Future UCONN coach (merged threads) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Future UCONN coach (merged threads)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yes. We are starting to divert this thread. :D

Reaction Score
Kia would be a fantastic coach, but not the next one--too soon. Much as I love Jen, I'm thinking her teammate is the next UConn coach:

View attachment 26796

Carla may be a fine BB coach, but she has no experience recruiting the highest level scholarship athletes. Shea does and she has been schooled in the UCONN (Geno) way as a player and a coach.

Reaction Score
Shea needs to go out now and get some head coaching experience. UConn isn't going to hire a head coach with no HC experience.

Reaction Score
The only problem with that is Berube has said several times that she is very happy in her current position and that she has no desire to coach elsewhere.

The other problem is that being a successful DIII coach doesn't necessarily equate to being successful coach at the UConn level.
I was a big fan of Berube, but she has absolutely no experience recruiting and would be a liability from the get-go. Also, she is very smart and undoubtedly would recgonize this weakness and probably would turn down the job in the unlikely event it was offered to her.

Reaction Score
The OP is absolutely right about Kia Nurse. If I could pick any UConn player -- any -- to have dinner with, just for the conversation, I'd pick Kia because she is so smart and quick and articulate and insightful and has that wicked sense of humor. Anyway, it would be a waste of a brain, but she could do sports commentary with very little training.

Reaction Score
The OP is absolutely right about Kia Nurse. If I could pick any UConn player -- any -- to have dinner with, just for the conversation, I'd pick Kia because she is so smart and quick and articulate and insightful and has that wicked sense of humor. Anyway, it would be a waste of a brain, but she could do sports commentary with very little training.
I'm picking The Gabulous One!!!!!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Neither Kia Nurse nor Berube will be the coach in 10 years. Not even close.

It's likely Shea.
Runner up: JRizz
Shea yes, Jen no. Jen has fizzled these last few years as her tenure wound down in Hartford, those teams were not dominating the conference and I watched the GW game the other day against Mercer which left me extremely disappointed. Other than Carla, I am hard pressed to name another assistant who commands the HC role in their current position that we would expect to continue on at in Storrs. After Carla, the next best might be Cardoza at Temple but even that underwhelms me. Staley had built that program into respectability and Tanya has barely kept it at that level. Jamelle while a great competitor, not so great a coach (and please let's not go into the lack of support at Cincinnati). Geno's tree is not bearing much fruit, which is quite shocking to me considering the unbelievable list of players he developed and who trump his wizardry at any microphone (and deservedly so). The heir apparent is not so apparent. My guess in 5 years, it's Shea but who knows, I just want to enjoy this year and next year and keep whistling past the graveyard...:eek:

Reaction Score
I say Shea also but the my next pick would be Lobo. She is smart, has a great personality, wicked sense of humor, high BB IQ, an AA and in the HOF! Also every recruit, player and fan of WCBB knows who she is! She doesnt need HC experience!

Reaction Score
How did Geno get his job at UConn?
At the time they hired Geno UConn was an absolute nobody, not established as the premier program in the country. WBB was the lowest possible priority. It would be unfair to hire someone now who didn't have head coaching experience - unfair to the candidate, unfair to the players, and unfair to the fans. Not to mention a huge, potentially career-ending, bone-head move for whoever the AD is at that point.

Shea is talented, and she knows UConn so well she IS UConn. But she doesn't know how to be a head coach. That's not something you learn by watching. If she wants this job then she needs to go get the experience.

Reaction Score
Everyone wins.

Jen - head coach
Shea - associate head coach
Marisa - assistant coach
Carla - assistant coach

Reaction Score
News Flash!
I’m applying so slow your roll!
I’m next! So there!

Reaction Score
I say Shea also but the my next pick would be Lobo. She is smart, has a great personality, wicked sense of humor, high BB IQ, an AA and in the HOF! Also every recruit, player and fan of WCBB knows who she is! She doesnt need HC experience!

No. Absolutely not.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I would not want to be the person that follows Mr Geno..... Not a good history of success for those folks that replaced Legends in the coaching world..... But then again, I would never be in that position so it will be fun to watch when it happens.....
This was a point emphasized by Gary Blair last year in his postgame comments after beating Tennessee. He said he twice had opportunities to replace a coaching legend (I forget exactly, but I think one of them was Louisiana Tech) and he declined both times because it's such a mission impossible.

Reaction Score
At the time they hired Geno UConn was an absolute nobody, not established as the premier program in the country. WBB was the lowest possible priority. It would be unfair to hire someone now who didn't have head coaching experience - unfair to the candidate, unfair to the players, and unfair to the fans. Not to mention a huge, potentially career-ending, bone-head move for whoever the AD is at that point.

Shea is talented, and she knows UConn so well she IS UConn. But she doesn't know how to be a head coach. That's not something you learn by watching. If she wants this job then she needs to go get the experience.

I guess, in your opinion, promoting withing an organization is not an option? Well, I disagree. Some programs prefer to maintain the same successful philosophy and continuity and promotion within the ranks is their best option.
Either way it is a never a sure thing. It is difficult to judge. For example, on the one hand, Jen has head coaching experience for years and her records are good, not outstanding but she never had the prestige of UConn to recruit and on the other hand, Shea who has coached for a dozen years under Geno and knows exactly what Geno does everyday and what he wants done every day and knows how the program is run but has never actually run a program.

One thing is certain, neither one is Geno, nor is anyone else. We can discuss this until we are blue in the face, one dumb/wrong decision by the AD and UConn is set back for years. See UConn Football, Tennessee.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
My heart is set on DT. She is unique in all of WBB. She is winding down an amazing career and would be ideal if she spent a couple years interning under Geno. I don't know if she can coach but I love the personality

Reaction Score
This was a point emphasized by Gary Blair last year in his postgame comments after beating Tennessee. He said he twice had opportunities to replace a coaching legend (I forget exactly, but I think one of them was Louisiana Tech) and he declined both times because it's such a mission impossible.

This is so true - you do not want to follow a legend. Period. And for sure, if you do, you better have a damn fine record of your own that will cause potential recruits to pause and consider. No assistants need apply. I've said this in another post, but we need to enjoy what we have as long as Geno is there. It's so special and unique and won't be repeated. Once he leaves, no matter who succeeds him, the chain is broken and UConn will become just like Notre Dame, Baylor, So. Carolina, etc. - excellent WBB teams who will compete for a place in the final four most every year.

Reaction Score
Regardless of what we think, UConn WBB is the "Geno Way" not the "UConn Way". When Geno unlaces the sneaks the entire dynamic changes no matter who gets the distinction of following him. Those folks looking for parity in WBB will be the happiest because the pack will tighten up.....

Reaction Score
Everyone wins.

Jen - head coach
Shea - associate head coach
Marisa - assistant coach
Carla - assistant coach

Of course, realistically Geno hasn't produced much of a coaching tree. Best option is probably someone who has never been a part of the program. But are the fans ready for that?

Reaction Score
I guess, in your opinion, promoting withing an organization is not an option? Well, I disagree. Some programs prefer to maintain the same successful philosophy and continuity and promotion within the ranks is their best option.
Either way it is a never a sure thing. It is difficult to judge. For example, on the one hand, Jen has head coaching experience for years and her records are good, not outstanding but she never had the prestige of UConn to recruit and on the other hand, Shea who has coached for a dozen years under Geno and knows exactly what Geno does everyday and what he wants done every day and knows how the program is run but has never actually run a program.

One thing is certain, neither one is Geno, nor is anyone else. We can discuss this until we are blue in the face, one dumb/wrong decision by the AD and UConn is set back for years. See UConn Football, Tennessee.
I'll agree that either way it is a never a sure thing. It could work out well either way, and it could fail either way. My alma mater, Oklahoma, just promoted their very young offensive coordinator with no head coaching experience to replace Bob Stoops, the winningest OU coach of all time, and it's working out pretty well so far.

Still think Shea would be smart to go out and get HC experience. There's one thing that for certain isn't a sure thing, and that's that she will 'automatically' be hired to replace Geno. Even if someone wanted to make that commitment to her, there could be no 'real' commitment - who knows if that AD would even be around when the time comes?

Reaction Score
Of course, realistically Geno hasn't produced much of a coaching tree. Best option is probably someone who has never been a part of the program. But are the fans ready for that?
While Geno's assistants are paid significantly more than most head coaches (its published as part of the UConn salary review each year), would be unusual if they would stay if a new Head Coach was named over them. Would also be normal for the new Head Coach to want his/her own staff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom