From an Outsider: UConn 2016-2017 Analysis | Page 3 | The Boneyard

From an Outsider: UConn 2016-2017 Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow - this is so way out of line - There is absolutely no way they don't get into the NCAA tournament and are relegated to the WNIT! :eek::rolleyes::cool:

Boy - talk about a Debbie Downer!!!:D
One of us read it incorrectly---I took the posting to say Uconn will lose 3 games next year but will make it into the last game they play (the championship). I agree with that statement almost. I think they'll make it to the Final 4--with hope they win the NC but at this time without seeing the team--I'm a bit of a coward (actually a big coward) so I'll hedge my bet on only the Final 4.

What did I miss?? When was the last time Uconn WBB was in the WNIT?? That will only happen again 15 years after Geno retires..

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One of us read it incorrectly---I took the posting to say Uconn will lose 3 games next year but will make it into the last game they play (the championship). I agree with that statement almost. I think they'll make it to the Final 4--with hope they win the NC but at this time without seeing the team--I'm a bit of a coward (actually a big coward) so I'll hedge my bet on only the Final 4.

What did I miss?? When was the last time Uconn WBB was in the WNIT?? That will only happen again 15 years after Geno retires..
I was making a joke based on the idea that the poster was confident of the last game being a win which happens for only two D1 teams - the NC and the WNIT champion - and assuming he was not predicting an NC.

Reaction Score
I think Cam is a lawyer with several servers as clients. :D

Other Duke grads serve food. Cam serves subpoenas.
Actually they not served---they must be take out because--they are delivered, by a Sheriff (in Ct)
I know the process--bit of a play on Duke/Food/served/delivered!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

How does one read incorrectly, like right to left?

Reaction Score
I was making a joke based on the idea that the poster was confident of the last game being a win which happens for only two D1 teams - the NC and the WNIT champion - and assuming he was not predicting an NC.
A phrase Geno hates---MY BAD!! I'm dense over some thing---just ask my wife!! Apology offered.
If you don't reply using the alphabet as code---YOU S.O.B-- there will be no need to reply, I shall assume you accepted my apology.

Reaction Score
Worse than a waiter - he's a lawyer. Not in San Diego, though.
Did you know you can't be an Attorney/Lawyer if you don't go to
Harvard?? There is a TV show all about that---a guy lies about going to Harvard--and the government is after him, the NY DA is after him, his co-attornerys hate him--all because he lied about Harvard and can't be an attorney--the things you wouldn't learn if not for TV. Apparently it is not about passing the Bar exam anymore!!
Poor Abe Lincoln--wasn't a real Attorney, he never went to college!!
If the Suit don't fit you must quit--at least on Suits.

Reaction Score
He can swim with immunity along the California coast---attorneys (lawyers, yuk) have a brotherhood agreement with the SHARKS!!!
But the sharks have a certain angxt about the brotherhood arrangement, since they don't eat their young...

Reaction Score
I am one and done---after this post you will see no more predictions on next season from me until October.
Another poster put it quite aptly: our OOC schedule in the first six weeks of the season is a "murders row". Thus I see us losing 4 games before the end of Dec. Thereafter we will lose 1 or 2 more games to good teams and somewhere along the road we will lose 1 or 2 to teams we should beat handily. Thus we will go into the tourney with 6 to 8 loses and, Charlie's prediction notwithstanding, we will not be a #1 seed.
Having said that I believe that because of the brand of bb we play our players and team will improve greatly over the course of the season. (So will every other team but not as much as we will.) By March we will be dance-ready. I don't know how far we will go in the tourney but I do know that on bracket day those coaches that wake up and find UCONN in their region will have serious heartburn.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I think a part of Strother's problem was she was simply a victim of the expectations game. Maybe she was more explosive before her HS ACL injury, but I believe she was ranked #1 over Simone Augustus, when it was obvious from Day 1 that Augustus was the better player.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Can't help but point out that in both years the WCBB landscape was heavily shaped by a transcendent players (Parker & Griner) not wearing UCONN uniforms. The current WCBB landscape has no such player and in Geno's estimation it will not have such a player for a while.

Parker redshirted during the entire 2005 season. Augustus was the best in 2005, but she wasn't the dominating force that Parker/Griner/Moore/Stewart were.

From my vantage point, the really standout players over the last 20 years are Holdsclaw, Taurasi, Parker, Moore, Griner and Stewart. All 6 have been talked about as being the best of all time in some capacity, but there doesn't appear to be anyone waiting in the wings to take over that role as the premier player in WBB. The only years since 1996 where there wasn't an "it" player or where that player didn't garner a POY award are 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, and 2006. 5 of those 6 years make up some of the most unpredictable seasons we've had in WCBB since UCONN won its first title 21 years ago. This (hopefully) means that next season should be an extremely competitive year, and for the next few seasons, we are less likely to see incredibly dominant teams rule WCBB.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I think a part of Strother's problem was she was simply a victim of the expectations game. Maybe she was more explosive before her HS ACL injury, but I believe she was ranked #1 over Simone Augustus, when it was obvious from Day 1 that Augustus was the better player.

Strother struggled in the spotlight but I'd look for KLS to be more in the mold of KML than Strother. KLS will have a better supporting cast, better guard play and more offensive threats than Strother had to work with in 2005 and 2006. She also appears to have ice in her veins compared to Strother. That said, Strother had a huge play against UT in the game her freshman season and had a monster game in the championship, so signs were pointing to her being the next big stud for UCONN but she didn't do as well as the centerpiece of the program, so it remains to be seen as to how KLS pans out.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
IIRC, just about everyone blew it on evaluating Seimone Augustus the high schooler. I remember a quote by Geno, who was talking to then-Tennessee assistant Holly Warlick, that Holly and Chris Dailey should be fired for not recruiting Augustus. I don't think she was ranked all that highly coming out of high school, either.

One edit: meyers is correct - that story was about Alana Beard. Sorry for the error. If I didn't have a bad memory I'd have no memory at all!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with the analysis here, and the OP was excellent. My hopes rest on the Alpha dog issue, and I'm optimistic because in the last four years, I only saw one player come onto the floor and dominate a Stewie/Moriah team singlehandedly, and it was Kia.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You are extremely patient and kind.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
IIRC, just about everyone blew it on evaluating Seimone Augustus the high schooler. I remember a quote by Geno, who was talking to then-Tennessee assistant Holly Warlick, that Holly and Chris Dailey should be fired for not recruiting Augustus. I don't think she was ranked all that highly coming out of high school, either.
Don't think that story was about Augustus. IIRC that story was about Alana Beard.

Augustus was a WBCA AA and was ranked #2 by Bluestar.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Don't think that story was about Augustus. IIRC that story was about Alana Beard.

Augustus was a WBCA AA and was ranked #2 by Bluestar.
Ooops, my mistake.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Meyers - was going to mention Alana Beard and also that DT was not perceived as the next great player either coming out of HS or for most of her college career - Beard won a number of accolades in college over DT and had a spectacular career. If DT's supporting cast had not been as good and they had not strung together the three NCs, or if Beard and or Simone had been a bit better supported and coached, who knows how we would look at that 5 year window of WCBB.
Strother struggled in the spotlight but I'd look for KLS to be more in the mold of KML than Strother. KLS will have a better supporting cast, better guard play and more offensive threats than Strother had to work with in 2005 and 2006. She also appears to have ice in her veins compared to Strother. That said, Strother had a huge play against UT in the game her freshman season and had a monster game in the championship, so signs were pointing to her being the next big stud for UCONN but she didn't do as well as the centerpiece of the program, so it remains to be seen as to how KLS pans out.
KML had the advantage of Dolson and Hartley and Faris when she arrived and Morgan Moriah and Breanna arriving her sophomore season - she was able to play her role surrounded by AAs, NPOY and DPOY quality players her whole four years - something that Strother did not have. We will have to see how Lou's last three years shake out before we can evaluate her in those terms.

Reaction Score
I am one and done---after this post you will see no more predictions on next season from me until October.
Another poster put it quite aptly: our OOC schedule in the first six weeks of the season is a "murders row". Thus I see us losing 4 games before the end of Dec. Thereafter we will lose 1 or 2 more games to good teams and somewhere along the road we will lose 1 or 2 to teams we should beat handily. Thus we will go into the tourney with 6 to 8 loses and, Charlie's prediction notwithstanding, we will not be a #1 seed.
Having said that I believe that because of the brand of bb we play our players and team will improve greatly over the course of the season. (So will every other team but not as much as we will.) By March we will be dance-ready. I don't know how far we will go in the tourney but I do know that on bracket day those coaches that wake up and find UCONN in their region will have serious heartburn.
\
Hey--this far before we even see the 2016;17 team everything is speculation, opinion, hopes, beliefs--

The big question for this fall is; who steps up to be the big defensive center or will it be done by committee? Fire power is abundant on the UConn team of this year--and if all "speculation" about the new kids is correct then we will be a good to better maybe great offensive team.
Defense (not including the post) as usual will be among the best of any WCBB team.
So predict, speculate all your heart desires--the rest of us will all do our best to pick it apart--isn't that the OFF season fun??

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Meyers - was going to mention Alana Beard and also that DT was not perceived as the next great player either coming out of HS or for most of her college career - Beard won a number of accolades in college over DT and had a spectacular career. If DT's supporting cast had not been as good and they had not strung together the three NCs, or if Beard and or Simone had been a bit better supported and coached, who knows how we would look at that 5 year window of WCBB.

KML had the advantage of Dolson and Hartley and Faris when she arrived and Morgan Moriah and Breanna arriving her sophomore season - she was able to play her role surrounded by AAs, NPOY and DPOY quality players her whole four years - something that Strother did not have. We will have to see how Lou's last three years shake out before we can evaluate her in those terms.

Augustus is the one recruit I really really wish Tennessee had landed. IMO, she could have easily put Tennessee over the top in all 4 years (2003-2006) she was there. During those years, Tennessee struggled offensively and having the likes of Augustus to take over would have been immensely helpful.

Beard won the majority of POY awards in 2004, but Taurasi was more highly touted her last two seasons. Beard put up big numbers and could dominate, but most fans felt the key to winning the title was stopping Diana.

KML did have a much better supporting cast than Strother, but she was also a much better shooter and she played in a significantly better offensive system than Strother did her last two years. UCONN was solid but their offense was underwhelming compared to the level it's at today. If Strother came along in today's day and age, I still think KML projects to be the better player due to her skill set and ability as a passer, rebounder and shooter, but I think Strother would have a much better collegiate career than she showed her last two years at UCONN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom