Future scheduling philosophy | The Boneyard

Future scheduling philosophy

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
With Army likely joining the ranks of the independents soon, now is a good time to discuss our football scheduling philosophy going forward. AD Dave has tried to schedule 4 P5 games per year. That is a good start but I think we need to get to 5 P4 games per year especially with Army likely following off our schedule.

Here is the scheduling philosophy I propose (starting in 2027):

5 P4 games (4 H/H + 1 body bag game)
UMass
FCS
2x MW
2x AAC
Buffalo

Prospective schedule (using 2027):
1. Temple (H)
2. Ole Miss (H)
3. UNC (H)
4. ODU (H)
5. FIU (A)
6. Alabama (A)
7. UMass (A)
8. BC (A)
9. Syracuse (H)
10. Liberty (A)
11. Holy Cross (H)
12. Buffalo (H) - replacing Army

A couple of other notes: we should try to stay on Army's schedule. That will be tough as 11/12 of their games will already be penciled in every year but we need to fight to be the 12th.

Also, I think it is important that we get a yearly series going indefinitely with Boston College on rivalry weekend in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I think 2026 should be our model. when looking at future years that one is def the most successful in my opinion

Reaction Score
With Army likely joining the ranks of the independents soon, now is a good time to discuss our football scheduling philosophy going forward. AD Dave has tried to schedule 4 P5 games per year. That is a good start but I think we need to get to 5 P4 games per year especially with Army likely following off our schedule.

UMass
FCS
2x MW
2x AAC
Buffalo

1. Temple (H)
2. Ole Miss (H)
3. UNC (H)
4. ODU (H)
5. FIU (A)
6. Alabama (A)
7. UMass (A)
8. BC (A)
9. Syracuse (H)
10. Liberty (A)
11. Holy Cross (H)

A couple of other notes: we should try to stay on Army's schedule. That will be tough as 11/12 of their games will already be penciled in every year but we need to fight to be the 12th.

Also, I think it is important that we get a yearly series going indefinitely with Boston College on rivalry weekend in the ACC.
Try to get North or South Dakota State for the FCS game.

Reaction Score
Our scheduling philosophy is going to be to play the best overall schedule we can while still expecting 4 out of 5 seasons getting us to bowl eligibility. Exactly what mix will be ideal to achieve that is going to depend on how much the program improves over time. And, whether we can get anywhere near what we consider to be the "ideal" schedule is going to be determined mostly by factors beyond our control (how many OOC games the networks want the larger conferences to have, who they want them to be with and whether any room will be left for road games to non-power teams).

Sorry to rain on anyone's corn flakes, but the bottom line is that our "model" is going to be far less important that what we can get.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Our philosophy will be to play who ever is available.

We will play whichever FCS we can get when the space is there.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if and when another home and home is announced. We haven't seen any come about in awhile, likely because of the dance with the Big 12 during the summer. They have time as the next FBS gap is 2025 and there will be a lot of schools dropping games based on recent CR which could be a great opp to get some more good opponents to come to the Rent.

Reaction Score
Indiana and Louisville canceled their surgeries. Looks like Louisville will have some openings as Indiana will likely have to adapt to the new B1G schedule.

Reaction Score
Its interesting. On one hand, its probably going to be harder to schedule P5 teams going forward. I'm also not sure how many P5 games we should seek out (they're obviously good for fan interest) - probably shouldn't ever have more than 4 on the schedule. From 2003-2012, we were 34-46 against current/future P5 teams. Since the end of the Big East, we are 7-40. I think our focus should be on winnable regional games (Buffalo, Temple, UMass, Army, local FCS) with some P5 sprinkled in( a focus on the regional P5s like Syracuse, BC and Rutgers) and then random games to round out the schedule.

Reaction Score
I think we schedule games which are competitive..regardless if they are p4 or g5…it’s no fun for me to watch games we get blown out of

Reaction Score
Lock in games with SDSU, Oregon St. and Wasu - they are there for the taking.

Reaction Score

UMass
FCS
2x MW
2x AAC
Buffalo

1. Temple (H)
2. Ole Miss (H)
3. UNC (H)
4. ODU (H)
5. FIU (A)
6. Alabama (A)
7. UMass (A)
8. BC (A)
9. Syracuse (H)
10. Liberty (A)
11. Holy Cross (H)

I think UConn should mimic Troy's game plan. Both programs entered D1 together. while Troy started independent, UConn's initial trajectory was stronger because of the Big East affiliation. Fast forward 20 years and Troy consistently fields a respectable football team. For a few years they played as many SEC away games as SEC members. But, that approach not only funded multiple facility upgrades, but the occasional upset was good PR.

The Big Ten or ACC could provide the same results for UConn. Except for BC...F the Benedict Eagles.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Yale CCSU Sacred Heart. Coast Guard Trinity & Wesleyan, I've avoid UNH

Reaction Score
I think we are going to have to live with giving the ACC teams 2 home games to one home game for us. Perhaps, we can get BC and SU to make the 3rd game a neutral site game, Gillette and Yankee Stadium

Reaction Score
Hopefully we can get into a conference not named CUSA. Even the MAC would be a huge improvement for the football program especially if UMass can get in too.

We need to compete for the G5 auto-bid and change the mindset that the P5 games are more important than the G5 games when actually the reverse is true. I think the players are buying into the same BS mindset as the fans that the only games worth showing up for are the P5 games and it's a huge problem. Yesterday's game was far more important than the Tennessee or Duke games because it was a realistic chance to win. The team came out with low energy in the first half and it was the biggest contributing factor in the loss.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hopefully we can get into a conference not named CUSA. Even the MAC would be a huge improvement for the football program especially if UMass can get in too.

We need to compete for the G5 auto-bid and change the mindset that the P5 games are more important than the G5 games when actually the reverse is true. I think the players are buying into the same BS mindset as the fans that the only games worth showing up for are the P5 games and it's a huge problem. Yesterday's game was far more important than the Tennessee or Duke games because it was a realistic chance to win.
I suppose that is one possible outcome. Another one is that downgrading our opponents is taken as a tacit admission that we can't compete against the P5 P4. I see it being taken as another indication that quote "UConn isn't serious about football."

Given that we haven't been successful against the G5 this season, and wouldn't the same logic apply in a year or two for us to drop down to FCS and then DII?

Reaction Score
that downgrading our opponents is taken as a tacit admission that we can't compete against the P5 P4.

I think we need to end the delusional idea that we can compete against the P4 as an independent. It's destroying our football program. Fake it until you make it doesn't work in football. Sorry.

We also need to stop with the delusion that these G5 teams are beneath somehow. They clearly are not when it comes to football. These are good teams with talented players, and they are fired up to play UConn and we consistently come out flat against them.

FIU had the UConn game circled on their schedule. UConn has the Duke game circled on their schedule. It's a problem.

Last edited:

shizzle787

Reaction Score

We need to compete for the G5 auto-bid and change the mindset that the P5 games are more important than the G5 games when actually the reverse is true. I think the players are buying into the same BS mindset as the fans that the only games worth showing up for are the P5 games and it's a huge problem. Yesterday's game was far more important than the Tennessee or Duke games because it was a realistic chance to win. The team came out with low energy in the first half and it was the biggest contributing factor in the loss.
For brand recognition, the P5 games are way more important nationally than the G5 games.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I think we need to end the delusional idea that we can compete against the P4 as an independent. It's destroying our football program.
We should have stayed in the Big East in 2013 and gone independent right then and there. The AAC destroyed our program. Playing schools with inferior brands is not a good idea. There is no upside to it. If you lose, you are a laughingstock. If you win, you are supposed to. The idea that we need to fight for a conference title to give the boys motivation is ridiculous. Also, should we go to the MAC, there is a decent chance schools like UNC and Ole Miss will no longer schedule H/H series with us as we are a "MAC" school.

Liberty joined CUSA to improve their Olympic sports conference standing and also get CFP money. Two problems with that: they had to cancel a bunch of P5 H/H series which hurt their schedule, and even if they go 12-0 this year, they won't sniff the CFP or a NY6 bowl due to a garbage SOS.

BYU went independent so that they didn't have the stigma of playing in a mid-major league without Utah. It worked. They crafted great schedules.

If you would like a home slate of CCSU, BC, Toledo, Bowling Green, Buffalo, and NIU, I don't know what to tell you.
And that's if BC would even schedule us anymore as a MAC school.

Reaction Score
For brand recognition, the P5 games are way more important nationally than the G5 games.

Nope, you are completely wrong. Wins and losses talk and bullcrap walks. You know what stinks for the UConn brand, being in ESPN's bottom 10.

Reaction Score
Using that logic - would you rather see UConn BB beat Central 100-50 instead of losing to Gonzaga 74-73 ?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Nope, you are completely wrong. Wins and losses talk and bullcrap walks. You know what stinks for the UConn brand, being in ESPN's bottom 10.
6-6 as an independent is more highly regarded than going 8-4 in the MAC.

Reaction Score
Using that logic - would you rather see UConn BB beat Central 100-50 instead of losing to Gonzaga 74-73 ?

Funny that you bring up Gonzaga, they built themselves into a national power by dominating a crappy basketball conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom