From Lou to Eternity: The Monumental Recruiting Topic Drift Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

From Lou to Eternity: The Monumental Recruiting Topic Drift Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And I imagine Geno agrees with me because I've yet to hear him come out and say, "We're done for 2015".

I remember reading a quote from Geno (before any verbals) when asked about 2015 recruitment prospects and he thought UConn had a good chance to get 4 or 5. That was also before Butler transferred. Can't find the article though.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is silly. You've got a player in Durr who is ranked 1 or 2 in the polls and said to have the talent of DT and your thinking we should pass on her. It has also been said she is pro UConn and UConn wants her. So why all the questions. Get her verbal and worry about everything after that. I believe UConn will be so strong that everybody will play and almost everybody will start at some point. Why because there will be slumps and injuries. How silly to think we have the number 1/2 player in the country with all that talent compared to DT and we wouldn't continue to recruit her??????????????? Im not drunk. Come on guys. Asia Durr and your thinking you would pass on her. Hey when Diana verballed we had a transfer. These things happen. Its all about the team and if somebody wants more PT and they dont think they will get it then they should leave. Attitude is everything and being happy all round is necessary for everybody to succeed. Listen if we can get Durr we need to sign her when shes ready. She would be a huge asset. What is all this nonsense about. This is a no brainier.

Reaction Score
You'd have to be specific as to what's over the line in your opinion and why. That's best done by private message to HuskyNan, Biff or me, or by the Report function, and we'll be glad to respond.

As a general comment, you're seeing direct and implied transfer talk in this thread and a certain amount of annoyance with its duration.

Couple that with repeated assertions of a conundrum -- that future recruiting may be hurt by the recruitment of a particular outstanding player -- and the posited establishment of a reputation for "recruiting over" -- and you have a formula for tension.

To clarify, the board has a strict rule against transfer talk that names a specific player or players who have not announced an intention to transfer. The rule doesn't cover generalized transfer talk, and there's the rub. Many here don't like it, whether it's within the rules or not.

They especially are not going to like it if it goes on and on in multiple threads, largely spurred by one poster with great energy for the subject. For those who don't like it, think endless fingernails on the blackboard.

So the annoyance with that is coming out, but neither the discussion nor the response has, to this point, struck us as being over the line.

Thanks for the clarification.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This is the part I’m having a problem with. We might lsoe three players after 201-5-2016 graduation, right?
Gabby’s knees are questionable, right?

So how many scholarship does it leave us if the three leave in 201-5-2016 season and if Gabby goes down or doesn’t return to her form? These are real possibilities, aren't they?

So you have seen Kia Nurse and what is your evalaution of her as a pg, sg and sf?

They'll lose 4 players between 15-16, either 3+1 or 2+2 depending on whether Tuck gets another year (and what is taking so long with that decision?).

I agree that Williams is a question mark, unfortunately. I have not seen Nurse in a game though, just some highlights. Based on what I've read I think she'll be a good player. Maybe never great but good.

I keep trying to figure out the '15 minutes situation and I just can't, partly because I think KLS and Collier are immediate impact players. Something like:

Stew-30
MoJeff-30
Butler-25-30 (call it 27)
KLS-22
Collier-18
Nurse-20
Ekmark-18
Chong-18
Edwards-10

That's 193 which leaves 7 minutes for Boykin, and that lineup doesn't include Tuck or Williams who I took out in a worst-case scenario. And of course Durr isn't factored in either since she's still a hypothetical at this point.

Reaction Score
I am sure Geno & UCONN are still recruiting Durr heavily. Why not ? We would be crazy if we didn't. But I think this puts us in a wonderful spot. We have a great recruiting class coming in, and whether we get Durr or not does not mean we can't win a Nat Championship. IMHO there is no pressure on Geno and UCONN. Let's see if Durr will accept the challenge, and come to the best WBB program in the world. It is now up to Asia Durr, and we will welcome her if she comes, and wish her the best if she does not.

Reaction Score
Not a bad idea, though I don't think that would slow the UConn juggernaut much. You could bring the scholly limit down to 9 and I suspect UConn would still dominate.
How many times in the past ten years has UConn had more than 12 scholarship items? I'm not talking about walkons that were awarded a scholarship because of their perseverance but actually recruited players. If there was a year where that actually happened, it was a fluke. Geno hasn't really wanted to or decided to do that to any extent. Our roster has often been a little meager because he doesn't bring in players just for window dressing. He brings players in that he feels can contribute and help the team to succeed. That being said, it obviously would not have affected the success than Geno has had. I do believe the amount of elite players who have the unselfishness that Geno desires that want to play for UConn has risen appreciably in the past couple of years and now it's a matter of him reacting to what he perceives his needs will be over the next few years.

Reaction Score
This is silly. You've got a player in Durr who is ranked 1 or 2 in the polls and said to have the talent of DT and your thinking we should pass on her. It has also been said she is pro UConn and UConn wants her. So why all the questions. Get her verbal and worry about everything after that. I believe UConn will be so strong that everybody will play and almost everybody will start at some point. Why because there will be slumps and injuries. How silly to think we have the number 1/2 player in the country with all that talent compared to DT and we wouldn't continue to recruit her??????????????? Im not drunk. Come on guys. Asia Durr and your thinking you would pass on her. Hey when Diana verballed we had a transfer. These things happen. Its all about the team and if somebody wants more PT and they dont think they will get it then they should leave. Attitude is everything and being happy all round is necessary for everybody to succeed. Listen if we can get Durr we need to sign her when shes ready. She would be a huge asset. What is all this nonsense about. This is a no brainier.
Agree Tony - don't know what all the fuss is about. Durr would truly be a no-brainier. I have no idea if we'll really have the opportunity to get her, but I do know that teams who win the NC always have superstars. UCONN has invested and built up a program that can attract superstars, so...what's the issue?

It's not like we stockpile talent. I remember before football scholarship limits (yes, OLD...). Oklahoma used to recruit every good quarterback out of Texas and turn them into defensive backs, just so Texas couldn't get them. That's not what's going on here - Geno doesn't even use all his scholarships. Geez - if she wants to come here, then COME ON DOWN!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
They'll lose 4 players between 15-16, either 3+1 or 2+2 depending on whether Tuck gets another year (and what is taking so long with that decision?).

I agree that Williams is a question mark, unfortunately. I have not seen Nurse in a game though, just some highlights. Based on what I've read I think she'll be a good player. Maybe never great but good.

I keep trying to figure out the '15 minutes situation and I just can't, partly because I think KLS and Collier are immediate impact players. Something like:

Stew-30
MoJeff-30
KLS-22
Collier-18
Nurse-20
Ekmark-18
Chong-18
Edwards-10

That's 193 which leaves 7 minutes for Boykin, and that lineup doesn't include Tuck or Williams who I took out in a worst-case scenario. And of course Durr isn't factored in either since she's still a hypothetical at this point.
I think that you might see Stew with 26 to 28 minutes with MoJeff replicating that while Butler could get something like 23 minutes and KLS as well. I think you could conceive Nurese getting the 20 minutes you listed while Collier and Ekmark might bring in 15 minutes as well as Chong. In 2001-2002 almost the entire starting five (who were super) were averaging about 22 to 27 minutes a game, if I remember accurately from a recent poster.My minutes distribution would give 19 more minutes to Edwards and whomever else which I think leaves a reasonable amount of minutes. I don't think Geno would be so exacting in how many minutes each player plays EVERY game. Maybe Stewie would have a game where she might play 33 minutes and another where it may be only 22 minutes. Chong could end up playing 6 minutes in one specific game with her bringing in 19 the next time out. Geno would surely have a massive amount of flexibility with everyone's minutes. What about a scenario (which I would hope doesn't ever come true) where Stewie or MoJeff were to have a bad sprain where they were questionable. Rather than rush to get them back on the court, he would have the luxury of giving them more rest because of the capabilities of the bench players. He might lose a little bit of experience and talent but he would be insuring that someone essential wouldn't go out and further aggravate an injury that might keep them out for a much longer time. It would have some really nice upside if that situation were to occur. I think Stewie and MoJeff and others wouldn't mind (in the team interest) if they lost a couple of minutes which could inevitably distributed to other talented teammates that would keep starters fresh and give some of the others valuable floor time. Maybe in the tournament you would find the starters bringing in more minutes but I think at least throughout the regular season the amount of minutes is easily manageable.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This is silly. You've got a player in Durr who is ranked 1 or 2 in the polls and said to have the talent of DT and your thinking we should pass on her. It has also been said she is pro UConn and UConn wants her. So why all the questions. Get her verbal and worry about everything after that. Listen if we can get Durr we need to sign her when shes ready. She would be a huge asset. What is all this nonsense about. This is a no brainier.
Agree 100% Tony.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Buzzyboy,

We'll see. I find it unlikely that Geno will restrict an all-time great like Stewart to 25 minutes as a senior. Or even Jefferson for that matter. He certainly didn't this past season, and depth really isn't a reason. The team had an average MOV of 35. He definitely could've sat those two more but he likes them on the court.

Your reassessment of my scenarios makes for 19 more minutes, but that's w/out Tuck and Williams and w/ Boykin getting just 7. If everyone's healthy it'll be interesting.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I remember reading a quote from Geno (before any verbals) when asked about 2015 recruitment prospects and he thought UConn had a good chance to get 4 or 5. That was also before Butler transferred. Can't find the article though.

Yeah, I looked for it too. He said something to the effect that "wouldn't it be nice to come back to Storrs and find that the top four (five?) prospects had committed to UConn?" I got the feeling when I first read it that he had already gotten private verbals from both KLS and AD, as well as a couple of others. I thought at the time maybe Brown was one of them, but both Collier and Boykin would easily fit that description.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
It was at the Middlesex Chamber breakfast. He said he thought UConn had a really good shot at 5 of the top ranked players.

Reaction Score

Stew-30
MoJeff-30
KLS-22
Collier-18
Nurse-20
Ekmark-18
Chong-18
Edwards-10

I'm discounting 2015-2016 season. Extremely doubtful there will be any issues that year. But here is what can be if I were to put Butler over Boykin. The following year-- 60 minutes open up.

Stewie - 30
Mo Jeff - 30
Butler/KLS/ Collier -- 70 (In your scenario I can keep at 67 and give three more to Boykin)
Boykin-- 12
Nurse - 25
Ekmark/Chong -- 25 (one of them will emerge gettign 15 the other gets 10)
Edwards - 8

If KLS and NC are impact as you say and you want to give them more- you can knock off minutes for any other players except Stewie and Mo Jeff. There are eight minutes at sf I gave to any combo between Nurse and Ekmark. If you knockoff their minutes you can limit Boykin, Butler or Edwards too in order to give more to the impact players you mentioned.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This projection of minutes played is not as complicated as some make it out to be. Here's how it works.

Geno will play five players at a time for 40 minutes of every single game (and a few more for OT games). His choice. Winning games and championships has priority over player contentment. All the players know this.

So he will play the players he chooses to play that will win games and championships.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'm discounting 2015-2016 season. Extremely doubtful there will be any issues that year. But here is what can be if I were to put Butler over Boykin. The following year-- 60 minutes open up.

Stewie - 30
Mo Jeff - 30
Butler/KLS/ Collier -- 70 (In your scenario I can keep at 67 and give three more to Boykin)
Boykin-- 12
Nurse - 25
Ekmark/Chong -- 25 (one of them will emerge gettign 15 the other gets 10)
Edwards - 8

If KLS and NC are impact as you say and you want to give them more- you can knock off minutes for any other players except Stewie and Mo Jeff. There are eight minutes at sf I gave to any combo between Nurse and Ekmark. If you knockoff their minutes you can limit Boykin, Butler or Edwards too in order to give more to the impact players you mentioned.

The '15-'16 year is when there WILL be issues. Your outline looks similar to mine except with fewer minutes for Chong, but that's an example of what I'm talking about. You CAN jam them in there if you: A) remove Tuck and Williams from the roster, B) give players like Chong and Edwards 10 minutes a piece.

[mod edit; transfer talk; two strikes]

Geno will play five players at a time for 40 minutes of every single game (and a few more for OT games). His choice. Winning games and championships has priority over player contentment. All the players know this.

The players may realize winning comes first but they also come to UConn to play, not sit for 80% of the game. This many good players means some will sit. Sure, it won't be a problem for Geno. He'll pick his favorites and they'll play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Lol.....meyers was handling himself well but no one can get the point across quite like you Tony! :)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I keep getting this recurring image in my head.... I can't shake it...

Lock-icon.png

Reaction Score
Natalie is a 5, just like Stef. Morgan Tuck, who you don't even list, would be her backup. The others aren't strong enough to handle bigger post players, so now you have even fewer minutes. Katie will be playing the 2 and 3, which means she won't be getting Natalie's minutes, Morgan will as the backup, unless of course the starting lineup is: Stewie, MoJeff, Morgan, Katie and take your pick of Chong, Ekmark, Nurse, Edwards, or Williams. If you want a truly big lineup, insert one of the forwards, always a possibility.

Reaction Score
There is a significant possibility of someone pulling up lame or breaking down in some other manner when they're subjected to the amount of minutes that a 6 person roster imposes. I don't like the odds that someone wouldn't get hurt! Sure, it managed to work out last year though I'm sure we experienced a lot more stress than we would have liked, particularly in the games in Nebraska but we did get a national championship, right? What you're suggesting is a version of Russian roulette where you turn a gun on yourself, pull the trigger and you managed to survive so NO PROBLEM. To me that's a big problem because a great season can be (and has been) lost due to injries. Remember losing Svet and Shea, getting beat by a Notre Dame team that UConn would have handled easily without their losses. Maybe you wouldn't mind UConn just using six scholarships all the time because it would save the University some money so why not do it, right? Everyone's always looking for ways to cut expenses, right? Geno has gone through the years playing without using his 15 potential scholarships because he thought it was silly to waste it on players that might not be up to the task of giving beneficial minutes when needed. It appears that he now has the opportunity to have a lineup that can provide quality minutes from top to bottom and since he's been burnt by some season ending injuries in the past, he's decided to bring in more kids. More power to him.

UConn does not have a 6 person roster... I don't think they have ever had just a 6 person roster... and I don't understand where you think I suggested that they should have one. I was responding to the idea that Geno is "doing it wrong" by not bring in more players then he has. I don't see how anyone can complain about recruiting when UConn just won back to back Championships, is on a 46 game win streak, and is the favorite again going into next season. I think the hall of fame coach with 9 championships kinda has this thing figured out...

As to your Svet and Shea comment... of course losing two of your best players is going to keep the team from winning a championship. You can't recruit around that. Take two of the best players from any championship team and it is unlikely they win. Rebecca and Jen, Sue and Diana, Tina and Maya... Geno is not going to just have another player of their caliper sitting on the bench ready to come in.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Buzzyboy,

We'll see. I find it unlikely that Geno will restrict an all-time great like Stewart to 25 minutes as a senior. Or even Jefferson for that matter. He certainly didn't this past season, and depth really isn't a reason. The team had an average MOV of 35. He definitely could've sat those two more but he likes them on the court.
Actually you're wrong again. (IF I'm reading this correct and you meant this past season depth wasn't a reason.)

This last season, depth absolutely was an issue. We had one of the shortest rosters ever (well at least since say '95). We had 8 scholarship players for most of the season. And for parts only 7.

Next year we are only at 10 (with Butler r/s) and Tuck and Williams coming off injuries. Could be caught a little short there too. And we are integrating 4 freshmen. Luckily we have 2-3 AA's to compensate for this. :D

SOOOOO, having 12-13 scholarship players in '15-'16 (before any injuries) would actually be a good thing. Actually something we should strive for.

Gotta keep this thread going. :cool:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not sure about locking the thread - in fact I see no reason to. Lots of differing opinions, no one being overly nasty or getting personal in disagreeing with others, and the world's longest and most viewed thread, so why not?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom