From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD | Page 12 | The Boneyard

From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't blame Warde for leaving us to go to Michigan. It is his alma mater and a great job. That being said, this guy Frazier sounds like the kind of AD we need right now. Anyone who has a good lifeline to Delaney sounds good right now.

Reaction Score
If we really have a shot at the B12, my #1 choice is Luck, if they can get him. It would be the best way to change the perception that UConn football is small-time, and it would allay fears that the B12 football schools have about UConn not being a "cultural fit." Luck is a guy who understands southern football culture, and he guided WVU from the Big East into the B12 already, so he has the road map.

If the B1G is still a realistic goal, my #1 pick is Frazier, for the reasons already cited.

No to Luck. Wasn't he the AD at WV who wanted the BE to go on the open market with their next TV contract and turn down the ESPN . We all know how that turned out. Also I believe he did something sneaky during CR but I can't recall what it was. Maybe someone else can remember what that was.

Reaction Score
No to Luck. Wasn't he the AD at WV who wanted the BE to go on the open market with their next TV contract and turn down the ESPN . We all know how that turned out. Also I believe he did something sneaky during CR but I can't recall what it was. Maybe someone else can remember what that was.
That was the AD at Pitt, if memory serves correct.

Reaction Score

We could use a good sneak about now but that may rule him out as our sneak.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I like Frazier and Pernetti. Big edge to Frazier though.

From what I've read, I can get on board with either. Both have their pluses and minuses (Scapegoat or not, Pernetti has scandal in his past. Frazier is no spring chicken and has a small school background), so I'm curious who the search firm turns up as well.

Also, interested to see how this is spun tonight by the talking heads during the basketball game.

Reaction Score
Well, Pernetti did just step down from the role football rec coordinator in his hometown...

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs:

Herbst used a search firm in hiring Manuel. On Wednesday, she confirmed Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese has a contract with UConn to serve as what she said is "an adviser on all matters athletic." We already knew he was consulting on Power Five movement. It will be interesting to see what role Tranghese plays in the selection of the AD. Former BC athletic director Gene DeFilippo, now Turnkey Search senior executive director, led the search for Michigan that led to Manuel's hiring.

Former Boston Globe reporter Mark Blaudschun, who operates A Jersey Guy blog, was first to report Manuel's interview last week and Michigan's decision to offer the job. He has long-standing relationships with the DeFilippo and Tranghese camps. So until proven otherwise and those in power in Storrs will offer something substantial, I would quote Blaud as gospel. He's in the room.

His list of prime candidates: Army athletic director Boo Corrigan, Northern Illinois athletic director Sean T. Frazier, former Big East associate commissioner Nick Caparelli and Kansas associate athletic director Sean Lester. He also included former Rutgers athletic director Tim Pernetti and former West Virginia AD Oliver Luck.

"If I were sitting in the seat of power now occupied by UConn President Susan Herbst and Chief of Staff Rachel Rubin," Blaudschun wrote, "I would make Rubin the interim athletic director while using Tranghese, who has the experience and the ability to point UConn in the right direction."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-warde-manuel-jacobs-column-0128-20160128-column.html

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Tranghese will likely serve as our Interim AD. That would be a power move by Herbst for sure.

Anyone else notice whose search firm connected Warde to Michgan? Not that they couldn't have connected otherwise, but funny that he still manages to kick UConn whenever he can. I would love to know the behind the scenes discussions that took place between Flipper/Bates/BC/Warde/UConn/Michigan.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Tranghese will likely serve as our Interim AD. That would be a power move by Herbst for sure.

Anyone else notice whose search firm connected Warde to Michgan? Not that they couldn't have connected otherwise, but funny that he still manages to kick UConn whenever he can. I would love to know the behind the scenes discussions that took place between Flipper/Bates/BC/Warde/UConn/Michigan.
I don't think anything too bad can come of UConn's athletic director going to thee player in a conference to which UConn seeks inclusion. Manuel was not forced out, and there shouldn't be any bad blood. So while there is a bit of irony, it's not as much as if Michigan becomes UConn's biggest champion for a Big Ten invite, thereby putting DeFilippo's nemesis institution in a much better and stable position than his former employer.

Reaction Score

IMHO the BC faithful would have helped Bates pack the moving truck to Michigan.

Reaction Score
That was the AD at Pitt, if memory serves correct.

Right-WVU was not really in that mix. Recall it was actually a panel led by Former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, a G'town grad, that recommended the BE turn down a billion dollar offer as it was worth more on the open market. Such a suggestion at that time was ludacris..If memory serves within 6-9 months ND announced it was leaving and Pitt and Cuse were gone, (and if I recall that panel was led by Pitt's president who was negotiating with the ACC behind everyone's back at that time) then the catholics were looking to split. I believe there are threads about this going back to 2011 (god I have been obsessed with this stuff for too long)

Reaction Score
Lester would be a safe pick because he'd definitely take the job. A local boy, from Mansfield, and he's an alum, AND he's the #2 in one of the key athletic departments in the Big XII.

Reaction Score
Lester would be a safe pick because he'd definitely take the job. A local boy, from Mansfield, and he's an alum, AND he's the #2 in one of the key athletic departments in the Big XII.
It would also be the return to the good Old boy network of Perkins and Hathaway...I'm sure those left in the Athletic Dept that were called on their lack of work by Warde are chomping the bit for their old boy Sean to come back to their rescue! He's been the #2 at KU for a LONG time...too long....he was passed over for the job when Perkins moved on and honestly; I'm surprised he even kept his job after the ticket scandal there that put Ben Kirtland in prison. He is in charge of a pretty pathetic football program there as well. Thanks but no thanks..I'll pass on a return to the past. He seems to be a better #2...just like our buddy Hathaway! Lester would be Hathaway 2.0!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs:

Herbst used a search firm in hiring Manuel. On Wednesday, she confirmed Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese has a contract with UConn to serve as what she said is "an adviser on all matters athletic." We already knew he was consulting on Power Five movement. It will be interesting to see what role Tranghese plays in the selection of the AD. Former BC athletic director Gene DeFilippo, now Turnkey Search senior executive director, led the search for Michigan that led to Manuel's hiring.

Former Boston Globe reporter Mark Blaudschun, who operates A Jersey Guy blog, was first to report Manuel's interview last week and Michigan's decision to offer the job. He has long-standing relationships with the DeFilippo and Tranghese camps. So until proven otherwise and those in power in Storrs will offer something substantial, I would quote Blaud as gospel. He's in the room.

His list of prime candidates: Army athletic director Boo Corrigan, Northern Illinois athletic director Sean T. Frazier, former Big East associate commissioner Nick Caparelli and Kansas associate athletic director Sean Lester. He also included former Rutgers athletic director Tim Pernetti and former West Virginia AD Oliver Luck.

"If I were sitting in the seat of power now occupied by UConn President Susan Herbst and Chief of Staff Rachel Rubin," Blaudschun wrote, "I would make Rubin the interim athletic director while using Tranghese, who has the experience and the ability to point UConn in the right direction."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-warde-manuel-jacobs-column-0128-20160128-column.html
Rubin, as far as I know, has spent her career as an attorney being appointed to various state agencies and commissions, and has zero experience with anything like an athletic department. I would rather have Pendergast come back to hold down the fort. I can't see Luck being interested in the job. And I'm afraid of anyone who is too connected to Tranghese.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Right-WVU was not really in that mix. Recall it was actually a panel led by Former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, a G'town grad, that recommended the BE turn down a billion dollar offer as it was worth more on the open market. Such a suggestion at that time was ludacris..If memory serves within 6-9 months ND announced it was leaving and Pitt and Cuse were gone, (and if I recall that panel was led by Pitt's president who was negotiating with the ACC behind everyone's back at that time) then the catholics were looking to split. I believe there are threads about this going back to 2011 (god I have been obsessed with this stuff for too long)
Wasn't there also a lot of fighting about the Catholic schools wanting an equal share even though it was a football/basketball contract?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Have the actual dates been announced? Last day at UConn / first at Michigan? I'd figure it would transition quickly but was just curious.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know, I'm going to miss that big donut eating lug.

Oh, well...on to obsessing about the search for the new AD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom