FSU looking to leave the ACC | The Boneyard

FSU looking to leave the ACC

Reaction Score
FSU has called a special meeting of their trustees tomorrow morning. Looks like they want to leave the ACC and challenge the GOR. Being left out of the playoffs was apparently the last straw.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FSU has called a special meeting of their trustees tomorrow morning. Looks like they want to leave the ACC and challenge the GOR.
Best Friends GIF

Geesh FSU. Go, or don't go, but stop blathering on about it.

Reaction Score
That doesn't matter. It's the whole principle of what happened. And it's a great excuse.

Reaction Score
Good for Florida State. I won’t be shocked if Clemson follows them. I would guess that there will eventually be a settlement that gets FSU out. There is zero benefit to having a member that doesn’t want to be there over the long run. It will cost them some money but no where near the amounts being tossed around. Plus, if they go to the SEC even if ESPN “owned” their home games, I suspect the SEC would cut a deal for them. After all nobody on either side will want to carry SEC games on the ACC network. And at some point the value declines anyway.

Reaction Score
That doesn't matter. It's the whole principle of what happened. And it's a great excuse.
I don’t think that’s the main issue - it’s money - the Big Ten and SEC tv contracts are so much more than ACC.

I think either way ACC becomes AAC and UCONN still is stuck with the have nots.

Reaction Score
I don’t think that’s the main issue - it’s money - the Big Ten and SEC tv contracts are so much more than ACC.

I think either way ACC becomes AAC and UCONN still is stuck with the have nots.
That's why I said it's great excuse. It's all about the money. And I agree that the ACC with effectively become something akin to the AAC, but better. That being said, I'd rather be with the have nots than the have nothings.

Reaction Score
That's why I said it's great excuse. It's all about the money. And I agree that the ACC with effectively become something akin to the AAC, but better. That being said, I'd rather be with the have nots than the have nothings.
I mean if we don’t get invited to the carcass that will be the ACC (programs will be poached by SEC, Big 10 and Big 12) then you can officially stick a fork in the program.

Reaction Score
It's not just the TV contracts. The ACC is not in the P2 and FSU wants into the P2. Plus, an SEC schedule would be a home run for FSU as they wouldn't have to worry about sellouts.

Apparently, some ACC schools have gone to ACC headquarters to review the GORs as they aren't allowed to leave the ACC's HQ. And, if you look at the schools that that voted against adding Stanford and Cal, Clemson, Florida St, UNC, it's clear which schools want out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What are they going to do, sue their way out? Then they would have to blackball themselves.

Reaction Score
I mean if we don’t get invited to the carcass that will be the ACC (programs will be poached by SEC, Big 10 and Big 12) then you can officially stick a fork in the program.
At that point, I would officially support dropping down into CAA Football.

Reaction Score
I’m not so sure about how much poaching will go on. Does the BIG 10 actually benefit from adding anyone? Maybe Virginia and UNC. But honestly what do they bring for football? Maryland and Rutgers are poster children for misguided additions. Duke? The league that didn’t take Stanford ain’t taking Duke either. Who is the great fit? Plus it just took a bunch of schools it didn’t really want, Cal, Washington Oregon and is trying to create its west coast branch.

As far as the SEC goes, the logical targets are FSU and Clemson. But South Carolina and Florida aren’t necessarily on board though I would guess the Florida governor would make sure Florida won’t derail FSU’s bid.

The ACC has always been a basketball first league. Neither Clemson nor FSU have ever really fit that profile. Even Louisville, despite having good football is first and foremost a basketball school.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The only thing worse then joining the decaying remains of the ACC after the top programs leave would be not joining it.

Reaction Score
Root for it to happen. We need the realignment wheel to keep spinning.
Meh. I think we are looking at two mega conferences and I can’t see them having any interest in UCONN.

Maybe Big 12 will add them? But I am guessing they go for some ACC teams first.

Reaction Score
It's not just the TV contracts. The ACC is not in the P2 and FSU wants into the P2. Plus, an SEC schedule would be a home run for FSU as they wouldn't have to worry about sellouts.

Apparently, some ACC schools have gone to ACC headquarters to review the GORs as they aren't allowed to leave the ACC's HQ. And, if you look at the schools that that voted against adding Stanford and Cal, Clemson, Florida St, UNC, it's clear which schools want out.
I have serious doubts the SEC would take FSU or Clemson, they already own the states and ESPN is not going to let tow teams they have at 50 cents join a conference where they'd have to pay full price. B1G is the more likely destination.

Even then, it's going to take a good chunk of money to get out of the GOR, so they might have to sell to private equity which will bring a whole set of issues later on

Reaction Score
FSU & UNC will be the first two to the Big Ten. I don't think Clemson is nearly as desirable to either the SEC or Big Ten as most would think off their recent run.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
FSU & UNC will be the first two to the Big Ten. I don't think Clemson is nearly as desirable to either the SEC or Big Ten as most would think off their recent run.
If UNC is willing, this would be home run for the Big10. FSU is so much valuable to the Big10 than the SEC. Getting a foothold in Florida would be a boon.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If the B1G gets into Florida, they will become the NFL in their geography. The only region missing will be the Southwest. It's just crazy!

Reaction Score
The ACC has given no indication that it plans to ever invite UConn, no matter how many defections it may absorb. The league has serious buyer's remorse over many of the Big East schools it's added at UConn's expense, and logically or not, will hold that against UConn in the future.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The ACC has given no indication that it plans to ever invite UConn, no matter how many defections it may absorb. The league has serious buyer's remorse over many of the Big East schools it's added at UConn's expense, and logically or not, will hold that against UConn in the future.
I'd like to believe that if FSU gets out, there won't be much of the ACC left aft UVA, UNC, and possibly Clemson all follow. This would require the league to have to take a hard look at who is out there. I know Rule #1 will go against this logic, but without the football schools, FSU, Clemson, there would be enough schools who wanted UConn the last time when they added Louisville instead. I'd like to believe we'd get in but with those schools who the heck knows.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom