Game #1 - Maryland | The Boneyard

Game #1 - Maryland

Reaction Score
They've got a 6'5" defender who was B1G conference defensive player of the year, Darryl Morsell. He's going to make things difficult for Bouk. Definitely need Cole and the bigs in this first matchup.

Reaction Score
Maryland loves to play really slow and rely on their defense like UConn, defense is similarly ranked to UConn (27 vs 25 for UConn on KenPom).

They're a bad rebounding team, but opposite of UConn, this is where the game is probably decided. UConn is elite on offensive rebounds, Maryland is good to above average on defensive rebounds. Both teams struggle on the other side

Maryland's 3 point defense isn't great, they give up a lot of points from 3 (a lot is relative since they have a great defense). Polley and Cole getting hot and Bouknight making a few early is going to be huge

Reaction Score
If we're going to make any sort of run in the tournament we're going to need at least a couple 'Polley games' where he hits 3+ threes.
Definitely. Polley has not been shooting well. Lately, he seems to hurry his shots before the defense collapses on him, which is causing him to miss some shots he normally can make. I hope he figures this out before the tournament. This is his final year, and I really hope he has some huge games since he is our X-factor.

Reaction Score
Maryland's schedule this year: 16-13 overall, went 9-11 in the Big 10 (tied for 8th), they have 4 wins against ranked teams (all B1G teams, including Illinois).

Reaction Score
Looking at their stats and roster page, it looks like they have a lot of interchangeable 6'5-6'7 guys and they shoot a lot of 3's.

That's not a bad matchup on defense for Bouknight, Martin, Jackson, and even Whaley, but that's going to be a problem for Gaffney/Cole and Sanogo for different reasons.

On the other hand, it also looks exploitable for us on offense.

Reaction Score
Maryland's schedule this year: 16-13 overall, went 9-11 in the Big 10 (tied for 8th), they have 4 wins against ranked teams (all B1G teams, including Illinois).

There's a bit of circularity to the rankings.

If a lot of B1G teams are ranked highly, then all the other teams look better by beating them, garner high rankings, lose to other teams who then get inflated rankings, etc.

The B1G will either dominate this Tournament (I'm talking like 6 Sweet 16 and 3-4 Elite 8 teams) or they will be badly exposed. I don't see much middle ground.

Reaction Score
There's a bit of circularity to the rankings.

If a lot of B1G teams are ranked highly, then all the other teams look better by beating them, garner high rankings, lose to other teams who then get inflated rankings, etc.

The B1G will either dominate this Tournament (I'm talking like 6 Sweet 16 and 3-4 Elite 8 teams) or they will be badly exposed. I don't see much middle ground.
This is 100% the correct take. Big 10 easily could be superficially propped up and their teams (outside of a healthy Michigan and probably Illinois) aren’t that good.

With that said, Ohio State and Iowa could easily end up in the Elite 8 and even Purdue as a 4 seed can be dangerous (as Painter has demonstrated in the past).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom