Future UCONN coach (merged threads) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Future UCONN coach (merged threads)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Kelly Faris's pro career is likely winding down. If she doesn't land a coaching gig at UConn, I hope she lands one somewhere. If she's inclined, she'll be a head coach somewhere.
I don’t know. After watching her appear to be not enjoying the UConn game against DePaul the other night (after traveling, presumably from Indianapolis, to see it), I wonder if she would be able to make an emotional connection with the players to inspire them to put forth the kind of effort that she always did. Either she actually wasn’t enjoying the game, or she is just so naturally laconic that she wouldn’t reach the players at more than a cerebral level.

Reaction Score
Absolutely correct, but most get their first HC job with a lesser program than the perennially top program in the country. Geno certainly did...

I agree, most do get their first HC job at lesser programs. However there are a number of examples demonstrating that prior HC experience at a lesser program doesn't matter. In pro FB: Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, Don Shula, Mike Tomlin just to name a few. In pro BB: Pat Riley and Greg Popovich (technically, Popovich coached at a very small college in CA before spending 8 years as an assistant before being named the Spurs HC). In CFB: John McKay Sr. at USC and Mark Richt among others, and while Richt didn't win a NC at UGA he was successful for there 15 years having to compete in the SEC. In MLB without spending a lot of time I can't think of some examples, but it will be interesting to see what happens with Aaron Boone. If he's successful will everyone say it's because of the players he had and that he comes from a baseball family and learned how to manage from a manager that was a big part of his life? Could the same thing ever be said about Shea Ralph?

Reaction Score
I hope that Geno coach a hundred more years and wins a million more games.

That said, who do you believe is The Logical successor when Gino finally decides to retire?

Chris Dailey and Shea Ralph are my first two thoughts. Curious as to what others think.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Just FYI, it's "Geno", not "Gino".
And, given their respective ages, it seems unlikely that CD would take the reins as the UConn head coach. About the only scenario that I could see this happening is an unpleasant one, where Geno has to step down unexpectedly and CD runs the boat for a year or so while a formal, careful search ensues.
While Shea has built a good coaching pedigree, you are still talking about being the HC of the UCH, to paraphrase Bill Belichick. Folks seem to assume that it'll be an "in-house" hire, but, prior head coaching experience at a highly competitive program would seem to be a logical prerequisite. Don't rule out an up-and-coming head coach from another power conference.

Reaction Score

That said, who do you believe is The Logical successor when Gino finally decides to retire?

Chris Dailey and Shea Ralph are my first two thoughts. Curious as to what others think.

Mike Francesa

Reaction Score
I don't even like to think about this, but I think you're right. If Daley wanted it, UConn would have to do it, but let's assume that isn't the case and see who else there is: Shea is a logical choice, but, as others have suggested, the downside is she's never been a head coach. People keep suggesting Rizotti or Berube. I don't see either. Rizotti has the fire but I'm not sure about her ability to strategize. Her star seems to have leveled off, to say the least. Berube seems to be a very smart coach, but has absolutely no experience recruiting, so she's not a viable candidate. No one else on the UConn tree has a record that's even close to being good enough to warrant consideration.

So I would look for a relatively young -- or maybe not so young -- coaching star who would be enticed by the fact that it's UConn. Someone like Rueck or maybe Graves, or Karl Smesko at FGCU.

Reaction Score

My choice would be either Carla Berube or Jen Rizzotti.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Probably won't be Chris Dailey as I see her and Geno retiring at the same time. They'll go out as they came in as a Pair. Both have too much to lose not to do so, if the program doesn't maintain the same level of success with only one of them.

I think the AD at the time Geno decides to retire will have a huge decision to make as IMO there's not a logical choice from Geno's coaching tree. Jen Rizzotti and Tonya Cardoza have had the most success but haven't built an elite program thats annually in the Top 20. They are still relatively unknown and wouldn't be a splash hire.

Shea and Marisa have no head coaching experience. IMO both need to get Head Coaching Experience before an AD would hire them as the next Head Coach. Now if Sue Bird would join Geno's staff and be an assistant coach for a couple of years, I could see her being hired as the next Head Coach. She has the Media Savvy and Personality to take over and would be a Splash Hire. If Carla Berube joins Geno's staff as assistant coach with announced plans that she will be Geno's replacement, that might work. She wouldn't be the Splash Hire that Sue would be.

The temptation will be to attempt to hire a Head Coach from an existing High Profile Elite P5 school. The contacted Head Coaches will have to evaluate do we leave a P5 school that has more resources then UConn to follow Geno. Many will see it as no win situation, especially if UConn is still in the American Conference. Might have more success getting a Head Coach from a quality Mid Major that has a history of making the tournament on a yearly basis.

Fortunately from reading the existing tea leaves, we don't have to worry about Geno's replacement for a few more years.

Reaction Score
THERE IS NO LOGICAL SUCCESSOR TO GENO, NONE! Whorr may do a good job WHEN Geno leaves--make no mistake, Geno one day will be gone.
Most search teams will look for : 1 A coach with a winning record 2. One with no scandals, works well with players 3. Has a record of working with the community 4.Find innovative was of developing the program 5. Will accept less than Geno

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Did Geno have any HC experience when he was hired at Connecticut?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
CD has indicated she will leave when Geno leaves. While there are a number of good candidates, I have to believe Shea gets the job. She’s had the opportunity to learn under the master for 10+ years and she bleeds Husky Blue.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Probably won't be Chris Dailey as I see her and Geno retiring at the same time. They'll go out as they came in as a Pair. Both have too much to lose not to do so, if the program doesn't maintain the same level of success with only one of them.

I think the AD at the time Geno decides to retire will have a huge decision to make as IMO there's not a logical choice from Geno's coaching tree. Jen Rizzotti and Tonya Cardoza have had the most success but haven't built an elite program thats annually in the Top 20. They are still relatively unknown and wouldn't be a splash hire.

Shea and Marisa have no head coaching experience. IMO both need to get Head Coaching Experience before an AD would hire them as the next Head Coach. Now if Sue Bird would join Geno's staff and be an assistant coach for a couple of years, I could see her being hired as the next Head Coach. She has the Media Savvy and Personality to take over and would be a Splash Hire. If Carla Berube joins Geno's staff as assistant coach with announced plans that she will be Geno's replacement, that might work. She wouldn't be the Splash Hire that Sue would be.

The temptation will be to attempt to hire a Head Coach from an existing High Profile Elite P5 school. The contacted Head Coaches will have to evaluate do we leave a P5 school that has more resources then UConn to follow Geno. Many will see it as no win situation, especially if UConn is still in the American Conference. Might have more success getting a Head Coach from a quality Mid Major that has a history of making the tournament on a yearly basis.

Fortunately from reading the existing tea leaves, we don't have to worry about Geno's replacement for a few more years.

So you're saying Sue Bird doesn't need any head coaching experience? She could just sit by Geno's side for a couple of years and then, voila, she's ready to take over the reins? Head coaching experience is not necessary as long as the hire is "splashy?" That's crazy. Sue will make an excellent coach if that is what she chooses to do but she's not ready to take that step. Plus, Sue has already said she has no desire to live in Storrs so she's not coming.

There will be a temptation to hire a Head Coach from a High Profile Elite P5 school? Really? Do you really think Dave Benedict (or whoever is the AD when Geno retires) will decide Geno's successor without input from Geno? Is Geno just going to walk away and tell Dave Benedict that the future of the program he built over 30-40 years is 100% in his (AD Dave's) hands and it's okay to turn it over to someone outside the UConn family?

By the way, what head coach from a High Profile Elite P5 school in his or her right mind would a) choose to follow in the footsteps of and be compared to the most successful coach in the history of the game, and b) choose to leave a P5 school to join a conference with the likes of Memphis, Tulsa, Cincinnati, etc? No coach from a High Profile Elite P5 school in his or her right mind would choose to do that. Plus, given the serious $$ issues the UConn athletic department is currently facing and will continue to face in the future, UConn will not be able to afford a coach from a High Profile Elite P5 school.

Geno is not going to be okay with handing his program over to some outsider from a P5 conference or a mid-major conference. That's just crazy.

The next head coach will be part of the UConn family and likely sitting on the bench right now. If that assistant coach believed she first needed head coaching experience, then she'd be out there gaining that experience right now or she'd choose to do so very soon.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
There's a HUGE difference taking over UConn, when Geno did, then trying to Replace Geno who's built the #1 WBB Program. Ideally IMO whoever takes over for Geno has had Head Coaching Experience at a school with a tradition of making the tournament.

Holly sat at the side of Pat for a long time and was the logical successor and apparently Pat chose her. Not saying either definitely will be, but whose to say Shea or Marissa won't be like Holly if one of them is Geno's replacement. Like Holly, IMO neither would not be a splash hire. Personally I would chose Jen over either of them. I think Jen's better suited to handle the Media Pressure that comes with the UConn job and has Head Coaching experience.

I mentioned Sue as I was thinking outside the box and Sue would be a creative hire. Also said she had to be part of Geno's staff to get coaching experience. Do I realistically expect it would happen, no I don't. Also if Sue were to be part of Geno's staff, if would mean that Chris retired before Geno and/or Shea or Marissa took a job somewhere else.

I did imply that a High Profile P5 coach would not want to replace Geno, especially if UConn was still in the American Conference.

When its time for the AD to hire Geno's replacement, they'll have a tough job.

Did Geno have any HC experience when he was hired at Connecticut?

Reaction Score
There's a HUGE difference taking over UConn, when Geno did, then trying to Replace Geno who's built the #1 WBB Program. Ideally IMO whoever takes over for Geno has had Head Coaching Experience at a school with a tradition of making the tournament.

Holly sat at the side of Pat for a long time and was the logical successor and apparently Pat chose her. Not saying either definitely will be, but whose to say Shea or Marissa won't be like Holly if one of them is Geno's replacement. Like Holly, IMO neither would not be a splash hire. Personally I would chose Jen over either of them. I think Jen's better suited to handle the Media Pressure that comes with the UConn job and has Head Coaching experience.

I mentioned Sue as I was thinking outside the box and Sue would be a creative hire. Also said she had to be part of Geno's staff to get coaching experience. Do I realistically expect it would happen, no I don't. Also if Sue were to be part of Geno's staff, if would mean that Chris retired before Geno and/or Shea or Marissa took a job somewhere else.

I did imply that a High Profile P5 coach would not want to replace Geno, especially if UConn was still in the American Conference.

When its time for the AD to hire Geno's replacement, they'll have a tough job.

Here’s my strategy. UVA hires Shea as their new head coach for next year. That happens because UVA’s new athletic director played for Andy Landers at Georgia. Andy’s her mentor and, I believe, friends with Geno. This give Shea head coaching experience and returns a “favor” to UVA, who gave us Geno. Shea then returns to UCONN (assuming she’s been successful at UVA) when Geno retires. PERFECT!

Reaction Score
What about just shutting the whole program down if Geno leaves? Orrrrrrrrrrrr not. Does anyone think that Louisville Jeff has a chance?

Reaction Score
there is just far too long between games right now. this thread is just going around in silly circles....come Tuesday, we'll all have something worthy to write about.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
What about just shutting the whole program down if Geno leaves? Orrrrrrrrrrrr not. Does anyone think that Louisville Jeff has a chance?

Well of course Jeff has a chance. I mean, who wouldn't trade coaching in the ACC for the opportunity to coach in the AAC and be compared to Geno? I bet Jeff would take a pay cut for that opportunity.

Reaction Score
Well of course Jeff has a chance. I mean, who wouldn't trade coaching in the ACC for the opportunity to coach in the AAC and be compared to Geno? I bet Jeff would take a pay cut for that opportunity.
I am sensing a bit of sarcasm. That aside.... everyone is compared to Geno... he is the coaching yardstick by whom all others are measured. And taking over a team like UCONN might be almost every coach's dream.... it would be mine. How many ACC WBB teams have won a National Championship in recent years? And Jeff has had two teams in N.C. games recently so he must know a little about coaching. Don't know anything about the pay cut issue, but I am aware that Geno makes around $2,000,000 a year so UCONN isn't shy about paying their coaches well. But there seems to be an issue about keeping the UCONN coaching position for a former UCONN player. I was just curious about other's opinions about his chances... so thank you for your input.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don’t get why so many posters feel that prior HC experience is a requirement to be considered as a potential replacement for Geno at UConn. Everyone should be reminded that in 1985 UConn hired a little known assistant out of UVA as their HC and he wasn’t half bad.

Replicating UConn’s success will be extremely difficult for anyone who follows Geno. IMO, if you don’t have an intimate understanding of how the program runs from evaluating recruits, through running practices to game planning it’s virtually impossible to maintain the same level of success at UConn.

That is why, IMO, the only possible replacement for Geno has to be a coach that has worked for him, and learned from him, for over 10 years. Shea has to get the job. Hopefully, Marissa stays on as the Ast HC to provide even more continuity once Geno & CD walk off into the sunset.

Reaction Score
Replicating UConn’s success will be extremely difficult for anyone who follows Geno. IMO, if you don’t have an intimate understanding of how the program runs from evaluating recruits, through running practices to game planning it’s virtually impossible to maintain the same level of success at UConn.

That is why, IMO, the only possible replacement for Geno has to be a coach that has worked for him, and learned from him, for over 10 years. Shea has to get the job. Hopefully, Marissa stays on as the Ast HC to provide even more continuity once Geno & CD walk off into the sunset.
So why increase the degree of difficulty even further by having the new coach have to learn how to be a head coach for the first time on top of everything else?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom