Gaffney disappointing | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gaffney disappointing

Reaction Score
Gaffney had a bad tournament and he is more of a combo or 2 guard. I'm not under any illusion that he is some huge difference maker. With that said, people are acting like he is just incapable of performing decently against solid competition. I know it's tough these days to think outside the most recent news cycle, but people forget he was borderline our best performer against Maryland last year in the tourney and he has had some decent permormances against Big East teams. Is he consistent? Nope. Is he the answer as a full time PG if Cole got injured. Probably not. That is why people want to see Diggins get some run. Cole is overworked and we need a second point guard to spell him for a few minutes here and there. In this day and age of transfer protocols, I think it's pretty good practice to get your top 60 freshman some playing time here and there. I understand why it doesn't happen in Atlantis but I'd like Johnson and Diggins to play a little more than mop up time against Marland Eastern Shore and Grambling St.

Reaction Score
I’m still driving the #6thManGaff train. He’s not being used correctly right now. He’s a 2 man. If we find time for diggins to be the second primary ball handler we’ll see Gaff excel

Reaction Score
One thing that I have not seen anyone bring up yet about Gaffney is his lack of ability to make tough contested lay ups. That is what made our past guards great. Their ability to get into the lane and finish even with contact/getting fouled.

It seems like he has a tough time making them when they aren't contested as well.... He just needs to work on this as well as his handles under pressure.

Reaction Score
Uncalled for. I listed 8 guys playing double digit mins that’s plenty deep especially as the season goes on. We don’t have a personnel problem we have an execution problem.
I disagree with you, most teams don't go 7 deep with significant playing time. Our depth is our strength. Playing just 6 guys for the majority of the game with spot minutes for 2 more players would be wasting our advantage. Never playing our 2 top 60 recruits would be a major mistake.

Reaction Score
I’m still driving the #6thManGaff train. He’s not being used correctly right now. He’s a 2 man. If we find time for diggins to be the second primary ball handler we’ll see Gaff excel
Playing Gaff at point guard is trying to force a square peg in a round hole. He has a weak handle and just dribbles around the perimeter with no purpose. We never get into any kind of offense when he's forced into playing point. He is what he is. He's a timid player who can make the open three and the occasional drive to the rim.

Reaction Score
I disagree with you, most teams don't go 7 deep with significant playing time. Our depth is our strength. Playing just 6 guys for the majority of the game with spot minutes for 2 more players would be wasting our advantage. Never playing our 2 top 60 recruits would be a major mistake.
That was a typo. I meant 8 not 7 which is why I listed 8 in double figures for us plus gaff.

And Of course it would have been nice to get digg and Samson in the rotation but given that Hawk is playing and they are not, that tells me what I need to know about their readiness

Reaction Score
Seeing Gaffney against tough competition does not give me a good feeling going fwd when Cole needs a blow. My guess is the portal will be used for this purpose in the off season or Diggins will have to grow up real fast.

Reaction Score
Gaffney was very good the first couple of games. He's capable of getting the job done.

Granted Boatwright had some different skills, but it was early on in his junior year when it 'clicked' and he became a very good player. Maybe Gaffney will never become consistent and what a top 25 team needs him to be, but I still have some faith in the young man.

That said, he should not have been on the floor at times in the Mich. St. game in the end.

Reaction Score
I don't care how he is used but he should be able to make layups !

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
As long as Cole stays healthy, we will get by fine this year and be set up next year at PG... hopefully.

Very happy with the progress so far and the fact we have a sick front court and can, at the very least, be competitive with probably any team in the country.

One one hand, we played some of the elite defenses in the country in Atlantis. And Diggins and Hawkins are still young freshmen, and hopefully will improve throughout the year.

Having said all that, it's pretty inexcusable on the coaching staff's part that we have 2 open scholarships and no one who's ready to play right now who can handle the ball at the point position outside of Cole. This is UConn basketball, playing in the Big East. We have pieces to push for a tournament run.. by redshirting Floyd, not playing Diggins, and Gaffney not being a much-improved ballhandler, we are way too thin in the backcourt. We badly could've used another veteran ballhandling/scoring PG. Gaffney was supposed to be that guy at this point, but his handle is just not there yet. I still think Gaffney has good value to this team as a shooter, facilitator, good athlete and defender, and will improve as the season progresses.

Reaction Score

He’s being used fine just needs to show he can play basketball with some confidence. Didn’t matter the minutes with or without Cole he was the east/west dribbling guard again like we don’t need. And he didn’t finish a lay up for 3 games. We need a lot more out of him because it’s not like he makes it up on defense actually the opposite. We need him to be a lot better or we need to see Diggins.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom