Gabby Williams Suspended for WNBA Season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams Suspended for WNBA Season

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Drove 8 hours from Vegas to Reno to see UConn play Nevada. I had made reservations and had the ticket once the season was announced. I was so anxious to see Lou play in person, along with the rest of the Huskies. I was upset when Lou hurt herself in the Cal game and had hoped that she would be able to play in Reno. Even though Lou sat out I was mesmerized with the team and thought it was funny that Kia stole the homecoming game for Gabby. Gabby had some wonderful highlights and had some plays that I didn't think someone her size should be able to do. The Wolfpack did their best, but it wasn't enough to beat the Huskies. I was surprised that there were so many UConn fans in the stands and that almost 60% of the fans seemed to be rooting for Gabby and the Huskies. The attendance was and still is the largest for a women's basketball game in the State of Nevada, College or Pro with 7,815 fans.

Reaction Score
Geez. Rooting for LA is just too much. :oops:
But I will root for Gabby anywhere she goes....it's kind of like "I love you forever thing...."

This year in the EuroLeague, her mind has finally caught up with her physical attributes and showed real confidence in what she can do on court.....I didn't think those two years of missed HS BB was a big deal but I guess it was (formative years in her BB life). First team all-star, defensive player of the year.....she has passed the threshold of confidence towards consistent magnificent playing.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, it is instructive to read the gibberish of the Chicago coach seeking to explain the inexplicable approach he had to Gabby's situation. The print is tiny so click into Twitter and click on the Q & A and it'll get readable.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, it is instructive to read the gibberish of the Chicago coach seeking to explain the inexplicable approach he had to Gabby's situation. The print is tiny so click into Twitter and click on the Q & A and it'll get readable.

He may not be eloquent but this all worked out well for Chicago.

He freed up a roster spot and ensured that Gabby can't play for a rival this season. And instead of cutting her for nothing he got at least a modest return back for a player he wasn't going to have cap space to re-sign anyway.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The Wolfpack is the name of the NC State team. Nevada-Reno are the Wolf Pack.
I'm a Rebel and hate the Wolfpack, it's the nicest name we call them.

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to know the timetables for the return of all WNBA players who played in Europe this season, based on their team's performance. Also adding in which international teams they play for, if any.

Is it possible the Sky GM was unable to differentiate between domestic and international league commitments? Basically are there any other players in a similar situations and what did their teams do?

Also given the teams have been in discussions with each other since the draft, the devil's advocate in me wonders whether it is possible the Sparks asked the Sky to Suspend Williams for the full season before they would finalize a trade?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He may not be eloquent but this all worked out well for Chicago.

He freed up a roster spot and ensured that Gabby can't play for a rival this season. And instead of cutting her for nothing he got at least a modest return back for a player he wasn't going to have cap space to re-sign anyway.
He sounds like hack. Running one of your best players off the team is no recipe for success.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
He sounds like hack. Running one of your best players off the team is no recipe for success.
She requested the trade and she was no better than the 8th best player on the team (Vandersloot, Quigley, Deshields, Parker, Stevens, Copper, Dolson being the top 7 in no particular order)

Reaction Score
She requested the trade and she was no better than the 8th best player on the team (Vandersloot, Quigley, Deshields, Parker, Stevens, Copper, Dolson being the top 7 in no particular order)
Coach Wade does not know how to utilize his players and get the most out of there skill set. Gabby is better off with another team.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Coach Wade does not know how to utilize his players and get the most out of there skill set. Gabby is better off with another team.

I realize that James Wade is the big bad wolf in these parts because neither KLS or Gabby thrived under him, but plenty of other players have hit career peaks under him. Cheyenne Parker earned a max contract playing for him. Kahleah Copper had a career year last year. Vandersloot averaged 10 assists a game playing for him. Astou Ndour played so well in 2019 for Wade that Dallas gave her a max contract that they immediately regretted.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I actually watched some Sky last season. She was one their best players.
Gabby often played out of position out of necessity and her best basketball is ahead of her. I really enjoyed rooting for her and was upset when I heard the news the Sky were looking to trade her. She's a valuable piece to any rotation because of her defensive ability, her hustle, and her versatility.

That being said,...

Out of 10 Sky players who played more than 100 minutes last year, she was 8th in PER and 8th in Win Shares/40 minutes. In 2019, she was 8th out of 10 in PER and 10th in WS/40.

Maybe those numbers underrate her slightly because it's difficult to statistically account for defense, but they match the eye test. If she was 6'3 or had a reliable 3-point jump shot she'd be dynamite. If she had both, she would be an MVP candidate. As it stands, I saw a Swiss army knife bench player who was a classic tweener.

I'm sure the reason she wanted a trade was to break free of a coach who saw it that way and prove otherwise. I look forward to seeing whether she proves me wrong.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Gabby often played out of position out of necessity and her best basketball is ahead of her. I really enjoyed rooting for her and was upset when I heard the news the Sky were looking to trade her. She's a valuable piece to any rotation because of her defensive ability, her hustle, and her versatility.

That being said,...

Out of 10 Sky players who played more than 100 minutes last year, she was 8th in PER and 8th in Win Shares/40 minutes. In 2019, she was 8th out of 10 in PER and 10th in WS/40.

Maybe those numbers underrate her slightly because it's difficult to statistically account for defense, but they match the eye test. If she was 6'3 or had a reliable 3-point jump shot she'd be dynamite. If she had both, she would be an MVP candidate. As it stands, I saw a Swiss army knife bench player who was a classic tweener.

I'm sure the reason she wanted a trade was to break free of a coach who saw it that way and prove otherwise. I look forward to seeing whether she proves me wrong.
Aren't Chicago's core players old? Parker, Sloot, Quigley, even Dolson has 7 years under her belt and will be 30 in less than a year.
Bad mistake to get rid of Gabby, IMO

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Chicago finished 12-22 in 2017 and 13-21 in 2018, under former HC and GM Amber Stocks. James Wade went 20-14 in 2019 and 12-10 in 2020, for a combined record of 32-24 (.571) -- a record that was earned with DeShields missing 9 out of 22 games and struggling in the other 13 due to a knee injury.

In Chicago's 15 seasons, there have only been three times where the franchise won 20 games in a season -- and Wade did so in his first season (2019), guiding the team to the third-best record in history and winning the WNBA COY award in the process.

Under his guidance, Diamond DeShields became a first-time All Star (2019), while Courtney Vandersloot earned WNBA All-First Team honors (2019, 2020) and became the first player in WNBA history to averaged 10.0 assists per game. As noted above, both Astou Ndour and Cheyenne Parker developed under his tutelage, parlaying their performances into big contracts.

Is he infallible? Of course not.
But has he earned the benefit of the doubt, based on his two years with the Sky? Yes.

Reaction Score
I just wonder if it is normal for players to request trade in WNBA?
I understand that those players will get blamed in NBA.

Reaction Score
Other than Dolson and Z, if no other UConn player suits up for James Wade, it will be a godsend

Reaction Score

Maybe those numbers underrate her slightly because it's difficult to statistically account for defense, but they match the eye test. If she was 6'3 or had a reliable 3-point jump shot she'd be dynamite.
Although 3pt% has the most fluctuation, if this most recent European season is any indication, I think she is heading in the right direction.

1620704223084.png

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I just wonder if it is normal for players to request trade in WNBA?
I understand that those players will get blamed in NBA.
It's normal for players to request trades away from Chicago, lol.

Toliver, Fowles, Delle Donne, Prince all did it

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm a Rebel and hate the Wolfpack, it's the nicest name we call them.
Just curious: Which is the flagship state university? (or another school?)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom