OT: - Fun Day Trip in CT | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Fun Day Trip in CT

Reaction Score
Did all you cool tough guy jackals miss the part of the OP about his wife's long recovery from recent surgery and the need for it to be low key and not strenuous? Sheesh. Maybe you can get some thrills by following them and pushing her down a hill.

What would you suggest if she was 100 percent healthy?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
God no.

I hate that fricking Steam Train. I was out running errands on Saturday and they have that stupid thing set up as "Thomas the Tank Engine" and families pay like 479 dollars a head each to ride that thing for an hour through 10 miles of mostly boring CT woods.
And I have to sit at stop lights for 15 minutes wile the stupid train chugs along.

Those people have a license to steal. And shame on the parents who custy up for that stuff.
If I had known we were blocking you Saturday morning I'd have flipped you off like JSM to a DOT worker. :)

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If by wholesome you mean pillage and plunder and exploit the American working class, then yeah I dont like wholesome America.

I work (and this is no exaggeration) a 75 second WALK. from the the steam train. They should call it "the great train robbery experience" and put their conductors in bandit masks before selling you the tickets.
I'm surprised the court order would allow you to be within 1,500 feet of that event.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Slow stroll around Stonington Village with lunch on the water is another easy trip.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
God no.

I hate that fricking Steam Train. I was out running errands on Saturday and they have that stupid thing set up as "Thomas the Tank Engine" and families pay like 479 dollars a head each to ride that thing for an hour through 10 miles of mostly boring CT woods.
And I have to sit at stop lights for 15 minutes wile the stupid train chugs along.

Those people have a license to steal. And shame on the parents who custy up for that stuff.
By the way - I don't disagree about what a scam it is. It's not even CLOSE to an hour ride. It's about 15 minutes out and back- definitely less than a half hour. So they have to fluff it up with some rides, petting zoo, picture ops with Thomas characters, and merch.

And my kid loved every second of it.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Did all you cool tough guy jackals miss the part of the OP about his wife's long recovery from recent surgery and the need for it to be low key and not strenuous? Sheesh. Maybe you can get some thrills by following them and pushing her down a hill.
I guess they missed the part about it being his girlfriend too. His wife is fine though.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
My girlfriend and I are both in our early 50's. A month ago she had emergency surgery for a perforated intestine. It is a long, slow recovery but thus far she is progressing nicely.

She is finally at the point where a fun day out is possible, as long as it's not strenuous. I am thinking lunch and something that would take 2 to 3 hours to do would be good. We live in Glastonbury and Burlington, so nearly anything in CT is within an hour or so from one of our houses.

All thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
My thoughts go out to her. My mom died from the same thing. The difference is my mom lost her mind years prior and probably didn't even know it happened. I am also a case for the same if I don't take care of myself. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've been trying to schedule a trip to Philip Johnson's Glass House in New Canaan this summer. Looks very cool, and they have a few different types of tours of varying duration between 1 and 3 hours, which is right in your sweet spot. There are obviously a ton of great food choices down in that area for lunch.
This is great and unique. Do it!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is great and unique. Do it!
I think you may be the one who mentioned it here within the past couple years, and that's when it caught my eye.

Reaction Score
Isn't Holy Land open again in Waterbury? Has anyone been, looks like a good time
It's in ruins. Why am I not surprised you'd find it to be a great time there?!

Reaction Score
I haven't been recently, thought they renovated it recently

It's in ruins. Why am I not surprised you'd find it to be a great time there?!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
By the way - I don't disagree about what a scam it is. It's not even CLOSE to an hour ride. It's about 15 minutes out and back- definitely less than a half hour. So they have to fluff it up with some rides, petting zoo, picture ops with Thomas characters, and merch.

And my kid loved every second of it.

Did you pay an extra 49.95 for your kid to shake Sir Topham Hats hand? What a beat down.

Reaction Score
If its a sunny day, Drive Rte 1 and stop wherever and when you want. Turn towards the Ocean and drive the along the shore. I can kill half a day this way and always find something to do.

That's if you like to drive.

Reaction Score
Southeast CT is the true gem of CT, on the shoreline is so beautiful. Just drive around and find a beach and walk if it is a sunny day. Saybrook, Old Lyme (just avoid a small portion called soundview between June and August), Clinton are all solid choices for this. After, you can go inland and drive around and fairly easily find some hikes (Gilletes castle). The ferry from Chester to Hadlyme is super cute with great scenery. Downtown of Deep River is super small but very lovely, honestly. Others have mentioned Mystic which is also great. Uncas Pond during the summer is gorgeous, a great place to take a swim but shhh keep the secret. I think Fishers Island is techincally NY but to me it has that CT feel and is usually somewhat unseasonably warm even into fall. Great place to go to for the day. Lots of great memories of CT! :)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom