FSU looking to leave the ACC | Page 4 | The Boneyard

FSU looking to leave the ACC

Reaction Score
Some various thoughts:

Louisville has more tv viewership and value than many people on here give them credit for. It is a bit surprising but a fact. Look it up.

Generally, Fox has been about markets and ESPN has been about brands. Big10/Fox added LA/Cali, NY/NJ, and MD/DC/VA with their last adds. SEC/ESPN added the historical brands of Texas and Oklahoma...

Will their strategies change as we enter the streaming tipping point and also as additions dip down into the next tier of schools/programs? Probably.

I think the SEC is a bit more constrained than the Big10 - in terms of geography and their own mindset. In the long run, the Big10 is a money machine as it has/will have huge populated markets and access to southern state athletes presuming they add one or two FL schools, maybe GA Tech, an NC and or VA school so they will catch up to the SEC football-wise.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Some various thoughts:

Louisville has more tv viewership and value than many people on here give them credit for. It is a bit surprising but a fact. Look it up.

Generally, Fox has been about markets and ESPN has been about brands. Big10/Fox added LA/Cali, NY/NJ, and MD/DC/VA with their last adds. SEC/ESPN added the historical brands of Texas and Oklahoma...

Will their strategies change as we enter the streaming tipping point and also as additions dip down into the next tier of schools/programs? Probably.

I think the SEC is a bit more constrained than the Big10 - in terms of geography and their own mindset. In the long run, the Big10 is a money machine as it has/will have huge populated markets and access to southern state athletes presuming they add one or two FL schools, maybe GA Tech, an NC and or VA school so they will catch up to the SEC football-wise.

Yeah, California whose population is declining is a market but UT in the fastest growing state is a "brand".

The Texas market for viewing college football is multiple times more valuable than LA and SoCal.

Reaction Score
And GT is a brand that those southern schools appreciate. Plus, Atlanta is less than a 2 hour flight for every P5 school. Easy weekend for opposing fans to come in and visit the city. Plus, all these 20 team conferences will need some patsies.

GT is old school money and they'll be in. They'll definitely get in before Miami, dook, WF, BCU, scuse, Lville or Pitt.

Georgia Tech translates to mediocre in Georgian.

Reaction Score
Yeah, California whose population is declining is a market but UT in the fastest growing state is a "brand".

The Texas market for viewing college football is multiple times more valuable than LA and SoCal.

Except adding SMU doesn’t mean you capture the Texas market. Or even result in capturing a piece that’s worth talking about.

Reaction Score
Some various thoughts:

The SEC isn’t constrained. They can still read a map and they know they have a more solid package staying in their region.

Everyone else is gerrymandering their way around the country to try and catch up. A futile task.

Reaction Score
While that does seem to be the trend, eventually you run out of brands - at which point markets do start to matter again. And as the sport's largest fan bases are congregated into two or three leagues, someone's going to strike oil by building the brand through local talent. We've seen it to varying degrees in every era, and I think that's part of why the ACC took a flyer on SMU.

At that point it stops making sense to expand. Everything left is redundant and dilutive.

Repeat after me: The ship has sailed for UConn.

Reaction Score
The SEC isn’t constrained. They can still read a map and they know they have a more solid package staying in their region.

Everyone else is gerrymandering their way around the country to try and catch up. A futile task.
I think they are constrained in terms of large markets and affluence when compared to the Big10. And they don't seemed too interested in expanding and seemingly not very north in general nor west of TX. Above-board NIL, future athlete employee status, and the transfer portal will continue to level the playing field.

Reaction Score
Saw an interesting argument for FSU that deals with the ACC's fiduciary responsibility to ensure the conference would negotiate the best possible deal for the universities once the GOR was signed.

FSU views this as a breach of contract that they were coerced to sign under the term Hobson's Choice, sort of like a shotgun wedding.

FSU showed that while ESPN signed a multi billion deal with the SEC, the ACC never failed to properly negotiate the best deal when they signed that crappy deal with ESPN.

I think FSU has a case

Also since FSU filed in Florida and the ACC filed in NC, it appears that a federal court will now have to hear the case

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think they are constrained in terms of large markets and affluence when compared to the Big10. And they don't seemed too interested in expanding and seemingly not very north in general nor west of TX. Above-board NIL, future athlete employee status, and the transfer portal will continue to level the playing field.
I think the SEC is not concerned because if they wanted to, they could have basically any major school they wanted outside of Ohio St, Penn St, Michigan. The thing is, they don't want to expand and split the money anymore. They're looking at the B1G and their massive deal and then seeing all the mouths they need to feed. Wanna add FSU, UVa, and UNC and spread the wealth thinner? I'm sure the SEC would have no issue watching that happen.

Reaction Score
I think the SEC is not concerned because if they wanted to, they could have basically any major school they wanted outside of Ohio St, Penn St, Michigan. The thing is, they don't want to expand and split the money anymore. They're looking at the B1G and their massive deal and then seeing all the mouths they need to feed. Wanna add FSU, UVa, and UNC and spread the wealth thinner? I'm sure the SEC would have no issue watching that happen.
I think there's truth in a lot of what you say but for me I think they'll look back in 25 years and think they probably didn't expand enough/quickly enough when the B1G added valuable properties. Bottom line, the B1G is thinking strategically and the SEC is thinking tactically. The B1G has always thought bigger picture in terms of academics, research, donor relations, business acumen, markets, etc. The SEC is more about winning football games now.

Reaction Score
I think there's truth in a lot of what you say but for me I think they'll look back in 25 years and think they probably didn't expand enough/quickly enough when the B1G added valuable properties. Bottom line, the B1G is thinking strategically and the SEC is thinking tactically. The B1G has always thought bigger picture in terms of academics, research, donor relations, business acumen, markets, etc. The SEC is more about winning football games now.

I don’t agree with that either. The SEC just doesn’t need to have and doesn’t have the same strategy.

Plus they have managed to preserve every rivalry and matchup in the conference, while adding Texas and Oklahoma who are true goliaths of the sport.

And they did it all with diluting their brand. They are playing it perfectly.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I don’t agree with that either. The SEC just doesn’t need to have and doesn’t have the same strategy.

Plus they have managed to preserve every rivalry and matchup in the conference, while adding Texas and Oklahoma who are true goliaths of the sport.

And they did it all with diluting their brand. They are playing it perfectly.
I agree with both and for each, they are expanding what’s best for them. The SEC got the biggest fish so far with Texas, but the nationwide aspect of the Big10 spreads the image of the member schools to so many areas. If the Big10 can get FSU, they will truly be in almost every corner of the nation (I know one way to fix the NE hole). The SEC is doing it their way as well with southern pride and state rivalries. I think the duo of Oklahoma and Texas are such a home run that almost nothing outside of ND the Big10 can do can match it. The SEC does not need to add anybody else and they will be set for what they want to do.

Reaction Score
I agree with both and for each, they are expanding what’s best for them. The SEC got the biggest fish so far with Texas, but the nationwide aspect of the Big10 spreads the image of the member schools to so many areas. If the Big10 can get FSU, they will truly be in almost every corner of the nation (I know one way to fix the NE hole). The SEC is doing it their way as well with southern pride and state rivalries. I think the duo of Oklahoma and Texas are such a home run that almost nothing outside of ND the Big10 can do can match it. The SEC does not need to add anybody else and they will be set for what they want to do.

I can only think of one major SEC school that might make sense for B1G, and I have heard they have interest. And that’s Florida. But it’s a total long shot in the most extreme sense of the term.

Reaction Score
1703453939982.png

Reaction Score
Bob Thompson@rltsports
Retired President of Fox Sports Networks and BTN Co-founder.

I get that, but don't they have lawyers review these things before making decisions?

Reaction Score
I get that, but don't they have lawyers review these things before making decisions?
The presidents were singing kombaya when they signed the GOR. They were desperate to sign the ESPN deal with very little foresight. The real problem was the makeup of the conference, but that was also their own fault.

Reaction Score
The presidents were singing kombaya when they signed the GOR. They were desperate to sign the ESPN deal with very little foresight. The real problem was the makeup of the conference, but that was also their own fault.
I think it is naive that they went into this brand new dynamic so doe eyed and ignorant charmed by a snake handling acc chair

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yes. They were basically one of the countless people who were thrilled when they bought a Mcmansion in 2006 but by 2009 were complaining that they were taken advantage of by predatory lenders.

Reaction Score
Yes. They were basically one of the countless people who were thrilled when they bought a Mcmansion in 2006 but by 2009 were complaining that they were taken advantage of by predatory lenders.

Thats no longer an issue, unless they sold prior to covid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom