From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD | Page 6 | The Boneyard

From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
(not so) Breaking news: Waylon is up the creek.
I've been here for years and never bother asking. Why is Nelson refered to as Waylon? What/who's Waylon?

Thanks

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I've been here for years and never bother asking. Why is Nelson refered to as Waylon? What/who's Waylon?

Thanks

I joined very recently, but my guess is that it's a handle from one of the old incarnations of the BY. Someone else here (I forget who at the moment) is referred to as Frank Ivy even though that isn't who they are here.

Reaction Score
The thing I like about Warde is that he's a football guy with contacts and insight in the game. A Pasqualoni/Kragthorpe/Hoke experience can practically kill you. You need ADs who know how to hire football coaches who will work, instead of relying on some consultant with a rolodex.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Breaking news!!!!!

Warde just tweeted that he's headed to the virgin islands!!!!!!

:D
Come on, Administrators. Isn't there a way you can add an "A**hole" line to the Likes and Replys???

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I joined very recently, but my guess is that it's a handle from one of the old incarnations of the BY. Someone else here (I forget who at the moment) is referred to as Frank Ivy even though that isn't who they are here.
Yep. The board moved from courant.com to r -i - v - a - l - s to s -c - o- u t to this location. And I think there was a spot before courant? I found out about the board from the courant message board. It's been a long time.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If you think Warde has done a great job as AD, then remind me to never hire you.
Good managers understand that sometimes there are constraints on employees that will affect their evaluation. Great managers figure out how to remove those constraints. Bad managers pretend the constraints aren't there.

Reaction Score
I thought Freescooter would be here saying Warde is a bad AD here and will be a bad AD at Michigan. Amazingly enough Waylonsmithers beat him to it. Yeesh.....

Yes, all the advisors and big donor alumni told the president to find some dufus to fill the AD spot at one of the most prestigious sports and academic institutions in the country.

Pnow15 is looking pretty good right now. :rolleyes:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yep. The board moved from courant.com to r -i - v - a - l - s to s -c - o- u t to this location. And I think there was a spot before courant? I found out about the board from the courant message board. It's been a long time.

I think it went from Courant to an Indy of some sort to r-i-v. The Indy site is when I came aboard.

Reaction Score
So if Big Warde Manual leaves, how do you guys feel about Tim Pernetti?

I have more good to say about Warde than bad. He definitely has something of a legacy here.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Good managers understand that sometimes there are constraints on employees that will affect their evaluation. Great managers figure out how to remove those constraints. Bad managers pretend the constraints aren't there.

I can live with the Diaco decision. Hiring coaches is an inexact science. There is really no excuse for the other two fumbles. And we are on page 5 of the thread and I haven't seen a Manuel accomplishment. Most AD's don't make one mistake like the ones I listed. Warde has 3. There should be a lot of easily defined good stuff to offset the mistakes. What is it?

Reaction Score
I can live with the Diaco decision. Hiring coaches is an inexact science. There is really no excuse for the other two fumbles. And we are on page 5 of the thread and I haven't seen a Manuel accomplishment. Most AD's don't make one mistake like the ones I listed. Warde has 3. There should be a lot of easily defined good stuff to offset the mistakes. What is it?

Warde hired Kevin Ollie and I thought he handled it well. KO was an unproven and Warde gave him a small contract laced with good incentives. He also locked him up after the NC. Overall, I think Warde has done okay. Definitely a few positives and a few negatives.

Reaction Score
The Ollie issue is understandable. JC manipulated that situation not really giving Warde much of an option. Ya think a new AD wants an important hire pushed down his throat.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Thanks

Before he was nelsonmuntz he was Waylon Smithers.

At one point Spackler was yankee conference ghost.

ZooCougar was WiscHusky

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well you are going to come up with excuses for why these don't count, but:
  • Got fundraising back on track
  • Despite the whining of people who stamp their feet when they don't get their juice box RIGHT NOW, the Ollie contract situation was handled perfectly
  • Shovels in the ground and completion of basketball practice facility
  • Hockey East upgrade
  • Hiring Cavanaugh (really curious to see what excuse you come up with for this one)
  • Academics / APR back up to standards
  • Revenue boost from dynamic seat pricing / EasySeat
  • Improved social media presence for all athletics
  • Tony Rizza donation to soccer stadium upgrade
  • 3 WBB, 2 FH, 1 MBB championship under his tenure
But yeah, none of those things count. Boy, the University of Michigan are a bunch of suckers.

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Lol... As Nelson himself is prone to say - Scoreboard. Not to mention the three scores in his side of the ledger exist only in his mind.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Until you work for a state and the roadblocks become mountains. It will take a great manager and have them run for the hills.

Reaction Score
hardcorehusky said:
Until you work for a state and the roadblocks become mountains. It will take a great manager and have them run for the hills.

They also hire social studies teachers to run the DMV so there is that.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Before he was nelsonmuntz he was Waylon Smithers.

At one point Spackler was yankee conference ghost.

ZooCougar was WiscHusky
Is Spackler also Frank Ivy, or is Taste of UConn = Frank Ivy? Similar posting styles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom