Game #1 - Maryland | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game #1 - Maryland

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hoping some good mojo - the 20th was my late husband's birthday and the last game he ever saw was the 2014 NC. He'll be watching this one.
I miss P. S.
We know he's watching

caw

Reaction Score
Better question would be what do we know about UConn? With so few games played plus Bouk/Jackson being out mid-season, I am having a really hard time gauging this team. Ignoring the games with Bouk/Jackson out UConn only lost too Creighton and Nova but also doesn`t have many signature wins. By most metrics it appears UConn (at full health) has issues with teams that have really good offenses. Maryland is not that.

But Maryland appears to be the best defensive team UConn has played since USC (not at full health at the time).

They start:

Ayala 6'5, 195
Morsell 6'5, 200
Wiggins 6'6, 200
Hart 6'6, 200
Scott 6'7, 225

With most bench minutes by:

Hamilton 6'8, 235
Smith 6'9, 240

That is a lot of height on the perimeter and looks like a pretty switchable defense.

UConn does have a much more flexible team which could be good or bad depending on how Hurley uses lineups. Probably comes down to how well our bigs can take advantage downlow and defend the 3 pt line. Best case is Sanogo continues to play like he did during the BET and dominates down in the post. This year, UConn has done a good job defending the three, so we have to hope this continues.

Reaction Score
Better question would be what do we know about UConn? With so few games played plus Bouk/Jackson being out mid-season, I am having a really hard time gauging this team. Ignoring the games with Bouk/Jackson out UConn only lost too Creighton and Nova but also doesn`t have many signature wins. By most metrics it appears UConn (at full health) has issues with teams that have really good offenses. Maryland is not that.

But Maryland appears to be the best defensive team UConn has played since USC (not at full health at the time).

They start:

Ayala 6'5, 195
Morsell 6'5, 200
Wiggins 6'6, 200
Hart 6'6, 200
Scott 6'7, 225

With most bench minutes by:

Hamilton 6'8, 235
Smith 6'9, 240

That is a lot of height on the perimeter and looks like a pretty switchable defense.

UConn does have a much more flexible team which could be good or bad depending on how Hurley uses lineups. Probably comes down to how well our bigs can take advantage downlow and defend the 3 pt line. Best case is Sanogo continues to play like he did during the BET and dominates down in the post. This year, UConn has done a good job defending the three, so we have to hope this continues.
height on perimeter = bad for cole
switchable defense = bad for bouknight

i agree that we likely will need to exploit down low.

Reaction Score
height on perimeter = bad for cole
switchable defense = bad for bouknight

i agree that we likely will need to exploit down low.

To this point I have a very good friend who is a UMD fan/expert and he basically said that the entire team is solid but unspectacular with no one really being all that consistent on the offensive side, but the huge weakness is post play on both ends. Sounds like Adama should feast.

Reaction Score
To this point I have a very good friend who is a UMD fan/expert and he basically said that the entire team is solid but unspectacular with no one really being all that consistent on the offensive side, but the huge weakness is post play on both ends. Sounds like Adama should feast.
Seems like the type of lineup where Josh and his height could be a valuable asset as well.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
pound it inside and open up the perimeter for the shooters on the team.

Should be a fun game and I hope it is in the evening not at noon

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
we are way, way too pretty for maryland. plus, she got crabs, and rotting crabs smell to high heaven. they gonna stink up the gym. we are way, way too pretty for them. sunoco-agogo gonna make them feel like they spent a whole day at a fred astaire dance class.
Fred Astaire Dance Studios Frederick | Dance Lessons & Classes | Frederick
silly derps, perps, burps, or whatever they're called, don't they know that the World Headquarters for the Fred Astaire Dance Studios is just down the road from UConn, at enfield?

Reaction Score
Anybody got the time on the game yet?!
Somebody on one of the Terp Twitter threads mentioned 1 ET on Saturday but CBS and ESPN's schedule pages still show TBDs across the board

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
we are way, way too pretty for maryland. plus, she got crabs, and rotting crabs smell to high heaven. they gonna stink up the gym. we are way, way too pretty for them. sunoco-agogo gonna make them feel like they spent a whole day at a fred astaire dance class.
Fred Astaire Dance Studios Frederick | Dance Lessons & Classes | Frederick
silly derps, perps, burps, or whatever they're called, don't they know that the World Headquarters for the Fred Astaire Dance Studios is just down the road from UConn, at enfield?
One good spliff. That’s all it takes apparently.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Officially just announced- 7:10 PM ET Saturday night. So much for Terp Twitter threads.
prime time. we just too pretty to play in the afternoon, and the tv people know it.
twerp fans got lucky playing us- 'contact highs' and all that. we should send them a bill for basking in the shadows of our wonderfulness.

Reaction Score
Let’s see what Hurley draws up. They are smaller and play slow. We aren’t good in a low scoring, slow half-court game mode. If we end up in that kind of game it will be a dog fight. We have been very successful pushing up court and shooting early in the clock and hitting the boards. We have to run and dominate the glass.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
What do we know about Maryland?

We know we owe them for Caron Butler's last game, they have a deranged fan named JaCkSoN, and they will cry about Rudy Gay until the end of eternity.
And sweaty Gary Williams...

Reaction Score
Definitely. Polley has not been shooting well. Lately, he seems to hurry his shots before the defense collapses on him, which is causing him to miss some shots he normally can make. I hope he figures this out before the tournament. This is his final year, and I really hope he has some huge games since he is our X-factor.
We haven’t lost a game where Polley has scored 8 or more points
It seems we‘re at our best when Cole and Polley are scoring at least modestly .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom