Gaffney disappointing | The Boneyard

Gaffney disappointing

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
PG is the most important position in CBB... an extension of the coach on the floor. It's concerning we can't be confident in a Junior to manage back-up PG duties because of his lack of a handle, ball security, and decision-making.

I love Gaff's shooting(3 pt and FT), defense, and ability to attack the rim. But as a PG, the first thing you need to be successful is an above average handle. Gaffney simply does not have that. It was a concern when he got here and it has not improved. I can't recall him ever breaking anyone down off the dribble, or even attempting to.

I've never seen him confidently handling the ball and facing up his man to see the court. Instead, he often puts himself between his man and the ball when dribbling. This really just invites pressure from the defender when he should be the one confidently handling the ball and sizing up the defense. Playing against good defensive guards (MSU/VCU) or teams that press (Auburn) will expose you of you don't have a strong handle, and that was the case this week with Gaffney.

Gaff started off the year strong against the cupcakes, and I thought he'd finally turned a corner. But he was a huge disappointment all 3 games in Atlantis against real competition.

Cole desperately needs some help. The team sorely lacks someone (other than Cole) who can break down a defender off the dribble or create their own shot. You need more than 1 guy who can keep the defense honest and burn you if the defender gets overly aggressive.

Before the season, Hurley must have been confident that Jackson could handle the ball as a pseudo-backup-PG with Gaffney. But neither of those guys is a threat to create their own shot.

I don't know if Diggins is the answer since he couldn't see the floor for a minute.

I'd like to see more of Hawkins. He's not a PG, but his handle is solid and he's got the quickness and athleticism to blow by a defender. While that's asking a lot from a freshman, I think it's time to put as much as we can on this kid's plate to see how special he can be.

I'm resigned to the fact that Gaffney simply is who he is at this point, and can't be trusted to be a second scoring threat off the dribble that this team lacks. Gaffney is certainly serviceable and will have great games this year. But when we need a bucket against good teams, we need a reliable ball handler and consistent 3rd scoring option after Cole and Sanogo.

If the team wants to reach it's ceiling by March, take off the training wheels for Hawkins now, give him more of Gaffney's minutes, and let him develop a better feel for the college game so that by the end of the year, he's the equivalent of special sophomore instead of a freshman.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I made mention of this in a different thread, Gaff has played his best when he and Cole are on flor together.
Which defeats the purpose of a back up PG if the back up plays best when paired with the starter.
Cole played like a trooper all weekend and due to the extended minutes he had to play he showed some of his lesser qualities, some due to fatigue. Problem is any fault Cole has Gaff has shown the poor qualities, only worse.
Digging need some run if for no other reason than to light a fire under Gaff's ass to let him know he isn't guaranteed minutes.

This team needs Gaff and Akok to figure out their roles and become effective in those roles.

Reaction Score
Remember the "#6thManGaff" thread? Did not age well at all. lol! I tried to warn people.

Reaction Score
Gaffney was horrible in Battle 4 Atlantis no doubt, but he was good before then. Keep in mind they are playing in converted ballrooms where they just lay down a floor and toss up some nets - the lighting/ceiling height/etc. isn't the same as a normal gym so it might just affect some players more than others. If he comes back and stinks over the next 5 games then I think it's time to really worry.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Gaffney was horrible in Battle 4 Atlantis no doubt, but he was good before then. Keep in mind they are playing in converted ballrooms where they just lay down a floor and toss up some nets - the lighting/ceiling height/etc. isn't the same as a normal gym so it might just affect some players more than others. If he comes back and stinks over the next 5 games then I think it's time to really worry.

I wanted Gaff to take next step and be a key 20 mpg player this year. Against better teams he has shown he wasn't ready for that role. I do think he played well in OT today.

Hurley doesn't have five more games before evaluating what to do for a back up PG. Two more cupckaes- Maryland Eastern Shore and Grambling. After that it WVU and the BE games starting with Providence.

I'll eat crow at this point but Diggins needs some rum to see what he can do and possibly light a fire under Gaff's ass to step up.

UConn isn't going deep in NCAA with Cole playing 35 mpg and having to shoot 17 shots from field and 10 FT's with only two assists. Cole needs help and Gaff hasn't given it to Cole yet.

Reaction Score
we should be able to get by with 30 mpg from Cole and the other 10 mins running the point split between Gaff and AJ. 5 mins each is really not asking for too much.

Reaction Score
I’ve come to realize that Hurley is a stubborn coach. I’m not a Hurley hater by any means, he does a lot of things exceptionally well, as we all know, but Atlantis has me infuriated with some of his decision making, particularly not playing Hawkins more, and especially when we needed another 3 point threat on the floor. Saying this, it gives me no confidence that he will give Diggins a chance. In Hurleys mind, he already went into the season with a predetermined idea of who his 9 man rotation would be, and he will run that 9 man rotation into the ground before inserting someone like Diggins over Gaff or Johnson over Akok. I realize this post comes off harsh, but I’m actually really concerned about how far we can go if Hurley doesn’t adapt and make some necessary coaching changes during games.

Reaction Score
I’ve come to realize that Hurley is a stubborn coach. I’m not a Hurley hater by any means, he does a lot of things exceptionally well, as we all know, but Atlantis has me infuriated with some of his decision making, particularly not playing Hawkins more, and especially when we needed another 3 point threat on the floor. Saying this, it gives me no confidence that he will give Diggins a chance. In Hurleys mind, he already went into the season with a predetermined idea of who his 9 man rotation would be, and he will run that 9 man rotation into the ground before inserting someone like Diggins over Gaff or Johnson over Akok. I realize this post comes off harsh, but I’m actually really concerned about how far we can go if Hurley doesn’t adapt and make some necessary coaching changes during games.
Do you remember what happened to Sanogo last year? This has happened before. Hurley will continue to adjust and tweak the rotations. It’s only been 6 games. He definitely chooses to ride his vets until the younger guys force him to make a move. Which with a deep team, is imo how it should be done.

I can’t think of a single coach who’s more critical of himself than Danny. Just because he isn’t saying “I messed up” to the media after each tough game, doesn’t mean he isn’t taking notes and evaluating himself and his staff. And to be fair, our shooting was atrocious the past two games, and that wasnt his fault.

Reaction Score
Do you remember what happened to Sanogo last year? This has happened before. Hurley will continue to adjust and tweak the rotations. It’s only been 6 games. He definitely chooses to ride his vets until the younger guys force him to make a move. Which with a deep team, is imo how it should be done.

I can’t think of a single coach who’s more critical of himself than Danny. Just because he isn’t saying “I messed up” to the media after each tough game, doesn’t mean he isn’t taking notes and evaluating himself and his staff. And to be fair, our shooting was atrocious the past two games, and that wasnt his fault.
You’re right, and like I said, I’m not a Hurley hater at all. If anything, adding Murray this off-season seems to have improved the overall flow of the offense, but he is still forcing that offensively anemic lineup of Sanogo-Whaley-Martin-Jackson-Cole in critical moments where we need offense, instead of inserting a guy like Hawk. I guess in his mind, like you say, he wants experience out there, but it’s clear that our young guys are significantly more talented than our seniors and no one can argue that. I guess it’s a toss-up as to what’s better in a tight game with under 5 minutes to go, but to me, we needed Hawk out there when our offense was struggling badly, and it was pretty obvious to me, but what do I know. I’m not there every day in practice. Just frustrating to see is all.

Reaction Score
Gaff was bad this whole tournament. Bone-headed passes, poor ball handling, the ball just dying in his hands during half court sets ending with a forced shot - all things your pg can't do. Really hope it was a fluke, but I think we have to see some more Diggins these next two games.

Reaction Score
You hate to see it because Gaffney was one of the only bright spots vs. Maryland. It looked like he was ready to take the next step and become a really solid player for us after an offseason of work, but it just hasn't materialized for some reason.

Reaction Score
Hawkins has a high dribble, his handle a weak point. We need to screen and set him up to shoot. I’m up for Diggins to try it on, what can we lose? At least in the cupcake games coming up.

Reaction Score
PG is the most important position in CBB... an extension of the coach on the floor. It's concerning we can't be confident in a Junior to manage back-up PG duties because of his lack of a handle, ball security, and decision-making.

I love Gaff's shooting(3 pt and FT), defense, and ability to attack the rim. But as a PG, the first thing you need to be successful is an above average handle. Gaffney simply does not have that. It was a concern when he got here and it has not improved. I can't recall him ever breaking anyone down off the dribble, or even attempting to.

I've never seen him confidently handling the ball and facing up his man to see the court. Instead, he often puts himself between his man and the ball when dribbling. This really just invites pressure from the defender when he should be the one confidently handling the ball and sizing up the defense. Playing against good defensive guards (MSU/VCU) or teams that press (Auburn) will expose you of you don't have a strong handle, and that was the case this week with Gaffney.

Gaff started off the year strong against the cupcakes, and I thought he'd finally turned a corner. But he was a huge disappointment all 3 games in Atlantis against real competition.

Cole desperately needs some help. The team sorely lacks someone (other than Cole) who can break down a defender off the dribble or create their own shot. You need more than 1 guy who can keep the defense honest and burn you if the defender gets overly aggressive.

Before the season, Hurley must have been confident that Jackson could handle the ball as a pseudo-backup-PG with Gaffney. But neither of those guys is a threat to create their own shot.

I don't know if Diggins is the answer since he couldn't see the floor for a minute.

I'd like to see more of Hawkins. He's not a PG, but his handle is solid and he's got the quickness and athleticism to blow by a defender. While that's asking a lot from a freshman, I think it's time to put as much as we can on this kid's plate to see how special he can be.

I'm resigned to the fact that Gaffney simply is who he is at this point, and can't be trusted to be a second scoring threat off the dribble that this team lacks. Gaffney is certainly serviceable and will have great games this year. But when we need a bucket against good teams, we need a reliable ball handler and consistent 3rd scoring option after Cole and Sanogo.

If the team wants to reach it's ceiling by March, take off the training wheels for Hawkins now, give him more of Gaffney's minutes, and let him develop a better feel for the college game so that by the end of the year, he's the equivalent of special sophomore instead of a freshman.
Couldn’t of said it better myself. We absolutely need to give diggins some run agsinst weaker competition these next 2 games to see what he’s got.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Stubborness is a key trait in most great and successful people across all walks of life. When others stop or quit or don't see results, the great ones see progress in the process and keep trudging along until there are results. Hurley is hardly the first coach to stay with a rotation or a player who isn't yielding results as quickly as us fans would like.

Stubborness is also a key trait in many who fail. When others see a particular choice as not being successful and not leading to success, they adapt and change while those who are stubborn keep doing the same thing expecting different results.

You become wildly successful or become the definition of insanity.

For Hurley this is where us fans have to trust assistant coaches are giving Hurley the best advice they can and the rest of Hurley's influencers are helping him through this as well.

Reaction Score
Stubborness is a key trait in most great and successful people across all walks of life. When others stop or quit or don't see results, the great ones see progress in the process and keep trudging along until there are results. Hurley is hardly the first coach to stay with a rotation or a player who isn't yielding results as quickly as us fans would like.

Stubborness is also a key trait in many who fail. When others see a particular choice as not being successful and not leading to success, they adapt and change while those who are stubborn keep doing the same thing expecting different results.

You become wildly successful or become the definition of insanity.

For Hurley this is where us fans have to trust assistant coaches are giving Hurley the best advice they can and the rest of Hurley's influencers are helping him through this as well.
Very well said and also true. As I said, I’m not the expert, and we all have to trust the process. It can get frustrating as fans which is how I felt with a couple things in Atlantis. I really feel we could have beat MSU, but overall, a successful trip and we won difficult games that will prove absolutely huge come March.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Very well said and also true. As I said, I’m not the expert, and we all have to trust the process. It can get frustrating as fans which is how I felt with a couple things in Atlantis. I really feel we could have beat MSU, but overall, a successful trip and we won difficult games that will prove absolutely huge come March.
I feel 100% the same after watching these three games here. He is very stubborn and it was very frustrating to watch. Especially when he is undaunted by five to ten terrible sequences and then puffs his chest and struts the sidelines like his plan is working perfectly when we finally have a sequence in which things go our way—even if not the way planned.

But as @Chin Diesel notes, it’s the same quality that drives the great things about him. I just wish he would make more adjustments based on the game being played, and not based on the plan he had going into the game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I feel 100% the same after watching these three games here. He is very stubborn and it was very frustrating to watch. Especially when he is undaunted by five to ten terrible sequences and then puffs his chest and struts the sidelines like his plan is working perfectly when we finally have a sequence in which things go our way—even if not the way planned.

But as @Chin Diesel notes, it’s the same quality that drives the great things about him. I just wish he would make more adjustments based on the game being played, and not based on the plan he had going into the game.

This would be nice.

I don't mind sticking with the game plan part of the game; it's his personnel decisions on how to execute the game plan which needs more flexibility.

Reaction Score
I really don't understand these takes on the rotation/Hurley. Maybe he doesn't make changes fast enough for people here, but we have tons of evidence now of him integrating freshman into the rotation throughout the season. And he's been very open about how he's going to do it now that we have enough talent where they don't need to be thrown into the fire right away

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom