FS1 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Six years from now and things will be very different for the AAC if they can produce on the field and in the stadiums. And for those football guys who don't follow bb SMU got a top ten high school bb recruit and took him away from Kentucky.

Man do I want UConn to beat Michigan, Maryland, Rutgers and Louisville in football this season and the men's bb team to get to the sweet sixteen or better.

Maryland is horrible...so that game is very winnable, Rutgers is very winnable...Louisville is winnable but tougher, and Michigan would be an upset.

Reaction Score
NBC also missed the boat by underbidding. What were they thinking? They would have done a credible job. Their coverage looks like Olympic level stuff so far (and yes I'm watching Cycling).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
NBC also missed the boat by underbidding. What were they thinking? They would have done a credible job. Their coverage looks like Olympic level stuff so far (and yes I'm watching Cycling).
They were thinking UConn and Cincinnati had one foot out the door! Sad thing is if the BE never fell apart with the loss of Cuse and Pitt who knows how much NBC would have ponied up for the BE conference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How hard is it? FS1 had lower ratings in Week 1 than Speed did.

Reaction Score
One neat thing about the EPL when it comes to people with families like myself who aren't out every Friday night is that we have Saturday morning get togethers at a local soccer bar here, and the people are already drinking beer by 7 am. I don't arrive until 10. It is a cool thing for the guys to get together for that. We may gather in my living room now with NBC SN, but with kids around, don't think it will be the same.

I think NBC has a really good thing going with this.

quite the family man. stay home on Friday night to go boozing on Saturday morning. and somehow you make it all the way to 10:00am. Wow.
:)

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
They did show the wrong game though, by featuring Tottenham and Swansea. I can't blame them since Swansea has a lot more talent on the field than Cardiff. This would be the equivalent of featuring a Michigan State versus Virginia game rather than a Michigan versus Appalachian State game on the day Appalachian State upset Michigan.

you can never go wrong showing the spurs. big following in ct :)

edit: only sorta kidding, i find a large following round here.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It wasn't CT, it was national. I don't know much about the EPL but seemed strange to me - at least they got to extra time of the Manchester City game.

I was at Duke for UConn the day of the App St upset. Fairly sure that was BTN when no one saw had it and few witnessed it.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I caught a good amount of Sunday's coverage. NBCS is doing an incredible job. Their coverage is actually so good I look forward to seeing more. I'm not even really a club soccer fan.

I've never been much of one before this past year, but I'm a convert... and NBC's coverage really is excellent. The difference when I was watching the Capital One Cup match on BEIN or the Champions League on Fox Sports is really noticable. I also get a kick out of the insane tiered levels of European football and tournaments and leagues. I'm pretty much a complete novice to this so it usually takes me 5-10 minutes of watching and Google to figure out what I'm watching. ;)

Reaction Score
I've never been much of one before this past year, but I'm a convert... and NBC's coverage really is excellent. The difference when I was watching the Capital One Cup match on BEIN or the Champions League on Fox Sports is really noticable. I also get a kick out of the insane tiered levels of European football and tournaments and leagues. I'm pretty much a complete novice to this so it usually takes me 5-10 minutes of watching and Google to figure out what I'm watching. ;)

The difference is that NBC is using closer camera angles and taking you inside the game. Better replays and also highlight shows. It's not a mystery. They are using the NFL's playbook while Fox is stuck with the European way of showing games.

Reaction Score
How hard is it? FS1 had lower ratings in Week 1 than Speed did.

Yeah, but, the amount of desireable content their target audience wants was sort of low the first week. They still showed a lot of motorsports, which they held over from Speed. Once CFB gets up and running, FS1's numbers will improve. And, the motorsports TV will gradually lessen to the point its not even noticeable.

Its sort of ironic, because when Speed first appeared (as Speedvision), it was really good. They showed all kinds of racing, and, car buff shows. However, once they got possession of some NASCAR broadcast rights, they OD'ed on it. And, a lot of that earlier good content disappeared. As a fan, its really too bad somebody didn't step up to keep Speed on the air.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have no idea what ESPN's problem is with UConn, but it is obvious there is a very serious problem. UConn has given ESPN $100 million and is one of only a small handful of schools worse off by realignment. ESPN picked the winners and losers, and picked about 110 other schools to be winners in realignment, and UConn, Cincinnati, and USF to be losers. The jury is in, and UConn athletics is a smoking hole in the ground.

I don't understand why whaler, zls and others keep apologizing for ESPN. If your neighbor gets you fired from your job, frames you for a crime, sleeps with your wife, impregnates your daughter, gets your son addicted to gambling, steals your retirement savings, and burns down your house, you would think that eventually you would stop trying to be his friend. Whaler and zls still want to be ESPN's friend.

Reaction Score
Fox Sports will be 'active participant' in Big Ten rights talks
(http://thegazette.com/2013/09/04/fox-to-make-major-push-for-b1g-rights/)

This is certainly not a surprise but I post it to get an opinion from those of you with knowledge about grant of rights.

If Fox, which also has a partnership with the Big 12 (http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=205680799), were to acquire the B1G media rights would this impact in any way the ability of a Big 12 team to move to the B1G?

Reaction Score
I can't answer your question B1GALUM, but since Fox is a partner with the B1G in BTN, this certainly would create some incestual issues between the two networks. Right now, ESPN pays a lot because it grabs the best games. But with Fox you have some interesting convergences if it owned both properties at the same time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Because I care, it's Spurs. The Spurs are from San Antonio.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I can't answer your question B1GALUM, but since Fox is a partner with the B1G in BTN, this certainly would create some incestual issues between the two networks. Right now, ESPN pays a lot because it grabs the best games. But with Fox you have some interesting convergences if it owned both properties at the same time.
It certainly would keep ESPN in the dark about what the B!G is doing and could push the ACC into action!

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure if Fox told the B12 to "bark like a dog", everyone but UT and OU would fall right in line.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have no idea what ESPN's problem is with UConn, but it is obvious there is a very serious problem. UConn has given ESPN $100 million and is one of only a small handful of schools worse off by realignment. ESPN picked the winners and losers, and picked about 110 other schools to be winners in realignment, and UConn, Cincinnati, and USF to be losers. The jury is in, and UConn athletics is a smoking hole in the ground.

I don't understand why whaler, zls and others keep apologizing for ESPN. If your neighbor gets you fired from your job, frames you for a crime, sleeps with your wife, impregnates your daughter, gets your son addicted to gambling, steals your retirement savings, and burns down your house, you would think that eventually you would stop trying to be his friend. Whaler and zls still want to be ESPN's friend.

Oh good Waylon is in attack mode.

I don't think ESPN has the influence you assume. They didn't pick Pitt, they didn't pick Louisville , they didn't make the Maryland, Rutgers, West Virginia, TCU, Utah or Colorado moves.

So other than that - yeah they pull all the strings.

It was geniuses like you who wanted to turn down 9 figure deals with NBC lurking. NBC ha!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Oh good Waylon is in attack mode.

I don't think ESPN has the influence you assume. They didn't pick Pitt, they didn't pick Louisville , they didn't make the Maryland, Rutgers, West Virginia, TCU, Utah or Colorado moves.

So other than that - yeah they pull all the strings.

It was geniuses like you who wanted to turn down 9 figure deals with NBC lurking. NBC ha!

What is the scoreboard of schools that came out ahead or behind in conference realignment?

When 14 of the 17 conference schools increased their revenue by>50% by turning the offer down, I think it is safe to say the offer was a lowball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What is the scoreboard of schools that came out ahead or behind in conference realignment?

When 14 of the 17 conference schools increased their revenue by>50% by turning the offer down, I think it is safe to say the offer was a lowball.

You know that is possibly the most disingenuous statement you've ever made.

Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia and Louisville drew a flush on the river. Syracuse and Pittsburgh aren't worth a damn - only the details of the ACC contract saved them. Pitt was also saved by the grace of Boston College's stupidity. Louisville was dead and buried in the AAC if the Big 10 doesn't make a ridiculous reach for Maryland. West Virginia hit the lottery when the Big 12 found themselves barren.

They rejected the contract because they were clueless enough to think they could do better in the open market. That some of the schools stepped in doesn't make it a good decision.

The AAC and MWC contracts prove it. Unless you'd like to argue that the AAC adding Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville and WVU takes their average rake up by 8 figures because that's what you are implying by saying $12 million a year was a lowball offer.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You know that is possibly the most disingenuous statement you've ever made.

Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia and Louisville drew a flush on the river. Syracuse and Pittsburgh aren't worth a damn - only the details of the ACC contract saved them. Pitt was also saved by the grace of Boston College's stupidity. Louisville was dead and buried in the AAC if the Big 10 doesn't make a ridiculous reach for Maryland. West Virginia hit the lottery when the Big 12 found themselves barren.

They rejected the contract because they were clueless enough to think they could do better in the open market. That some of the schools stepped in doesn't make it a good decision.

The AAC and MWC contracts prove it. Unless you'd like to argue that the AAC adding Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville and WVU takes their average rake up by 8 figures because that's what you are implying by saying $12 million a year was a lowball offer.

Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse, Rutgers, TCU, WVU, Marquette, Georgetown, Depaul, St. Johns, Providence, Villanova, Seton Hall, and Notre Dame basketball all got incredibly lucky when they turned down the "fair" ESPN offer and then got 50% to over 100% more in TV revenue within 18 months. It was just luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom