Full Schedule Released | The Boneyard

Full Schedule Released

Reaction Score
November

Friday, 8 – Sacred Heart

Wednesday, 13 – St. Joseph's (Charleston Classic, unbracketed game)

Sunday, 17 – Florida

Thursday, 21 – vs. Buffalo (at Charleston Classic)

Friday, 22 – vs. Xavier/Towson (at Charleston Classic)

Sunday, 24 – vs. TBD (at Charleston Classic)

Saturday, 30 – Maine

December

Wednesday, Dec. 4 -- Iona

Tuesday, 10 – vs. Indiana (at Jimmy V Classic, MSG)

Wednesday, 18 – St. Peter's

Sunday, 22 – New Hampshire

Sunday, 29 – NJIT

January

18 – at Villanova

Reaction Score
First true road game won’t happen until conference play. Hurley wasn’t a fan of that last year, surprised to see it again with a younger group.

All in all though a solid OOC.

Reaction Score
Thoughts:

-Pretty solid strength of schedule, early season tournaments should be a lot of fun.
-If you're a venue specific season ticket holder and you don't have Florida on your slate, you just got ripped off so bad it's hard to know where to begin. Good grief. St. Peter's?

Reaction Score
Ah, looks like Hurley Sr. went to St. Peter's. Looks like we know who's getting a buy in game instead of a gift to the annual fund.

Reaction Score
I have XL only but that game needs to be a gampel. Students are future season ticket holders. Give them the top 10 opponent on campus.

Given the makeup of this schedule, anyone who would put that game in Gampel should be fired.

Not a single worthwhile game outside of that out of conference that'll draw 8,000 fans. In a year they're paying a tank ton to get out of the American, having to settle up with Ollie, etc. They've gotta at least pretend like they care about driving a little revenue.

Reaction Score
Given the makeup of this schedule, anyone who would put that game in Gampel should be fired.

Not a single worthwhile game outside of that out of conference that'll draw 8,000 fans. In a year they're paying a tank ton to get out of the American, having to settle up with Ollie, etc. They've gotta at least pretend like they care about driving a little revenue.
Well I and 3 others will be at every XL game. Others will do their part as well with the Big East news and when we’re winning these games. Florida should be at Gampel.

Reaction Score

There hasn’t been a decent OOC game at Gampel in half a decade.

Reaction Score
Well I and 3 others will be at every XL game. Others will do their part as well with the Big East news and when we’re winning these games. Florida should be at Gampel.

That's great you're a good fan, but reality is, people aren't exactly packing 'em in for UNH and St. Peter's.

If there's interest in maximizing revenue, the decision's a super easy one. 15,000 > 10,100. More central, more seats, everything.

Would love to see some actual good non conference games in Gampel again. But they're not on this schedule. The home schedule's actually pretty awful, and I kind of feel bad for people who shelled out for season tickets this year, especially if you're venue-specific.

But they've got a lot of money to pay out this year for misc. other things and not a single draw game on the OOC schedule. Other than a kick back to the students, which'd be nice; there's literally zero sane reason to hold it at Gampel.

Reaction Score
@Towney007 you are not wrong. From purely a money decision, this game should be at XL. More fans. More money. I get it. And again I am an XL only guy. I will go to some Gampel games, but I live close to the NY border almost 2 hours away.

But from a competitive standpoint it makes little sense unless they are playing one or two games at XL before Florida. I know this sounds crazy but to have guys like Bouknight/Akok/Gaffney play against a potential top 15 team in an arena they have never practiced in, let alone played in, is not ideal.

Play the game at Gampel. They most likely are gonna play their secret scrimmage/public exhibition/Sacred Heart/St. Joe's game at Gampel. Let the students have the game they haven't had since Texas in 2015.

I get it. Lost revenue. That is made up when you win this game and have a chance to be in March. As an XL guy I am ok with it. Just give me Cincinnati and Houston (maybe even Witchia) at XL. I want Memphis @ Gampel. I'll make the drive :)

Reaction Score
That's great you're a good fan, but reality is, people aren't exactly packing 'em in for UNH and St. Peter's.

If there's interest in maximizing revenue, the decision's a super easy one. 15,000 > 10,100. More central, more seats, everything.

Would love to see some actual good non conference games in Gampel again. But they're not on this schedule. The home schedule's actually pretty awful, and I kind of feel bad for people who shelled out for season tickets this year, especially if you're venue-specific.

But they've got a lot of money to pay out this year for misc. other things and not a single draw game on the OOC schedule. Other than a kick back to the students, which'd be nice; there's literally zero sane reason to hold it at Gampel.
I understand. For nostalgic reasons I want it at gampel. I was a freshman at UConn in 2013-14 and didn’t particularly enjoy my time in the first semester; I even contemplated transferring. But when I came back from thanksgiving break and watched Shabazz hit that game winner vs Florida there was zero shot in hell I was transferring. That was a wild, wild atmosphere.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
So is St. Peter's the final OOC game we scheduled? If I recall correctly, we had one more we could do...

Reaction Score
April 2019 Rankings of the 2020 OOC Schedule
OPPONENTNETKENPOM
Buffalo1822
Villanova2830
Florida3026
Indiana5652
Xavier6465
UConn9198
St. Joseph's171189
NJIT179183
Iona207198
Sacred Heart241240
Towson261291
St. Peter's318316
Maine335338
New Hampshire345345

Reaction Score
Word is Hurley had a road game against a Big East team lined up in December with a return game next year. Obviously that got scratched, and they had to scramble to finish up the schedule. Hence the no road game before league play. It's not great, but they also have their opportunities with Florida, Indiana, and hopefully a 2 game combination of Xavier/Miami/Florida in Charleston.

In league they also have their chances playing Memphis, Houston, Cincinnati, Temple and South Florida twice.

Not the Big East, but they will have their chances...

Reaction Score
@Towney007 you are not wrong. From purely a money decision, this game should be at XL. More fans. More money. I get it. And again I am an XL only guy. I will go to some Gampel games, but I live close to the NY border almost 2 hours away.

But from a competitive standpoint it makes little sense unless they are playing one or two games at XL before Florida. I know this sounds crazy but to have guys like Bouknight/Akok/Gaffney play against a potential top 15 team in an arena they have never practiced in, let alone played in, is not ideal.

Play the game at Gampel. They most likely are gonna play their secret scrimmage/public exhibition/Sacred Heart/St. Joe's game at Gampel. Let the students have the game they haven't had since Texas in 2015.

I get it. Lost revenue. That is made up when you win this game and have a chance to be in March. As an XL guy I am ok with it. Just give me Cincinnati and Houston (maybe even Witchia) at XL. I want Memphis @ Gampel. I'll make the drive :)

Nah man I totally get it - give me a choice of which place from at atmosphere standpoint, then give me Gampel all day. And no question, students deserve it.

But this is a transition year. They're losing gallons of money. I'll be honest - the Big East move is great, but unless G5 scheduling is really this bad, this is almost a borderline indefensible home slate out of conference from a box office standpoint.

Winning the game would be fun, but it's not making a magic $200k in lost revenue. Look - i'm the guy who's been all about lighting money on fire to get out of the American, casually buying out Ollie, etc. But there's gotta be a point where someone has to at least pretend a little bit to care about the financial side of things - and I was at the Arizona and Georgetown games and the students traveled and the atmosphere was electric for both. I like electricity too, but it's not different enough when both buildings are rocking to justify passing up the extra quarter of a million dollars.

My hope is we don't sweat this heading forward, but holy smokes does this home slate absolutely suck. I can't believe someone didn't sit Hurley down and say 'look, we love your Dad, too but jesus. St. Peter's?' Like get SOMEONE on there. You mean to tell me a B1G dreg or ACC slag wasn't up for a trip up here? Or a Nevada or Gonzaga or anyone worthwhile out of state? Anyone?

The flip side of my argument would be that they've already lit so much money on fire putting a crap home schedule together, that what's another $200k more?

Reaction Score
@Towney007 to defend them I think they got caught in between. They were waiting to see how the Big East thing shook out before finalizing some things with some teams. And it makes sense. Starting next year they have 20 conference games locked in. They want to be in the Gavitt games and the Big 12 challenge that first year. So from a scheduling standpoint that is 4 extra games (2 conference, 2 challenges) that would take away from the normal OOC. Now it does not appear they have a 3 day tournament scheduled like we do this year, but do we have the return game to Florida. And it sounds like they will have Memphis on the schedule next year, most likely at home with the start of a 2 year agreement.

My point is this schedule is not what it will look like going forward. But they didn't want to overload it this year with the return games next year when they have the 20 conference games, a potential Big 10 game, a Big 12 game, Florida, and now Memphis.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom