Future of the XL Center as a Home Site | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Future of the XL Center as a Home Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For games at the XL Center and Rentschler Field, UConn doesn’t get money from suites or food or beer or parking AND pays rent, but people wonder why they have a deficit.

How would you propose they make more money? Magic??? That’s the venues for 70% of UConn football/MBB/WBB/men’s hockey where they make nothing while paying for the privilege! The math doesn’t work because IT CANT!
That's a different issue. I'm not defending paying to play or giving up money rights to play in Hartford. I'm saying that playing a handful of basketball games in the city is not an inherently bad thing. And I'm tired of being pigeon-holed as a lousy (choice word edited out) fan because my schedule makes it easier to go to Hartford than Storrs (which we also do for soccer and basketball a few times a year).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For games at the XL Center and Rentschler Field, UConn doesn’t get money from suites or food or beer or parking AND pays rent, but people wonder why they have a deficit.

How would you propose they make more money? Magic??? That’s the venues for 70% of UConn football/MBB/WBB/men’s hockey where they make nothing while paying for the privilege! The math doesn’t work because IT CANT!

If she can accomplish getting the "accounting" rules or intra state transfer of funds more amicable to UConn, that would be a win.

Right now every number for revenue is meant to minimize a benefit to UConn and every expense it made to make it look worst for UConn.

Reaction Score
Good for Maric. I don't care about the way her message is received. She is European and English is like her 2nd or 4th language. She shoots from the hip.

Reaction Score
If you were at both games then you would be able to see the difference in the games themselves? Seems like you're just desperate to make a point that XL center crowds suck
Nope…you can make the argument that last night was the most important game of the year for us. The crowd last night wasn’t half as good as the Nova game, so I’m not just blaming the XL. I think it has more to do with the type of fan that shows up at a weeknight game in Hartford.

Reaction Score
Solution: Build a 15,000 seat on campus facility. Call it Gampel XL or whatever you want. Something that seats 4-5,000 more than Gampel would be the perfect size. I will contend that the same fans that can’t be bothered to drive 25 minutes more to Storrs are the same fans who won’t stand up and cheer. Last night’s crowd was mediocre at best, it was not even close to the atmosphere of the Xavier game at Gampel. I was at both and they were night and day. If you can’t be bothered to drive to Storrs after working late at your white collared insurance job in Hartford, just go watch at a bar in Hartford instead.
Will admit I was not at the game last night but the roar from the crowd on TV sounded fantastic... was that not the case in person? The roars were giving me goosebumps this morning watching the highlights... Will caveat that by saying the first half sounded fantastic and the second half not as good but thats obviously due to the situation of what was occuring in the game. Blowing out a team at home while fantastic, doesnt allude to the most raucous of crowds.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And why is a state that can’t balance a budget involved at all in owning/managing sports facilities? We can argue about value of venues, but we can also ask why the state is involved at all.

Reaction Score
My parents live in Eastford, 15 minutes from campus. They and 2000 others. How do you think those Storrs crowds are filling Gampel? Because it isn't Eastford, Coventry, or Tolland alone. You may not like it, but most of the state's population is west and south of Storrs, and it makes sense to have a handful of games be more accessible.
"Handful of games"...its half the home schedule, let's not act like its like 3 a season. No one assumes its just the surrounding towns that go, most people just suck it up and drive the extra half hour. We're the third smallest state in the country, we really complaining about literally any commute? These fans you talking about that NEED these games to be "accessible" the same ones that abandoned the team from 2017-2020 and made XL look like a ghost town. Same people that complain about having to drive an extra 30 minutes, are the one's that complain about the students not going to XL games. Selfish attitude. Being a student, there was no better feeling than leaving your dorm and being 2 min away from entering the arena, the buzz on campus all day, the postgame at Teds immediately after....XL games rob the students from what college basketball is really all about.

Reaction Score
That's a different issue. I'm not defending paying to play or giving up money rights to play in Hartford. I'm saying that playing a handful of basketball games in the city is not an inherently bad thing. And I'm tired of being pigeon-holed as a lousy (choice word edited out) fan because my schedule makes it easier to go to Hartford than Storrs (which we also do for soccer and basketball a few times a year).

Let’s stop calling it a handful though, it’s half. If they switched it to truly a handful in Hartford, say all the games when students are on break and one premiere opponent per year that would make a lot more sense

Reaction Score
Nope…you can make the argument that last night was the most important game of the year for us. The crowd last night wasn’t half as good as the Nova game, so I’m not just blaming the XL. I think it has more to do with the type of fan that shows up at a weeknight game in Hartford.
Crowd was good last night imo but tough to stay crazy for a 20 pt game.

But again my section (224) is a student section now and there were TONS of open seats in mine and the neighboring sections.

The school needs to figure out how to get more kids to XL

Reaction Score
Crowd was good last night imo but tough to stay crazy for a 20 pt game.

But again my section (224) is a student section now and there were TONS of open seats in mine and the neighboring sections.

The school needs to figure out how to get more kids to XL
They don’t want to go. Only if it’s a huge game.

Reaction Score
Let’s stop calling it a handful though, it’s half. If they switched it to truly a handful in Hartford, say all the games when students are on break and one premiere opponent per year that would make a lot more sense
Honestly, you're right. And I'd be okay with that. That would be a good compromise.

Reaction Score
For those on here calling for less games (or no games) at XL, do not lose sight of the bigger picture - playing games at XL is one of the prices the atlhletic department must pay to retain the support of state government and the economic stakeholders in Hartford. At a minimum it is leverage to be used by the University when dealing with budget and resource allocations. As a fan of UConn athletics I would not want to see the University give up that leverage.

Reaction Score
Solution: Build a 15,000 seat on campus facility. Call it Gampel XL or whatever you want. Something that seats 4-5,000 more than Gampel would be the perfect size. I will contend that the same fans that can’t be bothered to drive 25 minutes more to Storrs are the same fans who won’t stand up and cheer. Last night’s crowd was mediocre at best, it was not even close to the atmosphere of the Xavier game at Gampel. I was at both and they were night and day. If you can’t be bothered to drive to Storrs after working late at your white collared insurance job in Hartford, just go watch at a bar in Hartford instead.
And if I’m driving 85 miles from Stamford and the Merritt northbound is a parking lot right up to the Milford Connector? I love Gampel as much as the next fan, but some of us are gnashing our teeth after a 2.5 hour hellride to Hartford.

Reaction Score
I've always assumed that there was an unstated understanding involved in all of this between the University and the State. UConn is allowed to run athletics at a significant deficit without alot of complaints or scrutinty from the politicians. In exchange, UConn basketball is expected to be an economic contributor to the downtown Hartford stakeholders (mainly restaurants, bars and parking magnates). I don't see this dynamic really changing that much.
Half the legislator are UConn grads, all are fans of one of the hoops teams. Lamont won't get it cut.

Surprised Maric came out to students and forecasted a tit for tat with state legislators.

Reaction Score
Good for Maric. I don't care about the way her message is received. She is European and English is like her 2nd or 4th language. She shoots from the hip.

She's also an engineer. We're not exactly known for our tact and emotional intelligence.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn just fired a President a little while ago who was barely even in the job, and it too was over budget cuts
Actually, it was about presidential overreach. you don’t have a very long half life as a president if you decide to give away your core product at no cost without consulting the board first. That was a pretty gaping self-inflicted wound.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For those on here calling for less games (or no games) at XL, do not lose sight of the bigger picture - playing games at XL is one of the prices the atlhletic department must pay to retain the support of state government and the economic stakeholders in Hartford. At a minimum it is leverage to be used by the University when dealing with budget and resource allocations. As a fan of UConn athletics I would not want to see the University give up that leverage.
Yeah, respectfully, I’m not buying it. Any legislator who torpedoed support for the states flagship university because his panties were in a bunch over the location basketball games are played would be lucky to last out the end of his term.

Reaction Score
The AD is in the midst of implementing a $1400 per seat donation for the lower bowl in XL and GP. If they only had games at GP, will anyone be willing to pay $2800 per seat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom