Freshman of the Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Freshman of the Year

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I don't understand this opinion. Hidalgo has carried her team through a rash of injuries and she has a more complete defensive game than Juju. She has just as strong of an argument, if not stronger.
My opinion on this is while I agree Hidalgo has been amazing, and has lead her team, she hasn't lead them to any meaningful victories (yet). Their best victory of the year, according to the NET, is against Miami. Now, she has MANY opportunities coming up to deliver big time victories, and maybe she will. But thus far ND mostly has a resume of lots of "good" losses, and when compared to JuJu, who has lead her team to two huge victories over Ohio St and UCLA (and is 13-3 overall), to me that gives her a clear advantage.

Reaction Score
Thread sounds like the MLB MVP discussions some years. Is it thee single best player or the most valuable player on the best team? When it's a push as to the best player the player who is fortunate enough to play with better players and a better team seems to get the nod. Same for POY in most leagues.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Juju seems like an obvious favorite. And Hidalgo after her. They are dazzling to watch and their teams would struggle without them.

If the yardstick is who helps carry the team further — which may not be entirely fair — then gaudy stats may not loom quite so large, and Booker could seem like a good choice if Texas makes a final four appearance. Same could be said for Shade. Each is replacing an injured superstar which tends to underline their achievements. Fulwiley and Williams wouldn’t get the benefit of that circumstance since they’re ‘merely’ great players on solid teams.

I agree with Juju and Hidalgo. Huge positive impacts on their teams. Fulwiley is a fantastic talent but not enough minutes. Obviously I love our two Frosh but at UCONN the numbers are so spread out I doubt they will be seriously considered nationally.

Reaction Score
I mean I think it's JuJu Watkins, and not even that close (though Hidalgo might have something to say about that).

JuJu has basically made USC a Final Four contender overnight.

Hidalgo is fantastic, but she has more known quantities surrounding her (though many have been injured), and ND doesn't have a defining win on the season like USC does (in Ohio St and UCLA).

Madison Booker, especially since Rori's injury, has been an MVP for that team, but her stats just don't compare with JuJu.

Taliah Scott is having a fantastic season at Arkansas, and is probably the favorite (?) for SEC Freshman of the year just due to the load she carries--but I know she's missed several games recently which might hurt her (in addition to Arkansas being a mediocre team).

Mikayla Williams, Fulwiley, KK, Shade, and I'm sure I'm missing others, are all great--but they are not being asked to carry their teams like the above players [even if they are playing VERY valuable roles].
The only player I've ever seen carry a team in the Freshman Season was Catlin Clark. JuJu can possibly make that claim, but I don't know her supporting cast. Clark has been the leader since her freshman season til now.

Reaction Score
Imagine if Geno had along with Paige and current roster: Catlin Clark, Cameron Brink, & Kamilla Cardoso....

It would be the greatest women's basketball team of all-time.
Geno has the following players in 2000 - 2001 years. I will assume this is one of the best team.

G Ashley Valley 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m) Fr Rice Memorial Colchester, Vermont
G/F Diana Taurasi 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m) So Don Lugo Chino, California
G Maria Conlon 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m) So Seymour Derby, Connecticut
G Sue Bird (C) 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m) Sr Christ the King Syosset, New York
G Stacey Marron 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m) Fr La Cueva Albuquerque, New Mexico
F/C Asjha Jones 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m) Sr Piscataway Piscataway, New Jersey
G Morgan Valley 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m) So Rice Memorial Colchester, Vermont
F Ashley Battle 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m) RS Fr The Linsly School, WVA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
C Jessica Moore 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) RS Fr Colony Palmer, Alaska
F Swin Cash (C) 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m) Sr McKeesport McKeesport, Pennsylvania
F Tamika Williams 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m) Sr Chaminade-Julienne Dayton, Ohio

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It's likely a 2 woman race between Watkins/Hidalgo. Hidalgo has better overall numbers, Watkins has led her team to more team success thus far. Both are incredible and should make one of the AP All America teams. These 2 are putting up a Clark/Bueckers type of battle that we saw in 2020-21.

Players like Madison Booker, Mikaylah Williams and Taliah Scott would be strong favorites to win it in most other years. Booker in particular has been incredible as of late, leading Texas to many conference wins while carrying a huge load with Harmon out. You also have a slew of really good freshmen like Addy Brown, Audi Crooks, Stailee Heard, Ashlynn Shade, Milaysai Fulwiley (plus others) who deserve mention for their play this year.

Reaction Score
The surprise freshman of the year has to be Taliah Scott from Arky. She was not highly recruited as the others but boy has she made an impact on the Arky team. ESPN Gurlz Hoops rankings are always off. Alyiah Boston was the #3 player according to them, she was definitely #1 in her class. Ryhne Howard for UK was ranked I believe in the low 30's and she was a star from day #1 at UK.

Taliah Scott was definitely underrated by ESPN.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Geno has the following players in 2000 - 2001 years. I will assume this is one of the best team.

G Ashley Valley 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m) Fr Rice Memorial Colchester, Vermont
G/F Diana Taurasi 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m) So Don Lugo Chino, California
G Maria Conlon 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m) So Seymour Derby, Connecticut
G Sue Bird (C) 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m) Sr Christ the King Syosset, New York
G Stacey Marron 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m) Fr La Cueva Albuquerque, New Mexico
F/C Asjha Jones 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m) Sr Piscataway Piscataway, New Jersey
G Morgan Valley 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m) So Rice Memorial Colchester, Vermont
F Ashley Battle 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m) RS Fr The Linsly School, WVA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
C Jessica Moore 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) RS Fr Colony Palmer, Alaska
F Swin Cash (C) 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m) Sr McKeesport McKeesport, Pennsylvania
F Tamika Williams 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m) Sr Chaminade-Julienne Dayton, Ohio
I believe you have listed the 2001-02 team.

Reaction Score
I believe you have listed the 2001-02 team.
You are right..

1706143586585.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bold prediction: Tonight MK12 shows she’s the best freshman in this class.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
People are throwing around the term superstar and great all willy nilly. No shade towards Fudd or Harmon, but they aren't superstars in my opinion. Neither Fulwilly or Williams great players right now. Just a few pet peeves coming from a old and rapidly graying cranky citizen.
Wasn’t the question, though, freshman of the year. I think Shade is not the most talented freshman, but she has filled in for Azzi Fudd exceptionally well. Pretty impressive. I haven’t seen Watkins but it seems like she is the one mentioned most often. Lots of pretty talented frosh. Arnold has also been an impact player.

Reaction Score
I don’t even think she’ll be the best freshman in the game.
I can see a big game from the freshman you speak of. I believe she thrives in the type of environment she will be in tonight. Respectfully, I don't think there's anyone on the South Carolina roster that can stop Mikayla. We'll see here soon in the coming hours.

Reaction Score
I can see a big game from the freshman you speak of. I believe she thrives in the type of environment she will be in tonight. Respectfully, I don't think there's anyone on the South Carolina roster that can stop Mikayla. We'll see here soon in the coming hours.
She's a great player ready for a breakout game. But I think there's a lot of folks on SC who can stop her. And it will be even easier given the strength of Kamila Kitts Watkins and Feagins backing up the guards. This will allow the guards to take more chances on defense.

Reaction Score
She's a great player ready for a breakout game. But I think there's a lot of folks on SC who can stop her. And it will be even easier given the strength of Kamila Kitts Watkins and Feagins backing up the guards. This will allow the guards to take more chances on defense.
Elite guard skills in a pro body. Bree Hall is an outstanding defender, but I think the physicality of Williams gives her the advantage. Watkins has the physicality to defend, but does she have the defensive discipline to guard someone like Mikayla without fouling? This is going to be an really exciting game with some great matchups.

For what it's worth, when I see Mikayla Williams play her offensive ability reminds me of one player... who is arguably one of the best collegiate players ever. To not get crucified on this board I'll keep that name to myself for now. LOL

Reaction Score
We'll see. I've only watched one complete LSU game and parts of a handful of others.

Reaction Score
Elite guard skills in a pro body. Bree Hall is an outstanding defender, but I think the physicality of Williams gives her the advantage. Watkins has the physicality to defend, but does she have the defensive discipline to guard someone like Mikayla without fouling? This is going to be an really exciting game with some great matchups.

For what it's worth, when I see Mikayla Williams play her offensive ability reminds me of one player... who is arguably one of the best collegiate players ever. To not get crucified on this board I'll keep that name to myself for now. LOL
I've seen Williams play in a lot of different settings and she is very talented, and stronger than most of the guards she's faced. But you seem to be imagining that she'll be playing one-on-one in the SC game. That is highly unlikely. Dawn will much more likely play a switching-man defense. Hall is indeed an excellent defender, but she doesn't have to stop the drives by herself.

LSU hasn't faced a team like this yet, with such a strong front court and a strong backcourt. And it's worth observing that she was contained effectively enough by Auburn and Colorado, teams with not nearly the talent SC has.

Reaction Score
I've seen Williams play in a lot of different settings and she is very talented, and stronger than most of the guards she's faced. But you seem to be imagining that she'll be playing one-on-one in the SC game. That is highly unlikely. Dawn will much more likely play a switching-man defense. Hall is indeed an excellent defender, but she doesn't have to stop the drives by herself.

LSU hasn't faced a team like this yet, with such a strong front court and a strong backcourt. And it's worth observing that she was contained effectively enough by Auburn and Colorado, teams with not nearly the talent SC has.
I agree with your take on SC defensive scheme, one of the main reason I see her having a big game. She has the elevation to shoot over any smaller defenders and the quickness in her moves to get to her "spot" against bigs. Now will that be enough to prevail LSU to a win tonight? TBD... SC frontcourt is really dominant, LSU will have the home court advantage.

The game against Auburn she looked like a freshman plain and simple. In my opinion, she looked really good in her first collegiate game against Colorado. Exciting game coming up that it's going to be great for women's basketball!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom