Future UCONN coach (merged threads) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Future UCONN coach (merged threads)

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
When it comes to decisions regarding the program...Coach always seems to find the most fitting action...and it is typically well planned and executed.

Knowing that how can an outsider to the program even be in the conversation as his successor?

I would think not.

So that narrows the field quite a bit.

Hmmm, who among the candidates who is the toughest, most committed demonstrating the greatest passion, has both played for and coached with him.

Brought with her a reputation for contributing to and helping build a Pitt program, connecting with the players and skilled recruiter. Might also add an appropriate age to take the helm with long career potential in the position.

Was requested to come back to the program be an assistant coach and it was published she was the only candidate he considered...

Had one of the most difficult playing career's overcoming injury with pure passion for the game and was reported as not the easiest to coach, is a natural leader and will never give up on the ideals the program is built on...

Adding up to one heck of a well rounded and proper next HC...

While speculation is fun the clues are there if one is inclined to examine them no mystery for me at least.

Reaction Score
Shea is talented, and she knows UConn so well she IS UConn. But she doesn't know how to be a head coach. That's not something you learn by watching. If she wants this job then she needs to go get the experience.

At the time they became a head coach for the first time, no coach in any era, in any sport ever had head coaching experience. Many assistants have failed and many have succeeded. It depends on the person and their level of competency.

Reaction Score
How did Geno get his job at UConn?

Really? You honestly think the 1985 UConn Huskies, that were perennial cellar dwellers and played in front of less than 1oo people per game in the Field House, is a legitimate comparison to the modern day UConn?

Reaction Score
I'd have no problem with Shea taking over the program and perhaps someone like DT or SB could be brought in as a second assistant along with MM if she is interested in becoming a head coach at some point................it certainly would be exciting from a recruiting angle..............can anybody nominate a relatively young coach anywhere in WBB that would be a strong candidate as the next UConn head coach? I'm still thinking about it.............

Reaction Score
At the time they became a head coach for the first time, no coach in any era, in any sport ever had head coaching experience. Many assistants have failed and many have succeeded. It depends on the person and their level of competency.
Absolutely correct, but most get their first HC job with a lesser program than the perennially top program in the country. Geno certainly did.

I think Jen will make a great Huskies head coach.

Reaction Score
I'd have no problem with Shea taking over the program and perhaps someone like DT or SB could be brought in as a second assistant along with MM if she is interested in becoming a head coach at some point......it certainly would be exciting from a recruiting angle....can anybody nominate a relatively young coach anywhere in WBB that would be a strong candidate as the next UConn head coach? I'm still thinking about it...
Let me just jump in with both feet..Becky Hammon. A disciple of Popovich, who is Geno's professional alter ego.

Reaction Score
Let me just jump in with both feet..Becky Hammon. A disciple of Popovich, who is Geno's professional alter ego.

interesting choice............I think her goal is to become an NBA coach...............do you think she would be interested in the UConn job?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I don't believe Sue or Diana will be coaching. Both have said they don't want to coach.

I have stated this before when another Geno replacement thread was going on. Superstars, those who are exceptionally talented and gifted, do not necessarily make good coaches. Many are incapable of teaching/ coaching. They cannot translate their talent and success to others. They do not understand players who struggle with aspects of the game.

Coaching is a completely different skill set. Some of the best coaches are those who were not stars but those who struggled to achieve. These are the ones who understand a player's struggles. These are the ones who can coach/ teach a player to improve, to fight thru the struggles.

Finally, I'm not sure many coaches want to follow a legend. And Geno is a legend. Its a no win situation. No matter what they do, they are compared to the legend and found wanting.

Reaction Score
We can hope, RD! I'm thinking CD is 57 right now, and could be 65ish when Geno retires. That might work for a couple of years, but, in building for the future, they need someone much younger. And, CD might retire with Geno.
I may be mistaken; didn't Christine Dailey say she had no interest in being Head Coach? The times she "subbed" for Geno when he was ejected she said she wasn't happy about being in that situation. (those ejections go back many years ago)\
There is a high degree of probability that when Geno retires, so shall she. Then if a former Uconn players takes the job Christine may stay on a year or 4 to make the transition move smoothly for the coach and Uconn.

Reaction Score
interesting choice..I think her goal is to become an NBA coach.....do you think she would be interested in the UConn job?
If she can get Geno's pay, why not? Becky is one tough and determined lady. Standing on the outside looking in; she could be the right choice--however it may be different looking from the inside.

Reaction Score
Liking everything you said except that you'd be dead by then....

YUK! Have you not read about the A.I. software that extracts brain data, transfers this to a "cloud" and then injects this data, you, into a robot? No SiFi, it is now being worked towards. (much like cryogenics--) Where there is life ; there is hope.

Reaction Score
The only problem with that is Berube has said several times that she is very happy in her current position and that she has no desire to coach elsewhere.

The other problem is that being a successful DIII coach doesn't necessarily equate to being successful coach at the UConn level.
Your first assumption, she won't leave. How many Div1 coaches have ranted they'd never leave--then leave? Quite a few.
On the second assumption, possibly true, possibly not; it won't happen until it does happen. Sometimes the "gift" is within the individual and not the circumstance they find themselves in. Never say never.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I use to think that Carla Berube was a natural fit, but she has been at Tufts for 16 years. Last Spring she took on the U16 USA squad and was marveling at the kids size and athleticism. I'll bet, because by in large that is not what she coaches at Tuft and not what she coaches against. I have no doubt that Carla has a fine basketball mind,but what AD would gamble on handing the premier wcbb program to a Div. III coach? Perhaps the U16 assignment was prepping her to move on and up to Div I, but time is a wasting. Shea is, of course, the most likely inside contender and outsiders?? You gotta have brass cajones or a kevlar corset to want to step into those loafers.

Reaction Score
YUK! Have you not read about the A.I. software that extracts brain data, transfers this to a "cloud" and then injects this data, you, into a robot? No SiFi, it is now being worked towards. (much like cryogenics--) Where there is life ; there is hope.

I've been told that my brain is already in the clouds

Reaction Score
Kia would be a fantastic coach, but not the next one--too soon. Much as I love Jen, I'm thinking her teammate is the next UConn coach:

View attachment 26796
I hate to say it... but Geno retires after DT retires from the WNBA... DT takes a position at UCONN for a year or two... She becomes the head coach and Suzie comes and takes over for Chris

Reaction Score
I hate to say it... but Geno retires after DT retires from the WNBA... DT takes a position at UCONN for a year or two... She becomes the head coach and Suzie comes and takes over for Chris
D has never liked Storrs (separate from UConn). Has said it repeatedly. Wouldn't live there. And she's married to a woman from Australia.

Reaction Score
I use to think that Carla Berube was a natural fit, but she has been at Tufts for 16 years. Last Spring she took on the U16 USA squad and was marveling at the kids size and athleticism. I'll bet, because by in large that is not what she coaches at Tuft and not what she coaches against. I have no doubt that Carla has a fine basketball mind,but what AD would gamble on handing the premier wcbb program to a Div. III coach? Perhaps the U16 assignment was prepping her to move on and up to Div I, but time is a wasting. Shea is, of course, the most likely inside contender and outsiders?? You gotta have brass cajones or a kevlar corset to want to step into those loafers.

I suspect Tuffs is more like the Uconn when Carla was a player. Why would anyone want an exotic fruit or my mower belt in their loafers???
Not that I'd nominate Ms Berube, apparently of French Canadian heritage (saw the name in archives), could be the individual that KNOWs BB enough to coach at any level--the politics, finances, and ability to recruit could be a hindrance for someone not attuned to that life, Geno and the system grew together otherwise I'd make the case that Geno didn't have that experience initially either. UVA wasn't Uconn when he left. We have seen in recent year top star athlete-WBB players who failed as coaches--DT/Sue/Swin/Maya as a Uconn coach may draw some seats but eventually without winning, they would disappear. Dawn has found a home, JPM would not like Storrs, Muffet--has too much green in her blood, Sherri is OKLa , the really good WBB coaches are already taken--who then?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Kelly Faris's pro career is likely winding down. If she doesn't land a coaching gig at UConn, I hope she lands one somewhere. If she's inclined, she'll be a head coach somewhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom