Future UCONN coach (merged threads) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Future UCONN coach (merged threads)

Reaction Score
Love Shea. She is still my all time favorite. But that doesn't mean she would be a great coach. Still, I would be willing to give her a chance.

I think people like Geno are rare because they possess a unique combination of traits. First, he doesn't give a crap what anyone thinks. He does what needs to, even if players or fans get upset. Second, he is very intelligent. Third, he sees the whole game and doesn't get tunnel vision when the tension rises. He doesn't get rattled under pressure. Fourth, he has great people instincts. He naturally knows things that philosophers and psychologists have studied for, literally, millenia. Fifth, he thinks fast and has charisma.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So why increase the degree of difficulty even further by having the new coach have to learn how to be a head coach for the first time on top of everything else?
Rather than cherry picking one line from my post, I suggest that you read the entirety of my post where I make an argument which is the exact opposite of yours. Specifically, that only someone that has been at UConn and learned directly from Geno has a chance to replicate his success.

Reaction Score
Better late then never; but, there a a number of young coaches out there who could step into the job. Whilst prior coaching experiencing is always preferable- given the complexity of athletics today, of equal importance is the experience of recruiting at the highest level. People like Sue and Diana are wishful thinking- beyond name recognition there is little there. (They would both need to be accomplished assistant somewhere else.) The "family-tree" has not really been fruitful- for this or that reasons. Shea and Marissa are possibilities as a pair because of proven recruitment and connections forged on the recruitment circuit. Replacing a very successful anybody is always a problem- especially when the knee-jerk mentality is to keep doing the same. There might be some WNBA coaches who would jump ship-- White jumped from Indian(?) to Emory(?) is a case in point. Personally, I like Reeves in Minn. She might entertain a move in 2-years when the current dynasty there comes to an end. I also like the Harvard coach.
Uconn will find the to pay a coach- they all do. We are not talking FB + MBB. The problem will be Uconn Fan Base. They all think FB + MBB should be x10 better. Will we spin our selves into a black hole when the team climb back down to where the others hangout? How many readers here are upset when the team let their opponent comes within 30-points. Pure madness. It is this "madness" and the damage it may do to the Program that worries me-- I can already read it in the words of some in this thread. Hope I am wrong.

Reaction Score
Rather than cherry picking one line from my post, I suggest that you read the entirety of my post where I make an argument which is the exact opposite of yours. Specifically, that only someone that has been at UConn and learned directly from Geno has a chance to replicate his success.
I understood your point, I just don’t necessarily agree with it. I do think you could get the best of both worlds, though, with Rizzotti.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
There might be some WNBA coaches who would jump ship-- White jumped from Indian(?) to Emory(?) is a case in point.

Indiana Fever to Vanderbilt.

Reaction Score
Indiana Fever to Vanderbilt.
Not sure I want to have this conversation. While we are all naturally curious, focusing conversation on "Geno leaving" not beneficial for recruiting. Let Geno address this.

Reaction Score
D has never liked Storrs (separate from UConn). Has said it repeatedly. Wouldn't live there. And she's married to a woman from Australia.
Tangentially related, but Penny Taylor will be an amazing coach.

Reaction Score
I think all of the next coach chatter is interesting. Some for Shea. Some for Cardoza, Rizzotti,. Some for Lobo (me) etc.
Someone hit the nail on the head - we fans will not be happy at all once Uconn becomes merely a good women's basketball team.

Will making it to the tournament and losing in the first two rounds with 6-8 losses be a successful year or a total disaster. Will we fans allow the new coach to implement their own system and try not to duplicate Geno's?

Someone on the UT board did a side by side comparison between Pat and Holly's first years as head coach. Holly's numbers are just as good. Geno's first eight years saw losses as high as 11 games and on average 9 per year.

Will be be comfortable if the team slips to a level comparable to Maryland or Louisville or dare I say the current Lady Vols?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I understood your point, I just don’t necessarily agree with it. I do think you could get the best of both worlds, though, with Rizzotti.
Jen would certainly be a worthy candidate, but she never coached at UConn and hasn’t been affiliated with the program in over 20 years. During that period of time UConn WBB has evolved significantly in terms of recruiting, training, game preparation, etc.

So while Jen may have the HC experience that Shea lacks, Shea has a much more intimate understanding of the current program’s successful operation.

Reaction Score
Let's throw caution to the winds and hire Tyler Summitt. :eek:

There were a lot of folks in Knoxville who thought he would be a great
choice to succeed Pat.

Reaction Score
Let's throw caution to the winds and hire Tyler Summitt. :eek:

There were a lot of folks in Knoxville who thought he would be a great
choice to succeed Pat.
I almost posted: Hire Candace Parker...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online