FSU looking to leave the ACC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

FSU looking to leave the ACC

Reaction Score
I'd like to believe that if FSU gets out, there won't be much of the ACC left aft UVA, UNC, and possibly Clemson all follow. This would require the league to have to take a hard look at who is out there. I know Rule #1 will go against this logic, but without the football schools, FSU, Clemson, there would be enough schools who wanted UConn the last time when they added Louisville instead. I'd like to believe we'd get in but with those schools who the heck knows.
It would be a weird concoction of schools, for sure - basically a hybrid of the original ACC, Big East, and Conference USA (oh and Stanford/Cal). The question is, who takes over the wheel assuming the aforementioned schools depart, and what do they prioritize? Between Wake, Duke, Stanford, Cal, etc., perhaps you're looking at returning to a more homogenous group of institutions that share the same values, in which case UConn would make sense. But then you still have Louisville, SMU, and who the hell knows what BC, Cuse, Pitt, etc. want.

Reaction Score
The ACC has given no indication that it plans to ever invite UConn, no matter how many defections it may absorb. The league has serious buyer's remorse over many of the Big East schools it's added at UConn's expense, and logically or not, will hold that against UConn in the future.
I have zero doubt UCONN will be invited if the ACC is poached. It no longer will be a P-5 conference and the pickings will be slim. UCONN will be a logical choice to add.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If the ACC damn breaks you can guarantee FSU, Clemson, UVA and UNC are gone within a minute. VT, NC State, Ga Tech and Miami are gone shortly thereafter. Pitt is probably next. Eventually the dook brand name and access to North Carolina has some desirability. That leaves UConn with a conference of BCU, cuse, Wake Forest, Louisville and probably SMU. I wouldn't be surprised if Stanford and Cal leave the ACC at the alter at that point.
So, it's basically half the BE football before the first ACC raid.

And amazingly enough, that would be way better than UConn staying independent.

Reaction Score
If the ACC damn breaks you can guarantee FSU, Clemson, UVA and UNC are gone within a minute. VT, NC State, Ga Tech and Miami are gone shortly thereafter. Pitt is probably next. Eventually the dook brand name and access to North Carolina has some desirability. That leaves UConn with a conference of BCU, cuse, Wake Forest, Louisville and probably SMU. I wouldn't be surprised if Stanford and Cal leave the ACC at the alter at that point.

The issue is that we then would have to leave the Big East.

Maybe, the Big East should start a football wing again and slowly try to bring schools back to a logical east coast conference with a lucrative basketball branch. Follow the Yormark strategy.

Reaction Score
I have zero doubt UCONN will be invited if the ACC is poached. It no longer will be a P-5 conference and the pickings will be slim. UCONN will be a logical choice to add.
Delaware will get an invite before UConn, because Lacrosse. I have zero doubt that no matter what happens with CR, UConn will always be hitting the goal post, because it always moves. It will be the P2 and everyone else, and UConn will end up on some lower rung of the G ladder.

Reaction Score
The issue is that we then would have to leave the Big East.

Maybe, the Big East should start a football wing again and slowly try to bring schools back to a logical east coast conference with a lucrative basketball branch. Follow the Yormark strategy.
I agree. Times have changed and the C7 may realize they need to protect their investment Yes, any football school will leave when called up but I think the “newbie“ needs to think outside of the box and create as strong a basketball league as possible

Reaction Score

I don't think all of those teams would get scooped up by the remaining 3 power leagues. There's a reason the ACC is not a valuable league.

FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC, UVA, and VT are definitely finding homes. ND too, if they want one.

Pitt, NCSU, Duke, and Louisville maybe but not guaranteed. I don't think all four get invites.

Wake, BC, GT, Syracuse - not happening.

I'd bet about 6 of the original 15 plus the three new ones do not get a P3 invite.

It's not an outlandish possibility that the Big East reconstitutes its 90s-early 2000s model.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Then again, we've been the logical choice for decades, that's never moved us to the front of the line.

Reaction Score
Then again, we've been the logical choice for decades, that's never moved us to the front of the line.
In the past, our presidents and athletic directors had no idea what they were doing in realignment. Let's hope that has changed.

Reaction Score
I don't think all of those teams would get scooped up by the remaining 3 power leagues. There's a reason the ACC is not a valuable league.

FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC, UVA, and VT are definitely finding homes. ND too, if they want one.

Pitt, NCSU, Duke, and Louisville maybe but not guaranteed. I don't think all four get invites.

I'd bet about 6 of the original 15 plus the three new ones do not get a P3 invite.

It's not an outlandish possibility that the Big East reconstitutes its 90s-early 2000s model.
Big East is at the cross point where it to negotiate a new media deal right now. If Big East wants to do something, this is the time to do this by working with Fox and other media companies on what will bring the maximum media value to the conference.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

GT is going somewhere because of its great academics and access to the Georgia and Atlanta markets. I can't think of a compelling reason to add any of the city schools other than Miami for access to football recruiting- Louisville, Syracuse, BCU, Pitt have no appeal from my perspective but out of those Pitt probably goes first. Wake isn't getting picked up by anyone. Duke will get an invite due to academics and access to North Carolina.

Census bureau just dumped new data this week and its compelling. The South- North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Texas make up 90% of population gains in the country. The outflow from California, New York, Illinois and stagnation across the rest of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic is real.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Where in the world do you think all these landing spots are coming from?

If FSU breaks the GOR it's probably more likely they just reconstitute a new ACC with the southern football schools.

Reaction Score
Even if
FSU, UNC, ND, UVA to B1G
Miami, Clemson, NCST, Louisville, GT, VT to SEC or XII

The remaining ACC is best case for UConn
BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Duke, Wake, SMU, Cal, Stanford and that conference remains the 4th best conference so they can pick any value left from the G5.

Reaction Score
UConn will likely be in whatever is left of the ACC. Washington State and Oregon State might as well.

Reaction Score
Unless morally vacuous FSU’s potentially groundless lawsuit indirectly benefits UConn, puck ‘em. The cesspool stank and karma lingers on from Free Shoes’ direct involvement with ESPN, scUM and BCU undermining the original Big East and raping UConn. Other than that, go Huskies!

Reaction Score
GT is going somewhere because of its great academics and access to the Georgia and Atlanta markets. I can't think of a compelling reason to add any of the city schools other than Miami for access to football recruiting- Louisville, Syracuse, BCU, Pitt have no appeal from my perspective but out of those Pitt probably goes first. Wake isn't getting picked up by anyone. Duke will get an invite due to academics and access to North Carolina.

Census bureau just dumped new data this week and its compelling. The South- North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Texas make up 90% of population gains in the country. The outflow from California, New York, Illinois and stagnation across the rest of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic is real.
Access to markets is not a key priority anymore. It's not 2008. It's about success, size of fanbase, and whether anyone watches you on TV.

Networks are no longer paying for the Northwestern/Vanderbilt/Georgia Tech's of the world.

Reaction Score
UConn will likely be in whatever is left of the ACC. Washington State and Oregon State might as well.

Don’t hold your breath. Nobody ever lost money betting against UConn in realignment.

Reaction Score

Markets really don’t matter. Brands matter.

Reaction Score

The SEC and the BIG are wise to lay low and dismiss any speculation that they are interested in FSU lest they be accused of interference with contractual relations. Officially, FSU is doing this without conditions and it appears to be an organic development. Now, maybe there has been a "wink and a nod", but nothing definitive or concrete. Bottom line - FSU will do fine if it can free itself from the ACC shackles. I betting it will be out and the likes of Clemson, UNC, UVA (maybe UM) won't be far behind.

Importantly, the rubber is going to meet the road quickly for the likes of BC, Syra, WF, Pitt etc. They will not be in the top 36-40 football teams that will end up dominating college football while ensconced in one of the two super conferences, the SEC or the BIG. (It was always going to come down to two super conferences for football - a mini NFL model.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom