From Lou to Eternity: The Monumental Recruiting Topic Drift Thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

From Lou to Eternity: The Monumental Recruiting Topic Drift Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS

Reaction Score
Lots of differing opinions, no one being overly nasty or getting personal in disagreeing with others, and the world's longest and most viewed thread, so why not?!!
Will correct that slightly: No nasty or personal posts currently visible.

Some deletions, even on very respected posters who got fed up with seemingly endless refrains; some edits to get rid of transfer talk (against the rules, as most are aware).

In short a moderated thread, but not overly so. And with amazing vitality despite some barren and/or redundant stretches of ping-pong posting.

40,000 views, anyone?

Reaction Score
OK everyone, let's just move on. There is nothing to see here. Nobody got hurt, so just move on.

Reaction Score
This thread does let anyone know the character of the people posting on the BY ... what a great bunch of people! ... people who create their own collective boundaries of interaction and aren't afraid to say so if he or she feels the boundaries have been over-stepped ... thanks to the moderators for structuring this board for human beings ...

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Actually you're wrong again. (IF I'm reading this correct and you meant this past season depth wasn't a reason.)

This last season, depth absolutely was an issue. We had one of the shortest rosters ever (well at least since say '95). We had 8 scholarship players for most of the season. And for parts only 7.

I hope you realize that no matter how many times you type that someone is wrong it doesn't make it a fact.

Yes, I was talking about this season in a very specific manner, that being the minutes given to Stewart and Jefferson which you seem to have missed or ignored. One or sometimes both were out there in the dying minutes of 20+ point leads when they could've easily been on the bench. Geno likes to play them. Hence, I very much doubt their minutes take a drastic hit when the larger rosters arrive.

Finally, to make it clear to everyone, I have zero problem with a bigger roster. The future looks exciting with what they have coming in. But that doesn't mean you can squash that many good players in that few of minutes.

Reaction Score
At this point, while we may think highly of the 4 incoming Fr. the truth is that we don't know how they will adjust to the college game so why do we worry about how many minutes will each get in 2015/16? let them show this coming year how well they can play the college game (and in the demanding UConn system) before wondering who will get 10 or 15 or 20 min. per game....

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I can hardly wait to see this group of talent together. Just to clarify, Stewart and Samuelson will have one year together, correct? If so, I do not want to play you that year.

Reaction Score
I can hardly wait to see this group of talent together. Just to clarify, Stewart and Samuelson will have one year together, correct? If so, I do not want to play you that year.
Stewart senior year will be Samuelson fr year...how about if Durr as well is part of it? will you want to play us than? :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I hope you realize that no matter how many times you type that someone is wrong it doesn't make it a fact.
True, it's a fact because it's a fact. Whether I write it or not is irrelevant. I am just pointing it out. Maybe trying to educate.

Yes, I was talking about this season in a very specific manner, that being the minutes given to Stewart and Jefferson which you seem to have missed or ignored. One or sometimes both were out there in the dying minutes of 20+ point leads when they could've easily been on the bench. Geno likes to play them. Hence, I very much doubt their minutes take a drastic hit when the larger rosters arrive.
Well then see, you are wrong. Depth was a concern this year. How can it not be with only 7 scholarship players??? I mean, duh???

Finally, to make it clear to everyone, I have zero problem with a bigger roster.
You certainly seem to. At least a lot more than most of us and Geno anyway.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Well then see, you are wrong. Depth was a concern this year. How can it not be with only 7 scholarship players??? I mean, duh???

This is yet another example. Again, my point about Stewart and Jefferson? Completely ignored. You just sort of build any argument you like and then go after it.

But I'll go along with the strawman. Depth was a terrible, horrible problem this past year, what with the 40-0 record, 35-pt average margin of victory, and one opponent that challenged them (Baylor). If only they had a few more players they might've accomplished something. ;)

Last edited:

JS

Reaction Score
Gapers Block? :rolleyes:

rubbernecking.jpg

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
JS - Is there any way to IGNORE an entire thread so it doesn't appear on my screen? :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Finally, to make it clear to everyone, I have zero problem with a bigger roster. The future looks exciting with what they have coming in. But that doesn't mean you can squash that many good players in that few of minutes.
Geno likes to play good basketball and with 7/8 scholarship players and 2 walk-ons that he was only going to play in the last minute, you had to have 2-3 starters on the floor at all times except the last minute. With only three tall players two of the three would play most of the time - there were a few minutes a game he played all three and few that he played only one. As for wings/guards ... Banks spent about six weeks dealing with a tender ankle and both she and Chong seemed to hit a wall and were not playing very good basketball at the end of the season so the team was down to 6 reliable players with another two players he was only comfortable playing to give wing/guards a breather and two walk-ons he only played in the last minute. Thus a lot of minutes for the starters.
When he had a full roster with solid bench players he trusted he played his 'star' players about 25 minutes a game. That is likely to be the pattern in 2015-16 IF all the recruits and current players turn out as good as everyone here believes they will. And there will likely be a slight bias to upper classmen over freshman.

JS

Reaction Score
JS - Is there any way to IGNORE an entire thread so it doesn't appear on my screen? :)
Yes. You could put everybody in it on ignore.

Which of course raises the question whether you can ignore yourself.

Am not aware of anyone trying it, but then, this is the Boneyard.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Actually, merely putting the original poster on ignore will remove the entire thread. Much more efficient.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
When he had a full roster with solid bench players he trusted he played his 'star' players about 25 minutes a game. That is likely to be the pattern in 2015-16 IF all the recruits and current players turn out as good as everyone here believes they will. And there will likely be a slight bias to upper classmen over freshman.

If you look back over the best players in UConn history, really only Ralph and Charles fit under that 25 minute mark, and Shea's lack of minutes had at least something to do with her injury issues/history. Look at the numbers for the rest:

Tarausi: 24, 29, 32, 32

Moore: 30, 31, 28, 33

Lobo: 23, 32, 29, 29

Sales: 22, 27, 27, 27

Bird: 28, 28, 30

It's probably true that quality freshmen in '15 will ease the load a bit, but I still think Stewart and Jefferson will play a ton their senior seasons.

Reaction Score

But wait please.
pap49 had a great question. Since the website remember each of us, it directs us to the last unread message automatically.
Why then couldn't we have a delete or hide button for posts we think are nonsense?
For example, a few weeks back I got so sick of the continuous A'ja and DD posts. People go on and on about fruitless topics which often turn into garbage, or gossip or belligerence.
Or let's say a member is interested in UCONN women's basketball only. One could block out or delete one by one OT posts.
Just some thoughts.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Will correct that slightly: No nasty or personal posts currently visible.

Some deletions, even on very respected posters who got fed up with seemingly endless refrains; some edits to get rid of transfer talk (against the rules, as most are aware).

In short a moderated thread, but not overly so. And with amazing vitality despite some barren and/or redundant stretches of ping-pong posting.

40,000 views, anyone?

:D

Reaction Score
With so many outstanding players, Geno will introduce a new strategy. The players will be divided into two teams. Each team will play 16 minutes. The remaining (last) 8 minutes will be played by the best performers of each team.

Knowing minutes will be limited, players will go all out while they are on the court and will be competing to play the last 16 minutes. This will result in tremendous offense and defense. Opponents will rarely get over half court within 10 seconds. This will provide the Huskies with an unprecedented number of offensive opportunities and steals. Players will be so satisfied with the number of shots and points the get, there will be no complaints of not enough playing time. Look for winning margins of at least 100 points.

This system will provide UConn with great competition every game - themselves.

Reaction Score
The '15-'16 year is when there WILL be issues. Your outline looks similar to mine except with fewer minutes for Chong, but that's an example of what I'm talking about. You CAN jam them in there if you: A) remove Tuck and Williams from the roster, B) give players like Chong and Edwards 10 minutes a piece.

[mod edit; transfer talk; two strikes]

From another post you had made:

She's (Durr) a great talent who normally you'd love to have. What I am saying is that if you get her you're going to have to live with multiple players leaving, and also that the message sent to future recruits MIGHT to problematic

I think a lot of our issues upon the degree of what you mean by “there WILL be issues” and the degree of your meaning for “problematic.” If you have a deep concern I don’t share it. A lesser concern – ok. A few points:

1---- I’ve provided a prior post in which I’ve shown 10 times over the past 10+ years that UCONN has over-recruited vs. another player. So we’ve done it in the past and have maintained incredible success– so I don’t see over-recruiting as a significant issue or much concern over the degree it may be “problematic.” Thus I am not sure if we are disagreeing.

2--- The four newcomers of 2015-2016 season won’t be making any issue of playing time in their first year. You may find one rare example- but any top-tier top-ten recruits that have come, they won’t stir much because they will get come time anyways – maybe one doesn’t get too much- but there will be many blowouts. Anyhow for 15 years plus super player have come to UCONN and in their 1st year haven’t caused any issues or made it problematic.

3--- Last year with Chong and this year’s class- we haven’t gotten a consensus top ten recruit in these classes (due to Gabby's injury I don't count her.) . Looking at history UCONN issued to getting top ten kids nearly every year. With Gabby’s injury and Kia from Canada we’re not sure about that and last year Chong’s ranking was all over the place. I can’t believe the kids in these two classes didn’t expect to possibly be over-recruited when we have shown a history of doing it. Thus I don’t see ti as problematic. These kids had to know it when they 1tscommitte.

4--- But I think they see something special in terms of even if they don’t start – they have a chance to play professional ball which many have the aspiration. Not all recruits will fit well enough that will lead them to play well. Unfortunately not all recruits will be healthy. IMO if Brianna Banks had a healthy soph and jr year, she’d still be on our team. I wouldn’t call this type of issue problematic for the team if they have the bench. For the kid going through all this, I can never know how they feel and it’s terrible. But we do over-recruit.

5--- A point you haven’t brought up; Potential REDSHIRT. It’s irrelevant who. No point throwing out names. You never know who will be great etc.

Reaction Score
If you look back over the best players in UConn history, really only Ralph and Charles fit under that 25 minute mark, and Shea's lack of minutes had at least something to do with her injury issues/history. Look at the numbers for the rest:

Tarausi: 24, 29, 32, 32

Moore: 30, 31, 28, 33

Lobo: 23, 32, 29, 29

Sales: 22, 27, 27, 27

Bird: 28, 28, 30

It's probably true that quality freshmen in '15 will ease the load a bit, but I still think Stewart and Jefferson will play a ton their senior seasons.

I agree here in terms of 30 minutes we estimated for these two spectacular players in their sr year. You want other players to learn how to play off of them and of course vice-versa.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This is yet another example. Again, my point about Stewart and Jefferson? Completely ignored. You just sort of build any argument you like and then go after it.
Like talking to a wall. :rolleyes:

Your point was that lot's of minutes were given to players this year (specifically Jefferson and Stewart) but your assertion is that it had nothing to do with UCONN's lack of other players to play those minutes (i.e depth). hint hint it did. It's not that hard a concept to get, really. If a team only has 7-8 players, those players are gonna get a lot of minutes.

Back in 2000-2001 when UCONN had lots of players (depth) and lots of good players (i.e. eventual 5 1st team AA's, 9 WNBA players, 2 NPOY's, 5 Olympians), I mean that team had a hell of a lot of talent. Anyway with that many good players minutes went like so:
Bird 27, Abrosimova 24, Cash 23, Ralph 23, Taurasi 23, Williams 19, Jones 19, Johnson 17, Schumacher 16, the rest spread out between Battle, Conlon, Rigby, Czel.

So see, when there are lots of players, there are less minutes per player. When there is no depth, there are more minutes per player. Not rocket science here.

But I'll go along with the strawman. Depth was a terrible, horrible problem this past year, what with the 40-0 record, 35-pt average margin of victory, and one opponent that challenged them (Baylor). If only they had a few more players they might've accomplished something. ;)
How they did this year is irrelevant to the fact that UCONN did not have a lot of depth this year. They could have done very well (40-0) or poorly (39-1) and either way the depth wouldn't change.

These are not hard concepts. Why are you having so much trouble grasping them???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom