but fun game.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong but I read @hjoerring post with a great deal sarcasm, distain and deep opposition to the prior Op. I picked this up from the first sentence: "Why not go all the way with this logic." Is as if he was trying to abide by BY rules and not call someone stupid.
Thank you CocoHusky for pointing out the sarcasm. I missed it. Sorry Hjoerring.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
talking about this year's team and their problematic schedule due to cancellations against competitive teams that makes their defense look statistically better than it is...........if you asked Geno if UConn had the best defense in the country what do you think he'd say?
I wont disagree; you and Geno are probably perfectionists. My point will be that if this is how those 3 Ark players shoot and handle themselves on the court I have a hard time seeing why they have lost so many games. Or, the teams that would have stopped them. Every team has its night. This is not an argument for us being a good defensive team. Geno can be very sarcastic in his comments and much have flown over my head, but in his comments he worried more about scoring (made shots) more than them rather than stopping them. We came close for a team that cannot shoot. This is why I have a difficult time reading a lot of posts. And lately, you seems to have caught the bug-- maybe!! I've decided to put the BY and bb aside for now and concentrate on Handball and the Danes who, hopefully, will send the Swedes packing in the championship game.

Reaction Score
to take the measure of any team you need to measure the quality of it's opponents...........UConn has just played two good but hardly great SEC teams and came out with a close victory and a close loss...........what does that tell you about this UConn team? For me it simply proves that they too are good but not great team that struggles with a lack of consistency from it's key contributors...........I expect this to change next season..........

Reaction Score
Well, I couldn't have been more wrong about Dungee...she proved she is a first team All American tonight. She was the closest thing to unstoppable that I have seen all season. 37 points...13 for 21 from the floor and 4 for 5 from three...along with 7 for 10 from the line. While I was disappointed in some individuals play...as a team...I thought UConn played really well...they played a good game...they shot 55 percent from the floor and 52 percent from three...that is usually enough to win most games...tonight Arkansas was unconscious...they probably played the best game they are ever going to play...13 threes...they shot 51.6 percent from the floor and 56.5 from three...that is lights out play...kudos to them...they needed a game like that to beat UConn and they did it.

Here are the positives I take from the game:

1. Bueckers proved she can play well in the big games...27 points on 10 for 15 from the floor; 33 from three and 4 for 4 from the line. I would like to see her getting her team mates more involved...as I think she is capable of getting 5-6 assists per game.

2. McLean was impressive...she is rough around the edges but the talent and ability is there. She played well tonight.

3. Muhl has apparently left her freshman jitters behind and had a pretty good game... 8 points; 2 assists and 3 rebounds...decent outing for her against a rated team.

4. UConn has played fairly well on the road...this was a solid road performance that unfortunately came up short.

5. Westbrook continues to impress...19 points, 7 assists, 5-7 from three, 6 rebounds...and a whole lot of leadership out there tonight.

Areas of Concern:

1. Olivia seems to be regressing...she all but disappeared tonight...she was needed, she had a skill set and natural height advantage that should have translated into an unstoppable force underneath the basket...the fact that it didn't happen...leaves me fairly concerned.

2. I really thought Aubrey was turning the corner and would be able to be a defensive stopper on Dungee...boy was I wrong...6 rebounds for an undersized forward..not bad...but, offensively and defensively she is still not there yet.

3. Williams went cold in the second half...she couldn't throw the ball into the ocean...she needs to be consistent for 40 minutes...if we are going to win a championship this year. Paige can't do it herself. Westbrook, Bueckers and Williams...have to all be on for UConn to go all the way this year. Throwing a 0fer from three will cause the defense to sag off of her and take away her ability to drive the basket...she needs to knock down some threes.

4. Fouls...fouls hurt us tonight 23 fouls to their 13. While they shot only 11 for 20 from the line and UConn shot 9 for 14 from the line...it could be argued that since the differential was only 2 points and they won by 3 that the foul shooting was inconsequential....but, that is only part of the story. We had Edwards foul out, McLean had four and we had three players with 3 fouls... It resulted in Aubrey, Odo getting bench time and made some of our players a little tentative on defense.

5. Another stat that jumps out is we had 15 turnovers to their 9. They took care of the basketball better than we did. Arkansas had 18 points off turnovers to UConn's 14.

6. Arkansas lost the rebounding category but tied in offensive rebounds with 8 and was able to capitalize at a better rate than UConn... Arkansas had 10 second chance points to UConn's six.

Final thoughts:

All in all it was a good road game for UConn...they played well. I don't think if we play Arkansas again that we will lose. I don't see Dungee scoring 37 in a second outing...Geno won't let that happen. I don't see them shooting lights out they way they did in this game. I think Olivia, Christyn and Aubrey play much better next time around.I like our chances in a rematch.

I will post this again under the game thread....in case some miss it here.
I agree with everything except AG did a decent to good job on Dungee when she was guarding her. I thought she held up well. Not perfect but pretty decent/good. Dungee had to often go to her second and third moves to get by AG as opposed to just blowing past her as she did to the rest of players guarding her. Mir had a good moment or two on defense against Dungee as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom