Future scheduling philosophy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Future scheduling philosophy

Reaction Score
We should have stayed in the Big East in 2013 and gone independent right then and there. The AAC destroyed our program. Playing schools with inferior brands is not a good idea. There is no upside to it. If you lose, you are a laughingstock. If you win, you are supposed to. The idea that we need to fight for a conference title to give the boys motivation is ridiculous. Also, should we go to the MAC, there is a decent chance schools like UNC and Ole Miss will no longer schedule H/H series with us as we are a "MAC" school.

Liberty joined CUSA to improve their Olympic sports conference standing and also get CFP money. Two problems with that: they had to cancel a bunch of P5 H/H series which hurt their schedule, and even if they go 12-0 this year, they won't sniff the CFP or a NY6 bowl due to a garbage SOS.

BYU went independent so that they didn't have the stigma of playing in a mid-major league without Utah. It worked. They crafted great schedules.

If you would like a home slate of CCSU, BC, Toledo, Bowling Green, Buffalo, and NIU, I don't know what to tell you.
And that's if BC would even schedule us anymore as a MAC school.

The AAC didn’t destroy our programs.

UConn destroyed our programs.

The AAC didn’t force us to hire Bob Diaco, Kevin Ollie and Randy Edsall.

It should have been a golden opportunity abd we squandered it.

Houston and SMU were CUSA dregs when the AAC came into being.

Going back to the Big East was the best way for UConn to repair the damage it did to itself.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Don’t you want bowl tie ins? Don’t you want a championship to play for?
I don't care about a MAC championship. Also, we don't need bowl tie-ins as there is an overabundance of bowls.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The AAC didn’t destroy our programs.

UConn destroyed our programs.

The AAC didn’t force us to hire Bob Diaco, Kevin Ollie and Randy Edsall.

It should have been a golden opportunity abd we squandered it.

Houston and SMU were CUSA dregs when the AAC came into being.

Going back to the Big East was the best way for UConn to repair the damage it did to itself.
The AAC destroyed fan interest which in turn destroyed our programs. Nobody wants to see UConn play Tulsa in football.

Reaction Score
The AAC destroyed fan interest which in turn destroyed our programs. Nobody wants to see UConn play Tulsa in football.

But we want to see FIU and Georgia State?

Have you EVEN looked at our home state in coming years?

shizzle787

Reaction Score

No I don't. I have: 2024 and 2025 are bad. Have you looked at 26 or 27 though?
BYU's schedule when they first went independent was questionable but got better over time (and not due to their middling results).
We can schedule 5 P5 games a year. First four games of the year as H/H series and one game at the end as a body bag game.
UMass and FCS are two more.
A couple of AAC/MW programs and you have a schedule.

I hated scheduling FIU, Georgia State, or JMU. They do nothing for the program. The other nine games do make sense though:
4 P5, UMass, FCS, 2 AAC and 1 MW is good for me.

Reaction Score
No I don't. I have: 2024 and 2025 are bad. Have you looked at 26 or 27 though?
BYU's schedule when they first went independent was questionable but got better over time (and not due to their middling results).
We can schedule 5 P5 games a year. First four games of the year as H/H series and one game at the end as a body bag game.
UMass and FCS are two more.
A couple of AAC/MW programs and you have a schedule.

I hated scheduling FIU, Georgia State, or JMU. They do nothing for the program. The other nine games do make sense though:
4 P5, UMass, FCS, 2 AAC and 1 MW is good for me.

They do nothing and we can’t beat them.

If you’re an independent, you are either Notre Dame, a special school like BYU, a service academy or a total Pariah that nobody wants.

We are the Pariah. Like a Liberty, NMSU or UMass. Basically part of the dregs of college football.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
They do nothing and we can’t beat them.

If you’re an independent, you are either Notre Dame, a special school like BYU, a service academy or a total Pariah that nobody wants.

We are the Pariah. Like a Liberty, NMSU or UMass. Basically part of the dregs of college football.
Yep. A pariah that gets half the ACC to come to our place in FOOTBALL. A pariah that gets a top 30 program in Ole Miss to come to our place.

We beat BC last year. So we can beat P5 programs, and we were competitive with NC State this year as well. You are the kind of guy who if running DePaul's athletic department would suggest leaving the Big East and joining the Missouri Valley because "we can't beat them."

I don't want to be wanted by G5 conferences. I want a schedule with 5-6 P5 schools and a smattering of regional G5s with some AAC and MW fillers.

Reaction Score
Yep. A pariah that gets half the ACC to come to our place in FOOTBALL. A pariah that gets a top 30 program in Ole Miss to come to our place.

We beat BC last year. So we can beat P5 programs, and we were competitive with NC State this year as well. You are the kind of guy who if running DePaul's athletic department would suggest leaving the Big East and joining the Missouri Valley because "we can't beat them."

I don't want to be wanted by G5 conferences. I want a schedule with 5-6 P5 schools and a smattering of regional G5s with some AAC and MW fillers.

We’re an easy win numbnuts, and we are close by. Just because they want to play you doesn’t mean they want you in their club.

We’ll see if that Ole Miss series every happens.

You know we actually wanted to stay in the AAC for football. None of your football arguments as they relate to the AAC hold any water.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
We’re an easy win numbnuts, and we are close by. Just because they want to play you doesn’t mean they want you in their club.

You know we actually wanted to stay in the AAC for football. None of your football arguments as they relate to the AAC hold any water.
I wasn't relating any of my arguments to the AAC. I know they didn't want us and they still don't. This is about the MAC. Stop moving the goalposts.

shizzle787

Reaction Score

North Carolina is close by? It is 600 miles a way. The four NC schools don't have to schedule us especially given they already schedule G5 schools from the Carolinas. They chose to schedule us.

Reaction Score
North Carolina is close by? It is 600 miles a way. The four NC schools don't have to schedule us especially given they already schedule G5 schools from the Carolinas. They chose to schedule us.

It’s on the east coast. Smack dab in their alumni footprint.

They choose to schedule us because of location and because we suck.

Reaction Score

And if the G5s don’t want you, why would the P5 want you?

Don’t say basketball. Clearly that doesn’t count for much.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
It’s on the east coast. Smack dab in their alumni footprint.

They choose to schedule us because of location and because we suck.
They scheduled us in the 2000s when we were good. It has nothing to do with sucking and most people move from CT to NC, not the other way around.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
And if the G5s don’t want you, why would the P5 want you?

Don’t say basketball. Clearly that doesn’t count for much.
We were one meeting away from the P5 back in August. Sure, it was more about basketball, but we were almost in.

Reaction Score
We were one meeting away from the P5 back in August. Sure, it was more about basketball, but we were almost in.

No. No we weren’t.

We were just bait and a backup plan. Not even close.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
No. No we weren’t.

We were just bait and a backup plan. Not even close.
If Oregon and Washington get shut down by the Big 10, the Pac-9 stays together, and we are #14 for the Big 12. Being Plan B doesn't mean we weren't on the doorstep.

Reaction Score
They scheduled us in the 2000s when we were good. It has nothing to do with sucking and most people move from CT to NC, not the other way around.

If they scheduled us that long ago then they certainly doesn’t help your case!

When the P5s start scheduling more conference games those games will be fewer and farther in between.

Enjoy your strategy of playing Catholic League Hoop and picking up crumbs.

Reaction Score
If Oregon and Washington get shut down by the Big 10, the Pac-9 stays together, and we are #14 for the Big 12. Being Plan B doesn't mean we weren't on the doorstep.

That was never going to happen.

Reaction Score
OK here’s a future schedule.

University of Phoenix
Strayer University
RISD - They can be very creative
ECPI - Can be very technical
L&S Trucking LLC - Capable of long drives
BCU

Homage to Jimmy Buffet who stated:

If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.

shizzle787

Reaction Score

Nice try ignoring we also have a decent home slate this year as well, and 24 and 25 are not done. Very possibly with schedule a P5 for our last 25 home games.

We played two P5s, USF (old Big East team), and Utah State (decent MW program) at home this year. That is not a bad schedule.

Reaction Score
OK here’s a future schedule.

University of Phoenix
Strayer University
RISD - They can be very creative
ECPI - Can be very technical
L&S Trucking LLC - Capable of long drives
BCU

That looks like one of the conferences that Shizzle likes to create.

Reaction Score
Nice try ignoring we also have a decent home slate this year as well, and 24 and 25 are not done. Very possibly with schedule a P5 for our last 25 home games.

We played two P5s, USF (old Big East team), and Utah State (decent MW program) at home this year. That is not a bad schedule.

Wait. USF is in the AAC. I thought the AAC was bad and the root cause of all of our troubles.

Now you are lauding the fact they are on the schedule.

Which is it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom