Gaffney took a big step forward tonight | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gaffney took a big step forward tonight

Reaction Score
There are no positives to take away from playing scrubs like st.p, only negatives. Anything that looked bad against this team will look worse versus a better team. Let's put things in context.
I disagree - getting this playing experience is exactly what the young guys need now. I’m sure the coaches aren’t just saying do better next time - they are showing them film and hopefully re- creating situations in practice where they can teach. These are very skilled players _ UConn’s strength has always been teaching , making players better, and teaching them how to play as a team. We don’t recruit 5 star one and dones. We build teams - Dan is doing just that - we are going to get better - it is going to happen .

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think we’ll see him break out by the end of this season. His goofs are fixable. Seems like a smart kid who knows basketball well, with a high motor and real desire to get better. He has a hard time keeping his composure when there’s pressure, and he might dwell on a recent bad play for too long which affects his decision making on subsequent sets. Those are things that a coach (and good senior leadership from Al) can resolve; he has a lot going for him - IQ, athleticism, vision - he just needs to settle into his role on the team and stop second guessing himself. I was really high on Gaffney before the season (his HS and AAU highlights occupied more of my time than I care to admit), and I still see him being an extremely important part of our offensive strategy this year as well as in the future. His defense and anticipation are certainly things to work on but plenty of freshmen deal with these growing pains, and with even more talent coming into the program soon I think we’ll view him as the most improved player on this team by March.
Watched a lot of his games as well and have the same perspective as you. I just hope this kid can overcome getting down on himself when he makes mistakes.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I disagree - getting this playing experience is exactly what the young guys need now. I’m sure the coaches aren’t just saying do better next time - they are showing them film and hopefully re- creating situations in practice where they can teach. These are very skilled players _ UConn’s strength has always been teaching , making players better, and teaching them how to play as a team. We don’t recruit 5 star one and dones. We build teams - Dan is doing just that - we are going to get better - it is going to happen .

I mean, I'm not sure what this post has to do with my post but the thread title is gaffney took a big step forward. To say he took a step forward v. St.P with 4 or 5 tos in 20 mins is a disappointing standard we've accepted. Sure the coaches will use the film for teaching but there aren't positives to really take away from playing teams like this as things that will work v. ST.P will not work against more skilled/athletic teams. Example, everyone is saying gaffney can't dribble, St.p can't really do anything about that but a good team will destroy a pg that can't dribble.

Reaction Score
Watched a lot of his games as well and have the same perspective as you. I just hope this kid can overcome getting down on himself when he makes mistakes.
I told you JG would hold his own and rise to the level we expect. JA & JB have a chemistry from when they were first recruited to UConn. They are the building blocks. Just hope they can make it happen fast so our season will not be lost. We can't have another Indiana at Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
Gafney did not look good. Can't sugar coat it. Against St. Peter's! I'm as optimistic as anyone but I saw him play.
Context: I will always give freshman a pass. He was in HS less than a year ago, all this D1 talent, scheduling (traveling), large arenas, new Coach/teammates, Television, and crazy arse fans is a lot to adjust to. He was not coming in as our Savior or a major contributor, just a recruit we can re-build our future with. A piece to our future puzzle so to speak.

He's playing like a normal freshman who has potential. With experience (i.e playing time) comes small improvements, with confidence better production. Now Akok is a freshman+, meaning he's an advanced freshman. Perhaps him practicing with the team last season attributed to that.

All of our freshman (to me) will always get a pass, even with bonehead mistakes (e.g. JB foul). Its their sophomore years where they need to prove they belong at UConn or forever on the bench leading to the 'T' word.

The context is that he is playing good as a freshman and he is not failing or overwhelmed. Just saying we have to take the positives, and let the Coaches deal with the negatives. So yeah he may not have looked good, but for a freshman, to me, he looked pretty good (mistakes and all).

pj

Reaction Score
I mean, I'm not sure what this post has to do with my post but the thread title is gaffney took a big step forward. To say he took a step forward v. St.P with 4 or 5 tos in 20 mins is a disappointing standard we've accepted. Sure the coaches will use the film for teaching but there aren't positives to really take away from playing teams like this as things that will work v. ST.P will not work against more skilled/athletic teams. Example, everyone is saying gaffney can't dribble, St.p can't really do anything about that but a good team will destroy a pg that can't dribble.

He took the step forward from being timid and afraid to do anything, to doing things and making mistakes. That's a big step forward because you can learn from your mistakes. You can't learn from passivity.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Gotta get that handle up. But yeah, people need to chill on him. Most freshman PGs aren't that great to begin with. When you add to that his transition from scoring guard to regular PG, it's gonna take a while. I'll be interested to see what we have the second half of next season.
Opposing defenders have no respect for his handle. They go after him hard. Not sure if he’s not pounding it enough or if his dribble is a little high, but it’s probably one or the other.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He took the step forward from being timid and afraid to do anything, to doing things and making mistakes. That's a big step forward because you can learn from your mistakes. You can't learn from passivity.

Yeah, but that's easy to do against bums.

Reaction Score
Whatever good anyone saw about anything that happened must be tempered by understanding the competition is expected to finish 9th in the MAC.

Not one UConn player was able to dominate. Somebody should have been unstoppable.
I think we're both looking at Josh.

Reaction Score
This kid needs practice, playing time these next two games, and hopefully this can boost his confidence.

Reaction Score
You’re reaction proves my point in two ways.

Age does not account for optimum performance.

Why does stating something that is a fact and not meant as a defense elicit a negative reaction in you?

Occasionally I’m surprised by a poster’s response or who responds. For example I wasn’t expecting @Doctor Hoop’s reaction. I wasn’t shocked. But he doesn’t frequently post his upset in that manner.

On the other hand I would have been disappointed had you not responded in the manner you did. In a universe of uncertainty I derive comfort in the consistency of people not being able to overcome their bad habits. For CV it’s a turnover or taking a shot he shouldn’t. For you it’s getting upset about things you can’t control and being angry if you perceive someone is defending someone or something you dislike. Just for clarity this paragraph is sarcasm.

Impress me. Be the change you insist from others. Control your emotions. See if you can avoid being upset by bad play. Disassociate emotional reaction from an event. Most importantly recognize that expression of anger and wanting payback is different than setting standards. Challenge yourself the way you challenge Alterique or CV.

Not many of us can make this type of adjustment. And yet we insist that players in stressful conditions react differently.

Believe it or not I have to challenge myself everyday to avoid the pitfalls I’m recommending you avoid. I’m not above it. Very few people who have not shut down their emotions can avoid this struggle. However the situation is hopeless if we don’t perceive what we do is negative. As I’m fond of saying in this forum we can see the faults in others but are unable to see them in ourselves.

I expect a point guard who has been with the program for 4 seasons and is 22 years old to make better decisions than a freshman. Gilbert still overpenetrates and takes bad shots, resulting in him shooting 28% through 10 games this season. 28%. That is dismal by any objective standard. For comparison purposes, Taliek Brown (who was maligned by many over his alleged inability to shoot well) never shot below .417 from the floor in any of his 4 seasons at UConn. Adams is shooting 47% as a Soph and Bouknight is shooting 58% so far as a freshman. AG is shooting 28% in large part due to poor shot selection, not a lack of capability or talent.

Gilbert plays very good D and has the capability to be a very good player and leader. He needs to realize that his role is to facilitate and take GOOD shots within the flow of the offense. It's not a talent issue with Gilbert, it's a decision making issue, and after 4 years in the program many of us expect someone with a MCDonald's All-American pedigree to not make the same mistakes over and over, especially when he is your starting point guard and has a major impact on the team's success or lack of it.

I don't see myself as negative, I see myself as realistic. Even you would have to agree that this team would be MUCH better if Gilbert and Vital exercised better judgement in terms of shot selection. That's a fair and realistic point, not a negative one.

Last edited:

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I don't see JG getting a ton of mins against conference opponents unless he improves his handle and his defense. He should be getting as many minutes as he can handle against some of these lower competition games.

Something must be going on with Gilbert. His jump shot looks worse than it has in years past. That doesn't just happen unless he's completely changing his motion or he's somehow hurt. He's been better about not forcing and while he has some bad TOs he's been a good facilitator.

The team as a whole seems to be playing really good team ball (with maybe the exception of Vital who really seems to get blinders on at times...but he's a great energy guy and teammate). I think the more this team plays the better they're going to get. If they can just find a cure for some of their cold stretches, they'll be very dangerous.

I like this team. I think it's a good sign when the freshman are showing improvement every game in some capacity.

Reaction Score
I expect a point guard who has been with the program for 4 seasons and is 22 years old to make better decisions than a freshman. Gilbert still overpenetrates and takes bad shots, resulting in him shooting 28% through 10 games this season. 28%. That is dismal by any objective standard. For comparison purposes, Taliek Brown (who was maligned by many over his alleged inability to shoot well) never shot below .417 from the floor in any of his 4 seasons at UConn. Adams is shooting 47% as a Soph and Bouknight is shooting 58% so far as a freshman. AG is shooting 28% in large part due to poor shot selection, not a lack of capability or talent.

Gilbert plays very good D and has the capability to be a very good player and leader. He needs to realize that his role is to facilitate and take GOOD shots within the flow of the offense. It's not a talent issue with Gilbert, it's a decision making issue, and after 4 years in the program many of us expect someone with a MCDonald's All-American pedigree to not make the same mistakes over and over, especially when he is your starting point guard and has a major impact on the team's success or lack of it.

I don't see myself as negative, I see myself as realistic. Even you would have to agree that this team would be MUCH better if Gilbert and Vital exercised better judgement in terms of shot selection. That's a fair and realistic point, not a negative one.
Well, look at the bright side - he has no where else to go but up! I'd bet that happens. He won't continue to shoot this badly the entire season.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but he seems mercurial. He's succeeded at the highest level before college and I suspect he will do the same here. Once he figures things out, his talent will be better displayed.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but he seems mercurial. He's succeeded at the highest level before college and I suspect he will do the same here. Once he figures things out, his talent will be better displayed.

Hence the frustration from many of us. The talent is absolutely there. If AG facilitates, leads, and plays within himself he can become a legitimate star. I truly believe that. His upside is as solid as we could want.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
c'mon already. even dickie v pointed out the obvious. mr. gilbert almost always shoots off balance. not a recipe for success. and even if he gets a clean look in the paint, well forget that, too, since he ain't no calvin murphy, nate archibald, allen iverson, or nate robinson. if he 'grows' in self-awareness, could he pg for a top level college squad? mos' def. what's the phrase often heard here? 'stay in your lane, al.' sounds right. and, what's with his foul shooting, especially since he doesn't have to jump, or have shaq in his face?

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

The original post you directed towards me is that my statement about experience was BS.

If anything this thread about Gaffney demonstrates that experience is an important component in development along with skill and maturation.

Jalen Gaffney was a better high school player than any of the St. Peter freshman but an argument could be made he didn’t play better than any of them. Perhaps it’s the result of them getting more playing time prior to this game.

Practice is important in development but just as important is getting minutes in games.

Alterique has had 3 years beginning his senior year in high school where he was not playing competitive ball. He played last year but did a lot of adjustment in his play to avoid reinjuring his shoulder. Is it possible his shot mechanics are off because he’s readjusting once again from his last surgery?

Early in the season last year Alterique was the starting point guard but Hurley made the decision to give the majority of point guard minutes to Jalen.

You may conclude it’s bad judgment on his part for his shooting slump and his play. That’s not unreasonable. What is unreasonable is dismissing other possibilities that are equally reasonable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom