Gabby's 3 point shooting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gabby's 3 point shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Lastly---How dare you be so cruel and indecent to not use my name when you speak of me, as PT Barnum said--say what you want but mention my name (or words to that effect)

The megan watch---as they said in the old daze in rural Ct---it or get off the pot.
hahahaha my co-worker says that often, she's 63 yrs old! I call them "old people phrases"

Reaction Score
I predicted last season that Gabby and Napheesa would be hitting 3's this season. Because of the distance that Geno and staff had them shooting from, you could see them hitting 3's this season.
I would be shocked if Collier and Williams combined made more than 20 3pt field goals this year.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I would be shocked if Collier and Williams combined made more than 20 3pt field goals this year.

"Shocked!":rolleyes:
Shocked!.jpg

Reaction Score
hahahaha my co-worker says that often, she's 63 yrs old! I call them "old people phrases"

So obviously she is too old to be President of the Dog Club.
That IS Rural Connecticut---. Suffield, Simsbury, Greenwich, you know--rural!!

Reaction Score
PREPARE TO BE SHOCKED!!
Geno believes in the 3---he expects his starting 5 to shoot the three effectively--
I just don't see Williams and Collier making 10x as many 3 pt fgs as they made last year.

Reaction Score
Seems like an easy 10 times Zer0---is an easy number to reach---but I suspect she will take instead of a multiplier--possible additive ---of like 3 or more per game. If she's hitting--she'll shoot more.
But don't look for that in game one. Some like Katie LOU need time to feel comfortable hitting them in games. Geno--i believe, will require her to shoot if she has proven she can hit the 3. Unlike some coaches--Geno has his shooters shoot--even when they are missing--he knows eventually they will hit and hit some more.. By the way--thanks for the stat--I was pretty sure that was her exact number for last year.

Reaction Score
Seems like an easy 10 times Zer0---is an easy number to reach---but I suspect she will take instead of a multiplier--possible additive ---of like 3 or more per game. If she's hitting--she'll shoot more.

So you think she will go from attempting 0 3pt fgs last year, to attempting more than Stewart did in her Senior season?

Reaction Score
So you think she will go from attempting 0 3pt fgs last year, to attempting more than Stewart did in her Senior season?
But don't look for that in game one. Some like Katie LOU need time to feel comfortable hitting them in games. Geno--i believe, will require her to shoot if she has proven she can hit the 3. Unlike some coaches--Geno has his shooters shoot--even when they are missing--he knows eventually they will hit and hit some more.. By the way--thanks for the stat--I was pretty sure that was her exact number for last year.
Don't just cut and paste---use the whole posting ---If she is hitting (see above) she'll shoot more. logical, truthful, possible, the key word ----IF IF IF

Reaction Score
I just don't see Williams and Collier making 10x as many 3 pt fgs as they made last year.[/QUOT E]
What is 1 three made in percentages more>.???
When she made ZERO last year---how many did she attempt/?? Zero??? IF so she's hitting 100 percent of all those attempted. If she hits one this year---isn't that an infinite number more than last// ?? As Zero approaches 1 like .0000000001 is to 1---a very large number. Wow Gabby will be great!!!

Reaction Score
Don't just cut and paste---use the whole posting ---If she is hitting (see above) she'll shoot more. logical, truthful, possible, the key word ----IF IF IF

Well, if she shoots the lower end of what you said "3 or more per game", and say UConn plays 37 games this year, then she will attempt at a minimum of 111 3pt fgs. Breanna Stewart last year attempted 108. So you think she will attempt more 3pt fgs this year than Stewart did as a senior?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I agree; those 2 can do more damage closer to the basket, hitting higher percentage shots. They both have the jumping ability, the inside shots and moves to score much more from in close.
Sure, we all like to see players hit the 3 pointers, but let's take the higher percentage shots!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
PREPARE TO BE SHOCKED!!
Geno believes in the 3---he expects his starting 5 to shoot the three effectively--
They may have that many by the Christmas break. You have doubts about their ability to shoot three, because you haven't seen them do it on consistent basis. Geno had other players he wanted to shoot 3's the last two years.

Also please keep in mind that this year's team is a totally different team from last year's. Geno is looking for a net set of "gunslingers.

Just because you haven't seen someone do a thing, doesn't mean they can't. I'm guessing both of them have been working on their perimeter shooting since their first day on campus last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They may have that many by the Christmas break. You have doubts about their ability to shoot three, because you haven't seen them do it on consistent basis. Geno had other players he wanted to shoot 3's the last two years.

Just because you haven't seen someone do a thing, doesn't mean they can't. I'm guessing both of them have been working on their perimeter shooting since their first day on campus last year.

Those of us who have followed Geno et al for nearly 30 years have learned his beliefs to some extent-===those easily defined are: 1. Tough Team Defense 2. Conditioning 3. Geno believes in the 3 ball . Along with 3 goes ; he want's his starters to be pretty fair to excellent 3 ball shooter --obviously he won't sit you if you can't shoot the 3 but are great in the other two functions.
I saw Collier shot the 3 in the USA's --and I bet she is better now. Gabby is a tough determined and successful young woman and shall give to Geno any Basketball attribute he may request.
No--I have not seen Gabby's 3 yet--but as I told Coco--I believe in Geno.. (yet I reserve the right to be a loud mouthed fans)

Reaction Score
Well, if she shoots the lower end of what you said "3 or more per game", and say UConn plays 37 games this year, then she will attempt at a minimum of 111 3pt fgs. Breanna Stewart last year attempted 108. So you think she will attempt more 3pt fgs this year than Stewart did as a senior?
I have seen enough of UCWBB to know ---All things are possible and Gabby is no longer an under grad--she's one of Geno's hand picked 4--
To REPEAT and REPEAT again---IF---IF---IF she shoots the 3 as well as I expect --all numbers are possible with Gabby, Collier, Kia, Katie LOU, Crystal, Butler, Molly, Kyla, Lawlor, Chong (if healthy0
But you didn't answer the question based on your prediction of not above 10 percent additional 3's made.
if she made Zero last year and makes 1 three this year--mathematically/stats wise--what percentage of increase is it// Also-asked--if you approach 1 from Zero--as you approach 1--what kind of number is that???
The Queen is gone---long live our new Queens---I don't base my projections for Gabby on a Wnba player--I base them on Gabby's ability to adapt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree; those 2 can do more damage closer to the basket, hitting higher percentage shots. They both have the jumping ability, the inside shots and moves to score much more from in close.
Sure, we all like to see players hit the 3 pointers, but let's take the higher percentage shots!

Geno has had a few 70 plus percent shooters---Tamika Williams is one. Because you are in the mix of the bigs does not mean you can't/ shouldn't shoot the 3---Steff did that regularly in her Senior year. If Butler gets the time i hope she gets, cuz we need her, she is capable of drilling a 3 now an then too. The three is used, by Geno's teams, not just for opening the inside up, but as a legit scoring entity--take 7 3's and make them--you have to hit 11 2's to exceed that scoring. Percentages.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Geno has had a few 70 plus percent shooters---Tamika Williams is one. Because you are in the mix of the bigs does not mean you can't/ shouldn't shoot the 3---Steff did that regularly in her Senior year. If Butler gets the time i hope she gets, cuz we need her, she is capable of drilling a 3 now an then too. The three is used, by Geno's teams, not just for opening the inside up, but as a legit scoring entity--take 7 3's and make them--you have to hit 11 2's to exceed that scoring. Percentages.
Take 7 3-pointers, and go 7 for 7??.....yeah, right. All the inside people are going to do that?

Reaction Score
I have seen enough of UCWBB to know ---All things are possible and Gabby is no longer an under grad--she's one of Geno's hand picked 4--
To REPEAT and REPEAT again---IF---IF---IF she shoots the 3 as well as I expect --all numbers are possible with Gabby, Collier, Kia, Katie LOU, Crystal, Butler, Molly, Kyla, Lawlor, Chong (if healthy0
But you didn't answer the question based on your prediction of not above 10 percent additional 3's made.
if she made Zero last year and makes 1 three this year--mathematically/stats wise--what percentage of increase is it// Also-asked--if you approach 1 from Zero--as you approach 1--what kind of number is that???
The Queen is gone---long live our new Queens---I don't base my projections for Gabby on a Wnba player--I base them on Gabby's ability to adapt.

No, I said Williams and Collier combined would not make 10x as many 3s! Williams made 0 last year and Collier made 2. Thus 10x2 equals 20 which is what I said in my original post that I would be shocked to see. Go back and read my posts its all very clear.

Reaction Score

Dolson made all of 8 3 pt fgs her senior season.

Reaction Score
Take 7 3-pointers, and go 7 for 7??.....yeah, right. All the inside people are going to do that?
OK---take 14 3 pointers and (KML) makes 50 percent of them --you have 21 points --it takes 22 2 pointers at 50 percent to get 22 points (ie exceed the 21 points) ---it's more efficient to get 21 points for less shots---and out on the perimeter--the shots can be (note can) with less defense.
It is a belief Geno has stated a lot in the past---he likes 3 ball shots --from great shooters.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
OK---take 14 3 pointers and (KML) makes 50 percent of them --you have 21 points --it takes 22 2 pointers at 50 percent to get 22 points (ie exceed the 21 points) ---it's more efficient to get 21 points for less shots---and out on the perimeter--the shots can be (note can) with less defense.
It is a belief Geno has stated a lot in the past---he likes 3 ball shots --from great shooters.
You said it all in your last 3 WORDS: "from great shooters".....many statements in this thread are talking about centers and other inside players who were NOT known for being 3 point shooters.....KLM was a different story, but you have to be realistic about which players on the current roster you are talking about!........you must be a Math teacher who does not coach basketball, on the side.

Reaction Score
You said it all in your last 3 WORDS: "from great shooters".....many statements in this thread are talking about centers and other inside players who were NOT known for being 3 point shooters.....KLM was a different story, but you have to be realistic about which players on the current roster you are talking about!...you must be a Math teacher who does not coach basketball, on the side.

NO . TO either hypothesis. of course you do not buy into the theory---just a theory--that intelligent athletic WoMEn can be taught to be better than good 3 point shooter--however it appear to be a theory Geno has believed in--but what does he know/// Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom