OT: - Fun Day Trip in CT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Fun Day Trip in CT

Reaction Score
How about the Harriet Beecher Stowe house...or the Old State House. Or I guess, any of the boring spots everyone has suggested so far.
Do you actually live in Connecticut? If you do, that's hilarious.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Lunch on the Essex train is a good way to get out and see the landscape without being strenuous.

God no.

I hate that fricking Steam Train. I was out running errands on Saturday and they have that stupid thing set up as "Thomas the Tank Engine" and families pay like 479 dollars a head each to ride that thing for an hour through 10 miles of mostly boring CT woods.
And I have to sit at stop lights for 15 minutes wile the stupid train chugs along.

Those people have a license to steal. And shame on the parents who custy up for that stuff.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
God no.

I hate that fricking Steam Train. I was out running errands on Saturday and they have that stupid thing set up as "Thomas the Tank Engine" and families pay like 479 dollars a head each to ride that thing for an hour through 10 miles of mostly boring CT woods.
And I have to sit at stop lights for 15 minutes wile the stupid train chugs along.

Those people have a license to steal. And shame on the parents who custy up for that stuff.
My god man, isn't there any wholesome American thing that you like comrade?

CL82

Reaction Score
Didn't the stupid Thomas the Tank Engine originate in England?
Lol, I left that low hanging fruit for Auggy.

Fisher Price has the toy rights. The books are just the loss leader for the TTE empire.

Edit: and can a mod please change Auggy's avatar to this:

th

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lol, I left that low hanging fruit for Auggy.

Fisher Price has the toy rights. The books are just the loss leader for the TTE empire.
Well he's right about the train being ridiculous and a PITA if you live in the area. I've been caught like he was before. Makes you do strange things when you are stuck for that long waiting for a train to pass slowly. Things like dream about ramming the train with your car.

August_West

Reaction Score
My god man, isn't there any wholesome American thing that you like comrade?

If by wholesome you mean pillage and plunder and exploit the American working class, then yeah I dont like wholesome America.

I work (and this is no exaggeration) a 75 second WALK. from the the steam train. They should call it "the great train robbery experience" and put their conductors in bandit masks before selling you the tickets.

August_West

Reaction Score
Well he's right about the train being ridiculous and a PITA if you live in the area. I've been caught like he was before. Makes you do strange things when you are stuck for that long waiting for a train to pass slowly. Things like dream about ramming the train with your car.

Especially when you see that stupid cardboard looking Thomas "skin" they overlay on the engine that allows them to mark up their tickets 7000%

Last edited:

August_West

Reaction Score
Oh and gee whiz. From thanksgiving to New years, "lets hang some walmart tinsel in the window" and call it the "Polar Express" and chug along through the brown barren leafy dirt of Centerbrook and Deep River (because there is never any snow on the ground that time of year) and charge 9000 dollars for a family of 4.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Oh and gee whiz. From thanksgiving to New years, "lets hang some walmart tinsel in the window" and call it the "Polar Express" and chug along through the brown barren leafy dirt of Centerbrook and Deep River (because there is never any snow on the ground that time of year) and charge 9000 dollars for a family of 4.

But I thought they had Tom Hanks come out and cosplay?

August_West

Reaction Score
But I thought they had Tom Hanks come out and cosplay?

The female singer in my band, has a gig as a "singing penguin" on the train during the Polar Express season. So yeah you are not far off. Its just not Tom Hanks.

August_West

Reaction Score
Oh look.

Special fathers Day deal on the steam train. Only 55 bucks a person and the perks!

Chew Chew the Yard Goats mascot!!! @Deepster !

A Babe Ruth look alike!!

A pancake!!!

A Polaroid!!!

This Father’s Day, Sunday, June 18th, treat your dad to a day of unique and fun family time!

• Enjoy a pancake breakfast from 9:30am until 2:00pm where Dads eat free with family purchase ($15pp).
  • Then say, “Cheese” to our photographer, Richard Roberts of Marsal Studios, who will be on-site to take that much-desired family photo you have been trying to coordinate. Just pose in front of one of our antique locomotives, wait 30 seconds, and voila! You’ll have a FREE, 5×7 image of your loved ones in hand instantaneously.
  • Say, “Hello” to Chew Chew, one of the Hartford Yard Goats’ mascots who will be visiting Essex Station on from 10:30am to 12:30pm.
  • Finally, Father’s Day corresponds with our Passenger from the Past Weekend with Babe Ruth, so Dads get to enjoy family time and tales from the Babe’s glory days of baseball!

Reaction Score
Oh look.

Special fathers Day deal on the steam train. Only 55 bucks a person and the perks!

A Babe Ruth look alike!!

A pancake!!!

A Polaroid!!!

This Father’s Day, Sunday, June 18th, treat your dad to a day of unique and fun family time!

• Enjoy a pancake breakfast from 9:30am until 2:00pm where Dads eat free with family purchase ($15pp).
  • Then say, “Cheese” to our photographer, Richard Roberts of Marsal Studios, who will be on-site to take that much-desired family photo you have been trying to coordinate. Just pose in front of one of our antique locomotives, wait 30 seconds, and voila! You’ll have a FREE, 5×7 image of your loved ones in hand instantaneously.
  • Say, “Hello” to Chew Chew, one of the Hartford Yard Goats’ mascots who will be visiting Essex Station on from 10:30am to 12:30pm.
  • Finally, Father’s Day corresponds with our Passenger from the Past Weekend with Babe Ruth, so Dads get to enjoy family time and tales from the Babe’s glory days of baseball!
Pancakes usually suck but I do love trains. Forget about all that, $55 seems like an amazing deal to meet Babe Ruth.

August_West

Reaction Score

Here is where I lost my mind last Saturday.

You know on Route 154 heading North Toward Deep River where there is an on ramp for Route 9 getting on NB on Exit 4? So there is a stoplight there where the on ramp is a left turn or you can continue going straight on 154 into Deep River. Well The Steam Train does not cross the Road there. The Tracks run PARALLEL to 154 North on the Right Hand side at least 10 yards from the Curb. (oh and by the way, the train passengers who shelled out a million each are afforded a beautiful view of a landfill at that precise moment. LOLOLOL)

So why in the living Hell do you need a train signal to STOP you when the tracks run parallel to traffic, not against it !!????!!!!!

Did I mention I hate that Train more than @Deepster hates Hartford?

Reaction Score
Do you actually live in Connecticut? If you do, that's hilarious.

Yes, I do.
I had family ties that have kept me here.
I wont be here much longer.

And I'll be driving by the Harriet Beecher Stowe snoozatorium in about 25 minutes if you want to stand on the lawn and wave.

CL82

Reaction Score
Oh look.

A Babe Ruth look alike!!

A pancake!!!

A Polaroid!!!

... and so a new August West obsession is born.

Full disclosure, I've done this with my kids, wife and various tag along family members. It's fine.

I did one in NJ one time, where they had bandits chase the train on horses and stop and rob it. The guys went up and down the train in dressed in cowboy gear and masks with a sack that you were supposed to put (fake) money into. When they came to our row and demands money my kid draws gun (also fake, fortunately) and fires into the guys stomach. The guy didn't know to what to do eventually, mortally wounded, he just moved on. :)

Reaction Score
The Polar Express one in the winter when they double the price is brutal

I think we took our kids on that way back, what a beat down

God no.

August_West

Reaction Score
The Polar Express one in the winter when they double the price is brutal

I think we took our kids on that way back, what a beat down

It was like making a Union Balloon payment.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Did all you cool tough guy jackals miss the part of the OP about his wife's long recovery from recent surgery and the need for it to be low key and not strenuous? Sheesh. Maybe you can get some thrills by following them and pushing her down a hill.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom