From S.C.’s Sweet 16 Team To UConn’s Eric Cobb, Frank Martin Always Teaching | The Boneyard

From S.C.’s Sweet 16 Team To UConn’s Eric Cobb, Frank Martin Always Teaching

Reaction Score
Article from Jeff Jacobs. Mostly about Frank Martin but some stuff on Eric Cobb in there.

After playing for Chipola (Fla.) Junior College this past winter, Cobb, the big body rebounder UConn dearly needs, committed to the Huskies.

"I just spoke to Eric [Wednesday]," Martin said. "He is a beautiful kid. All of us who get old, we start judging these kids and we forget ourselves when we were that age. None of us were perfect. None of us lived life at 18, 19 without making mistakes. Some of us got away with it.

"I am telling you he is a beautiful kid. He comes from a background of difficulty. I'll never forget the day he knocked on my door and goes, 'Coach, look, look. I haven't had a 3.0 since second grade.' He wanted to show me his grades. Kevin [Ollie] is going to be a great role model for the kid. I'm happy for Kevin. I'm even happier for Eric. He didn't pout. He didn't complain. He went to junior college, handled it right and now he has another opportunity."

Jeff Jacobs: From S.C.’s Sweet 16 Team To UConn’s Eric Cobb, Frank Martin Always Teaching

Reaction Score
Martin does seem like a tough but good guy and coach.

I am frankly surprised at how good of a coach is has turned out to be.
I originally thought that he was just an assistant that got the job when Huggy Bear left KState to return to WVU. A guy who got the gig b/c he was on the staff but not someone who had the skill or chops to last. Clearly I was very wrong as the guy did a nice job at KState and now great at SC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Martin is nothing special as a coach.

But it's nice that he would say good things about Eric Cobb.

Reaction Score
As a coach, you don't win by consensus. Coach Martin is demanding, disciplined, and requires his athletes to play aggressive defense (Duke will tell you that), and opportunistic offense. Not everyone will be a scorer but the team is successful when everyone understands their role and executes on gameday. Quite frankly, may I say, I see similarities in Coach Martin and our beloved Coach Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's me but why again was he speaking to our recruit last Wednesday?
Because college coaches are usually more than just coaches to these kids, they are teachers and father figures who they have relationships with, so its not crazy that they would talk about a big life decision.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Some people crack me up
Martin make a sweet 16 and he is a good/great coach
KO - nah he's a bum

I'm wondering who you're talking about, because it's clearly not me.

Reaction Score
He was a complete sob until the duane notice thing almost got him canned.......seems to have
toned it down since......and for the better

Reaction Score
As a coach, you don't win by consensus. Coach Martin is demanding, disciplined, and requires his athletes to play aggressive defense (Duke will tell you that), and opportunistic offense. Not everyone will be a scorer but the team is successful when everyone understands their role and executes on gameday. Quite frankly, may I say, I see similarities in Coach Martin and our beloved Coach Calhoun.

I see similarities too, they're both nuts when kids make stupid mistakes!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom