Gabby's 3 point shooting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gabby's 3 point shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I engaged in a brief philosophical debate with a poster about this very thing. My take was that just because Gabby didn't shoot 3's her freshman & sophomore years, does not mean she can't. She was recruited as a guard. She's listed as a guard on this year's roster.

Guards can shoot 3's. It means she did not have the green light to do so. I'm not surprised at Gabby's shooting prowess. Not at all. I read somewhere the last couple of days that it's possible that Gabby may be asked to play all 5 positions at some point during a game, or some point during the season.

What other player on the roster could possibly be asked to do that? If Gabby can stay out of foul trouble, she's going to be very productive and a serious concern for many of UConn's opponents this season. I can realistically see 14/8 most nights, assuming she starts. I look for Geno to give Gabby more reign this season.
Yep, key factor; foul trouble.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Geno has had a few 70 plus percent shooters---Tamika Williams is one. Because you are in the mix of the bigs does not mean you can't/ shouldn't shoot the 3---Steff did that regularly in her Senior year. If Butler gets the time i hope she gets, cuz we need her, she is capable of drilling a 3 now an then too. The three is used, by Geno's teams, not just for opening the inside up, but as a legit scoring entity--take 7 3's and make them--you have to hit 11 2's to exceed that scoring. Percentages.

Stef took 27 3-pt shots her senior year -- much less than 1 per game. She shot 29.6% for 3-pt field goals and shot 56.4% overall.

Tamika Williams is the only UConn player to shoot over 70% for a season. She did it three times (sophomore thru senior seasons). Kara Wolters has the next highest FG% for a season with 63.6% her freshman year.

Reaction Score
Stef took 27 3-pt shots her senior year -- much less than 1 per game. She shot 29.6% for 3-pt field goals and shot 56.4% overall.

Tamika Williams is the only UConn player to shoot over 70% for a season. She did it three times (sophomore thru senior seasons). Kara Wolters has the next highest FG% for a season with 63.6% her freshman year.
Thank you for the stats----I knew Tamika shot 70 percent--Geno --said of her--anyone should be able to shoot 70 percent 2 ft from the basket. Apparently that is not the case.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck took 87 three pointers last year and i could easily see Williams and Collier between them topping that number - Morgan shot .322 from three for 28 made, but the importance of her taking those shots was twofold - it pulled her defender outside of the lane opening the inside for Stewart, and it made her driving more effective as she was frequently able to blow past her defender.
I think the same will be true for both Collier and Williams, and that they should be able to shoot at least as well as Morgan. I would be happy with the going 30-90 for 33% and it should be doable.

Reaction Score
No, I said Williams and Collier combined would not make 10x as many 3s! Williams made 0 last year and Collier made 2. Thus 10x2 equals 20 which is what I said in my original post that I would be shocked to see. Go back and read my posts its all very clear.

So the question remains----how many will Williams make this year---from your mathematical model/??
Collier's model is clear---not so with Williams---still didn't answer the question--clear like MUD. if Collier made two---10 times 2---equals Colliers number---not Gabbys---so how many do you predict for Gabby this year---????

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I just don't see Williams and Collier making 10x as many 3 pt fgs as they made last year.

If you open your eyes while games are in progress I'm sure you will notice Gabby and Pheesa hitting occasional perimeter shots.;)

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Former Olympic high jump hopeful Gabby Williams focused on basketball

"I will be playing inside so I am trying to improve playing inside, trying to expand my game," Williams said. "I've been working on my 3-point game, working on my pull-up, working on our ball handling and working on how our guards play because I never had to worry about that, I just had to worry about what I did inside."

Her shot was probably never bad but at least these words out of her mouth mean she is definitely making an effort to improve. I think what we saw at First Night is only the beginning...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I will take this opportunity to make the case for Gabby to be the "sixth guy," or first player off the bench.

Why? Combination of skill and versatility -- reminiscent of the ultimate "sixth man," Hall of Famer (7 rings) John Havlicek.

Coming off the bench, she will seamlessly replace Pheesa, Lou or Kia, either (a) halfway through 1st quarter (to add spark or create match-up problems for opponents -- or both) or (b) when any of that trio draws 2 PF's.

She will fit on both ends of the court and play starters' minutes (20-25). On defense she will guard any opponent except for their 1 or 5; when playing zone, out front (perimeter) or back (wing of 2-3).

Gabby Williams. Superbly equipped by her skill and versatility to be UConn's "sixth guy," first off the bench, a la John Havlicek. And ready to "steal the ball.";)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kib - nice post. I would add:
It is a role she has already embraced and has performed extremely well in. In a season where everything is changing, keeping her as the 'sixth starter' is one thing that can be kept the same. If (and it is a big if) the other players in the mix as starters are doing well, the coaches already know how versatile she is in the role - filling multiple needs depending on how the game is playing out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Read a few posts about Gabby and her "lack of a 3 point shot." But I just watched first night and not only did Gabby beat Kia Nurse on a 3 pointer (surprised me too) but her team was quick enough to win the skills competition.

Just sayin :p

Will we see more of that this season?
Most promising thing I saw in the Pace game yesterday was the 3 ball that Gabby splashed from the right corner/wing. She took a couple during First Night as well. He shot was effortless, in perfect rhythm, perfect rotation. If she can take 2.5 attempts/game and make that shot at >30% clip-WATCH OUT!

Reaction Score
Most promising thing I saw in the Pace game yesterday was the 3 ball that Gabby splashed from the right corner/wing. She took a couple during First Night as well. He shot was effortless, in perfect rhythm, perfect rotation. If she can take 2.5 attempts/game and make that shot at >30% clip-WATCH OUT!
I agree Coco. I wonder if Gabby has a move off a 3 point shot fake. She's not a traditional "set" offensive player, like (say) Lou, who has a nice baseline drive to the right side of a fake 3 pointer, and a mid-range jumper coming off the left side of the fake. I've never seen Gabby do a rocker step, etc. to get the defender moving either. So I don't know how much the threat of a 3 pointer would generate easier shots for her, though I completely agree that it spreads the defense and always creates opportunities for a give-and-go.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score

I was thinking the exact same thing. I also think she helped Geno send that perfect message to Lou saying something like "look at Gabby all over the place and even draining threes! when are you gonna show up to the game?"

Gabby was, once again, phenomenal. if Lou can match her intensity watch out this tandem will take over this year and can even outshine a duo like Wilson and Coates (IMO those two make up the best front court in the nation)

Reaction Score
That's less than one made per game.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
All these predictions, Successful shooting is all about confidence and a little help from the opposing defense, (Zone vs. M2M).. Gabby is a high energy effort player, most of her points will be put backs and layup from fast breaks and turnovers, She is not the type of player who will pull-up off her dribble, though she could easily out jump most defenders.. I don't see her running off screens for an open jump shot either but I could be wrong.. :) with all that said I do believe she will still be upgraded to All American Status this season.. And could easily be the leading scorer and rebounder on the team this season.. Fun to watch most definitely!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's less than one made per game.
>30% could be 40%. @40% and 2.5 attempts she would = 1 3PT shot made per game.
Morgan tuck last year made 28 3PT shots in 33 Games and shot 32%. It about keeping the defense honest and taking the shots that will be available in the UCONN offense.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
did I read in a article in the past day or 2 that Gabby mentioned that she didn't have confidence in her game (not 3pt shooting)... that "confidence" word is being used too loosely even by the players.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
did I read in a article in the past day or 2 that Gabby mentioned that she didn't have confidence in her game (not 3pt shooting)... that "confidence" word is being used too loosely even by the players.
I hope that's not the case & she sure doesn't look like it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I hope that's not the case & she sure doesn't look like it.
oh I'm sorry, she said the first 2 seasons... I didn't see it but people throw "confidence" around all willy-nilly these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom