Gabby Williams Suspended for WNBA Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams Suspended for WNBA Season

Reaction Score
Sadly, the Sky don't really have incentive to keep Gabby happy because they know that they are losing her at the end of the season.

If true, there is no benefit to the Sky to continue the relationship with her. Do they think she will do a sign and trade next off season? Why would any team make a trade when they can sign her as FA next season?

By suspending her it just looks petty, unfortunately with so few roster spots available in the entire league, it probably won't negatively impact the willingness of players to join their team in the future but it could impact some fans opinions of the team and the league.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
If true, there is no benefit to the Sky to continue the relationship with her. Do they think she will do a sign and trade next off season? Why would any team make a trade when they can sign her as FA next season?

By suspending her it just looks petty, unfortunately with so few roster spots available in the entire league, it probably won't negatively impact the willingness of players to join their team in the future but it could impact some fans opinions of the team and the league.
She was going to be a restricted free agent next year.

I don't know exactly how the suspension affects things. I read that she will be "reserved" after the suspension, which means Chicago will have exclusive negotiating rights, but I haven't seen that confirmed.

Either way, they should be able to sign and trade her next off-season.

Reaction Score
Gabby's mother is from France.
In some countries in Europe if you are a talented athlete if you have less than one percent of their countries nationality roots they will make you a citizen.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Are there other WNBA in the same position as Gabby? Emma Meeseman maybe?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Are there other WNBA in the same position as Gabby? Emma Meeseman maybe?
Haven't heard anything definitive on Emma or on Allemand. Probably forgetting some others. Unclear if they will be suspended or will play after the Olympics.

Ndour is playing for Spain at Eurobasket. I think Wade said they had calculated she will miss 6 games.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In the big picture, the Chicago Sky is a pixel.

Reaction Score
Is Bria Hartley still on the French national team? (can't find their current roster other than in Wikipedia)

Reaction Score
Is Bria Hartley still on the French national team? (can't find their current roster other than in Wikipedia)

I don’t know if she is but she won’t be playing. She’s still rehabbing from her torn acl

Reaction Score
I think the French are very easy when it comes to granting citizenship. I believe the Coneheads claimed to be French citizens. Any country that inducts Jerry Lewis into their Legion of Honor does not have very high standards.

Reaction Score
Frustrating that we wont get to see Gabby at all in the W this season, but happy that it looks like she is very likely to play at the Olympics.

Based on the articles I've seen about Chicago trying to trade her and the response from people close to Gabby around this "suspension", its seems likely that Gabby wont be playing for Chicago again.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Frustrating that we wont get to see Gabby at all in the W this season, but happy that it looks like she is very likely to play at the Olympics.

Based on the articles I've seen about Chicago trying to trade her and the response from people close to Gabby around this "suspension", its seems likely that Gabby wont be playing for Chicago again.
If that's true, I think Stewie and Lou would lobby for their friend and former teammate.

Reaction Score
Chicago Sky
Player (20)Pos.Avg. Salary
Gabby WilliamsF$58,045
Shyla HealG$70,389
Ruthy HebardF$68,339
Natasha MackF$64,457
In France,

What went into your decision to play overseas in the first place?

Honestly, it’s the money. I hate to say it, but financially, if I have to choose, it’s a no brainer. I play overseas. I read a recent Breanna Stewart interview where they asked her why she was going to Russia to play, and she said the real question is, “Why would I come back to the WNBA? I get $900,000 from the Russian team I play for.

The Courant article said something about $70,000 kicking in this season. Sometimes these things are not so clear

Reaction Score
Of all the players I have seen at UConn, I love Gabby the most. Starting her freshman year after missing the last two years of HS BB from injuries and still rehabbing from surgery, the growth from uncertainty on the court to commanding performances during her junior and senior years against opponents of all sizes and skill sets......are indelibly etched in my memory. Last second losses in the FF cannot dim them.

Reaction Score
I would say that about Gabby: the most awe inspiring game i ever seen by a player in WBB was the game against ND in the regular season where Gabby guarded Turner and played so hard that by the end of it she was absolutely spent. That was what 110% effort looks like.

Reaction Score
talk of gabby and bria playing on the same Olympic team, id be pissed if I was Mitchell or Whitcomb. Mitchell’s mum is Aussie and has citizenship but still classed as naturalised And so only one can be taken.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Sky trades Gabby Williams to Sparks for rookie Stephanie Watts, rights to Leonie Fiebich

"Williams will remain on the suspended list for the 2021 season to honor her French national team commitments, the Sparks said.

“We’re excited to bring Gabby Williams into the L.A. Sparks organization,” general manager and coach Derek Fisher said. “At just 24 years old, Gabby is a versatile player who still has the potential to make a major impact in this league. She fits into what we’re building in Los Angeles and we look forward to the future with her in a Sparks uniform.”

This trade has been in the works since draft night."

Reaction Score
Of all the players I have seen at UConn, I love Gabby the most. Starting her freshman year after missing the last two years of HS BB from injuries and still rehabbing from surgery, the growth from uncertainty on the court to commanding performances during her junior and senior years against opponents of all sizes and skill sets......are indelibly etched in my memory. Last second losses in the FF cannot dim them.

Likewise - from the moment I first saw her as a freshman I adored her. She would get in for a few minutes here and there in her freshman year and I used to think "who is this person who runs like a deer, soars like an eagle, and looks like an angel"..? When she really broke out during her junior year and made AA I was beyond thrilled....! I remember Geno saying - paraphrasing here - when Gabby Williams guards you, you are guarded....!

Reaction Score
Just read the Courant article about the Williams trade to the Sparks. Looks like the W needs to up their game in terms of salaries (again) to make it worthwhile for the players to stay here and play. It appears many of the players are using the W as an off-season stay in shape league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom