Future of the XL Center as a Home Site | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Future of the XL Center as a Home Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Okay, I have cracked it.

This is a 48,000 seat dome on campus with sufficient parking.

You might have some questions like, what happened to South Campus? Did you pave it over for parking? And where did the library go?

Those are stupid questions. I know what I’m doing.

E9-BE85-FB-32-D9-4-AED-A250-7-C7-AA89-D3-CAB.jpg

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
St John's Carnesecca Arena holds 5602 for seating. It looks like a high school gym and I could never figure out how the Big East allowed them to build such a small arena. Here is a picture:

I don't know how many games are at the garden vs on campus.
Seton Hall?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Okay, I have cracked it.

You might have some questions like, what happened to South Campus? Did you pave it over for parking? And where did the library go?

It could have two levels of suites, each built with murphy beds and desks that double as dorm rooms, sleeping four each. You give the students gift certificates for Ted's each game to get them out and fans take over the space.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
A seat donation is part of the season ticket package what are you talking about it has nothing to do with ad hoc donations. As noted the lower bowl around mid court go for $800 a season. The donation goes down as the seats get worse obviously, but it's non zero. That's a big part of this picture that is ignored.

You're now switching the argument and moving goalposts. Nobody is arguing that they take home is less at the civic center than Gampel. My position is that the school isn't public with the full picture and that being in Hartford has other benefits that serve to benefit UConn.
I don’t disagree with a lot of this, but you are in Florida and not flying up for home games.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall?
I promise you, you do not want to model anything you are doing based on Seton Hall from an operations and facilities standpoint.

They have a high school gym on campus that has a stage at one of that gym used for all WBB games that is severely dated with minimal amenities.

Then MBB plays in what I experienced earlier this season as one of the more stale sports environments I've experienced in person at Prudential that they only use the lower bowl (curtain off entire upper deck) and the students are similarly situated as they are at the XL Center minus an upper deck.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It could have two levels of suites, each built with murphy beds and desks that double as dorm rooms, sleeping four each. You give the students gift certificates for Ted's each game to get them out and fans take over the space.

We have 48,000 seats. We can swap them for cots.

The ConnDome is versatile.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UConn has been playing in Hartford for near 50 years. Pre-Calhoun and pre-national exposure. Now that UConn is a draw and a driver, fat chance they stop playing there. The agreement will probably be reworked, the schedule should be reworked, people will continue to _itch, and life will go on.

Reaction Score
I'm not the one in denial lol. It's clean and has great sightlines. It's limited but not a dump. And I would bet some decent money they renovate it in the next few years which will only improve it.

Right. It’s a great place to watch college basketball and a great environment. Not a bad seat in the house. It’s not state of the art, the vast majority of college only on campus facilities aren’t. Definitely not a dump.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If moving to Storrs means losing you because you can’t drive to Storrs, see ya.
I'm surprised how tone deaf this comment is. The exodus has already happened.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don’t disagree with a lot of this, but you are in Florida and not flying up for home games.

I'm in Jersey - but why is that relevant? I personally don't care where they play the games, I actually like both venues and have had season tickets to both.

My point from the beginning is that I think there are benefits of playing in Hartford that aren't worth torpedoing due to what amounts to a rounding error in the grand scheme of things.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Seton Hall?

Those buildings were Grandfather claused in. Gampel had different minimum seating requirements from the BE when it was being planned and built. At the time, we went with the very minimum allowed. Who knew we'd have 15 combined NCAA hoops National Championships 30 years or so later? Sucks.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm in Jersey - but why is that relevant? I personally don't care where they play the games, I actually like both venues and have had season tickets to both.

My point from the beginning is that I think there are benefits of playing in Hartford that aren't worth torpedoing due to what amounts to a rounding error in the grand scheme of things.
What are the benefits for the school?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Okay, I have cracked it.

And people say there's no leaders anymore. This is g-d vision.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Okay, I have cracked it.

Wait, a new arena and they’re going to put the concourse around Gampel?

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They have a high school gym on campus that has a stage at one of that gym used for all WBB games that is severely dated with minimal amenities
I was just there. They just finished a renovation. It actually looks pretty nice, I mean it’s still, literally, has a stage on one end and offices on the other side, but pretty nice.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What are the benefits for the school?

Certainly seems like plenty of our fans prefer the split: XL Gampel or both and then I think there are benefits to curry favor with the state.

And again, I don't care where they ultimately play I just thought the public comments were dumb and amount to relative peanuts.

Reaction Score
“Super suburban” is also a mindset. All encompassing for the anti-city crowd.
Connecticut has always blown it on their cities. I don't know if that's what has led to the attitude of many of the state residents or if the people who reside there just want nothing to do with small cities which are poorly planned. The things that hold Hartford back today are the same things that have always held the city back. It's footprint is laughably small. West Hartford, East Hartford, Windsor, Newington etc. should be a part of Hartford...that's the way it is in the rest of the country. You don't run a highway through the middle of your city cutting it off from it's biggest asset (the water) and you don't cut off an entire section of your city from it's downtown.

I love cities, the state of Connecticut doesn't like cities. I always wished Hartford was a vibrant young city with a state of the art downtown arena but the state has decided against these things... Even though it's a state school it shouldn't be UConn's duty to bring life to Hartford and they shouldn't be forced to play in a decrepit arena that's 20 years past it's shelf life where the school takes in none of the money. If they want to build a new downtown arena, great or somehow find a way to totally revamp the existing structure, great. Neither of those options seem feasible these days.

Reaction Score
You’re in denial, pampered by memories of old. It’s okay, I am too, I love Gampel. But Gampel is much closer to XL than it is to newer, state of the art arenas that others are building. 1990 is a long, long time ago in design and engineering. A classic place for sure, but a dump.

When the day comes to replace it, I have zero faith in the University to get it right either. It’ll end up a catastrophe like the rinky dink Ice Barn that we overpaid for. You could find more legit Pee Wee hockey arenas in Canada.
Yep and Cameron Indoor, Allen Fieldhouse, Mackey, Hinkle Fieldhouse are all dumps.

Gampel is a great place to watch a college basketball game and there's a ton of history packed under those Italian tiles.

Reaction Score
Horse is partially out of the barn on this one. Even Massachusetts got it right with the Mullin Center. We should have built a new on campus facility that was the home to hockey and basketball and seats 12K. Multi purpose, modern, could have taken the money dumped into the Toscano Center and merged it with the new place. Additionally, it would have gotten UConn much more money in naming rights as well.
I agree Toscano should be a bit bigger, probably 4,200 capacity but not many people go to college hockey games. A 12,000 seat arena for basketball and hockey would feel empty for hockey games. The large college hockey arenas are lucky if they're half full. UMass should never be looked at as a template because they never get anything right. They average less than 4,000 basketball fans at Mullins and around the same amount for hockey.

If we built a state of the art 12,000 joint basketball/hockey facility on campus the same people who complain about everything would be whining about wasting all that money on a new arena that's barely bigger than Gampel which has none of the history and they would be whining about it being empty for hockey games.

Reaction Score
Connecticut has always blown it on their cities. I don't know if that's what has led to the attitude of many of the state residents or if the people who reside there just want nothing to do with small cities which are poorly planned. The things that hold Hartford back today are the same things that have always held the city back. It's footprint is laughably small. West Hartford, East Hartford, Windsor, Newington etc. should be a part of Hartford...that's the way it is in the rest of the country. You don't run a highway through the middle of your city cutting it off from it's biggest asset (the water) and you don't cut off an entire section of your city from it's downtown.

I love cities, the state of Connecticut doesn't like cities. I always wished Hartford was a vibrant young city with a state of the art downtown arena but the state has decided against these things... Even though it's a state school it shouldn't be UConn's duty to bring life to Hartford and they shouldn't be forced to play in a decrepit arena that's 20 years past it's shelf life where the school takes in none of the money. If they want to build a new downtown arena, great or somehow find a way to totally revamp the existing structure, great. Neither of those options seem feasible these days.
I agree. The real issue is that the XL needs to be replaced with a new, modern, major league arena. Not renovated, replaced. So what if we will never attract an NHL team…the state needs a modern large arena. With modern amenities and suites etc. Concerts would return and UConn would not complain about playing there as revue would likely be significantly higher. The state needs to find $500m to $1b somehow to get this done.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score

This is because of the very New England idea of local municipality identity. Everything is on the individual town level and there’s very little governance between municipalities. Elsewhere in the country government typically consists of both local and county government. Not so much so in New England.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
Ok now that we solved this problem and we all clearly agree on this, it's on to Omaha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom