From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD | Page 11 | The Boneyard

From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we really have a shot at the B12, my #1 choice is Luck, if they can get him. It would be the best way to change the perception that UConn football is small-time, and it would allay fears that the B12 football schools have about UConn not being a "cultural fit." Luck is a guy who understands southern football culture, and he guided WVU from the Big East into the B12 already, so he has the road map.

If the B1G is still a realistic goal, my #1 pick is Frazier, for the reasons already cited.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Just saw this but nothing reported elsewhere yet. Not shocked. Congrats to him!

Reaction Score
You believe that, I dont. Jurich sold his president on how crucial that ACC invite was, not the other way around. Athletic directors and their connections matter. Pernetti gets the credit for RU, but most of the heavy lifting there was done by his predecessor Bob Mulcahy. Pernetti just had to pick up the phone when the call came in.

Do you really think a University President needed to be sold on the ACC versus AAC? You can definitiely argue how crucial Jurich was to the process, but this point makes no sense.

Sad to see Ward go. I think he did a great job.

Reaction Score
Do you really think a University President needed to be sold on the ACC versus AAC? You can definitiely argue how crucial Jurich was to the process, but this point makes no sense.

Sad to see Ward go. I think he did a great job.

I think you're overestimating how much many school presidents knew about the differences about P5 and G5 at the time.

Sue Herbst herself was quoted as saying something along the lines of stopping to think whether "loading up student athletes and putting them on a bus to Iowa is in their best interest" when there was talk of a merger between the Big East and Big Twelve remnants when it looked like Texas and Oklahoma were going PAC 12.

You think Sue Herbst makes that statement today? Overall I don't think the overwhelming majority of the school presidents understand much about the busines of college athletics. If many had their way they'd axe football programs like the guy down at UAB.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think you're overestimating how much many school presidents knew about the differences about P5 and G5 at the time.

Sue Herbst herself was quoted as saying something along the lines of stopping to think whether "loading up student athletes and putting them on a bus to Iowa is in their best interest" when there was talk of a merger between the Big East and Big Twelve remnants when it looked like Texas and Oklahoma were going PAC 12.

You think Sue Herbst makes that statement today? Overall I don't think the overwhelming majority of the school presidents understand much about the busines of college athletics. If many had their way they'd axe football programs like the guy down at UAB.

If they are not pulling in an 8 digit media contract, I expect most presidents will axe their football programs.

Reaction Score
If they are not pulling in an 8 digit media contract, I expect most presidents will axe their football programs.
I don't. They still sell tickets, and use games as fundraisers to entertain donors. There are still upgrading from FCS to FBS today, they know they aren't getting 8 digit media contracts.

Reaction Score

In the Big Ten you can afford to fly :)

But seriously... When Mizzou was thinking about leaving the Big 12 their board was tracking flights in great detail. They thought they were on to something big, only for someone to match up their Olympic sports events with the flight of the small jet.

Turns out, the Big 12 chartered the jet to fly a couple teams from different schools back and forth over the course of the day. In other words, most of there athletes were flying, and thus distance was/is not as big of a deal.

More important is the number of time zones crossed when flying West to East. Those late nights can get much later based on the start time of the event.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score

Agree to disagree. When it was between Louisville and UConn everyone knew how important getting into the ACC was. Herbst was quoted as saying the day we found it was Louisville to the ACC that it was a "tough moment" in a "difficult day." She knew, just like everyone else, how much money was on the line and the importance to the school as did the Louisville President.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't. They still sell tickets, and use games as fundraisers to entertain donors. There are still upgrading from FCS to FBS today, they know they aren't getting 8 digit media contracts.

Fair point. If you want to be a Sun Belt-type program, recruit locally, hire bargain basement coaching staffs, and sell your schedule to SEC and Big 10 schools, you may be able to minimize losses on being an FBS program to the point where it is viable.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Doing some twitter sleuthing at lunch and saw Sean T. Frazier "liked" the tweet from Blauds about Warde leaving. Frazier is the AD at NIU and has been rumored to be a candidate to replace Warde.

Reaction Score
Facts can easily come across inaccurate in print. I don't know but I doubt he would have chosen Ollie had not Calhoun and the entire population of CT wanted Ollie.

"Manuel immediately had to decide on a successor and chose inexperienced former Connecticut star Kevin Ollie. He led UConn to the national title in just his second year."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...e-manuel-michigan-athletic-director/79307060/

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Doing some twitter stalking at lunch and saw Sean T. Frazier "liked" the tweet from Blauds about Warde leaving. Frazier is the AD at NIU and has been rumored to be a candidate to replace Warde.
fify :D

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree. When it was between Louisville and UConn everyone knew how important getting into the ACC was. Herbst was quoted as saying the day we found it was Louisville to the ACC that it was a "tough moment" in a "difficult day." She knew, just like everyone else, how much money was on the line and the importance to the school as did the Louisville President.
Again, that was after everyone knew the Big East had lost "BCS" status. If you ask Herbs today what she thinks about shuttling student athletes on a bus to Ames Iowa for games against Iowa State, she'd probably tell you she is driving the bus.

At the time she made her comment all of us on the boneyard thought it was cringe worthy since it was said in the context of staying in a more regional, local conference. Instead were shuttling off student athletes to Tulsa and Dallas and not to Ames, that alone tells me she didn't see how effed UConn was going to end up.

Reaction Score
Just trying to read the tea leaves on opinions:

If we choose someone with B!G ties it means: i) we've been told we're the next program in to the B1G!; ii) we've been told we have no shot at the Big 12 so we're just hoping to improve our chances to get into the B1G; iii) we're doomed! iv) it was just the best available person; or v) nobody but the B!G and Susan knows.

If we choose someone with ACC ties it means: See above and replace B1G with ACC.

If we choose someone with Big 12 ties it means: i) we're putting all of our eggs in that basket; ii) we're trying to make the B1G and ACC think we're going to the Big 12 so they'll jump on us; iii) we're doomed! iv) it was just the best available person; or v) nobody but the Big 12 and Susan knows.

If we hire someone with no P5 ties (not including Jeff Hathaway) it means: i) we're doomed! ii) it was just the best available person; or iii) nobody but Susan knows.

If we hire Jeff Hathaway: i) we're doomed!

I'm going with the last option for each since anything else makes my head spin.

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter what implied promises have been made until the ink is dry. It seems crazy but it reminds me of waiting for someone to make a move at a 4-way stop sign. It's a staring contest between deep-thinkers until everybody hits the gas simultaneously.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Anyone who has noticed the improvement in fan experience at the Rent should thank Warde. Same goes for Hockey, BB and the improved fan media outreach.

Not to mention the better schedules for all (Non-AAC, of course).

As for CR, people besides the ACC are actually talking about UConn. That wasn't the case earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom