Freshman of the Year | The Boneyard

Freshman of the Year

Reaction Score
Wow, so many really great freshmen players this year. For me, the freshman that standout the most is Madison Booker from Texas. Vic has called upon Madison to step in for Rory, a truly great PG, after the injury and she has delivered. This from a player who has never played that position even in high school. Certainly Texas will miss Rory but if they make the FF freshman Booker will be the key to Texas success.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Booker is very good. I haven’t seen Watkins. Shade for UConn is only stepping in Azzi Fudd’s shoes quite well.

Reaction Score
There is a bunch of real good frosh out there, but, as Geno said recently when referring to Paige, "I wouldn't trade her for anyone" - I believe the same holds true for Ashlynn and KK as well!
Even Catlin Clark?

Reaction Score
Imagine if Geno had along with Paige and current roster: Catlin Clark, Cameron Brink, & Kamilla Cardoso....

It would be the greatest women's basketball team of all-time.

Reaction Score
Imagine if Geno had along with Paige and current roster: Catlin Clark, Cameron Brink, & Kamilla Cardoso....

It would be the greatest women's basketball team of all-time.
I don't know I think some of the Stewie teams or the 2002 team might have something to say about that never mind looking at some of the great teams other programs have produced like some of Tennessee's teams.

Reaction Score
Has UCONN ever had a women's basketball player dunk in a game?
No.

Does it matter, though? It looks flashy and cool but a 2pt basket is a 2pt basket. It's not like there's any WBB player consistently slamming down an alley-oop like the men.

Reaction Score
Juju seems like an obvious favorite. And Hidalgo after her. They are dazzling to watch and their teams would struggle without them.

If the yardstick is who helps carry the team further — which may not be entirely fair — then gaudy stats may not loom quite so large, and Booker could seem like a good choice if Texas makes a final four appearance. Same could be said for Shade. Each is replacing an injured superstar which tends to underline their achievements. Fulwiley and Williams wouldn’t get the benefit of that circumstance since they’re ‘merely’ great players on solid teams.

Reaction Score
No.

Does it matter, though? It looks flashy and cool but a 2pt basket is a 2pt basket. It's not like there's any WBB player consistently slamming down an alley-oop like the men.
Nice list but it's dated...Ashlyn Watkins has 2 dunks already...One against Clemson and the other against UK.

Reaction Score
No.

Yes, it matters. It gets play on ESPN highlights. Any publicity your program gets on ESPN is good well unless it's not good...lol

Are you being snarky with me Maple? If you are I'll sic Cockhornleghorn on you!!!!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Yes, it matters. It gets play on ESPN highlights. Any publicity your program gets on ESPN is good well unless it's not good...lol

Are you being snarky with me Maple? If you are I'll sic Cockhornleghorn on you!!!!
Dunking is good if you want to be a SHOWOFF!

Reaction Score
Nice list but it's dated...Ashlyn Watkins has 2 dunks already...One against Clemson and the other against UK.
It was the only list I could find on my 30 second Google search.

Shrugs GIF

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Juju seems like an obvious favorite. And Hidalgo after her. They are dazzling to watch and their teams would struggle without them.

If the yardstick is who helps carry the team further — which may not be entirely fair — then gaudy stats may not loom quite so large, and Booker could seem like a good choice if Texas makes a final four appearance. Same could be said for Shade. Each is replacing an injured superstar which tends to underline their achievements. Fulwiley and Williams wouldn’t get the benefit of that circumstance since they’re ‘merely’ great players on solid teams.

People are throwing around the term superstar and great all willy nilly. No shade towards Fudd or Harmon, but they aren't superstars in my opinion. Neither Fulwilly or Williams great players right now. Just a few pet peeves coming from a old and rapidly graying cranky citizen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Booker Watkins Hidalgo M.Williams Shade
I think KK Arnold is worth being in the discussion as well. Shade's gaudy scoring numbers may be obscuring the impact that KK has on this team, but being a freshman point guard is tremendously difficult. KK presents in that role has changed our identity and helping with our vulnerability against speedy guards. She reminds me of former UConn point guard Taliek Brown in that she needs to learn that she doesn't have to go full speed all the time. John Wooden famously advised players to "be quick but don't hurry." Once KK learns to pick her spots and take her time finishing she becomes an even more potent weapon.

Reaction Score
No.

Dunks are a great testament to player athleticism. I cannot believe that only Griner has dunked more than 3 times in her college career. I bet Ashlynn Watkins can move into #2 all time spot pretty easily. There is a video out there with her hitting 11' with a running start and she already has two dunks in less than 2 seasons. She has also been in position to get a few tip ins / putbacks but they were unnecessary because the ball went in the hoop.

But back to the topic of freshmen, Fulwiley slapped the backboard while trying to get a block in our last game. She can touch the rim with her fingertips, which is absolutely bonkers for someone who is 5'10". I don't see her getting any freshman of the year awards but she'll make the freshman All-SEC team and maybe get a freshman All-American honorable mention. But it's still early, so things can change. I could see her gaining some momentum for SEC freshman of the year if she outplays Mikayla Williams in the LSU game.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I mean I think it's JuJu Watkins, and not even that close (though Hidalgo might have something to say about that).

JuJu has basically made USC a Final Four contender overnight.

Hidalgo is fantastic, but she has more known quantities surrounding her (though many have been injured), and ND doesn't have a defining win on the season like USC does (in Ohio St and UCLA).

Madison Booker, especially since Rori's injury, has been an MVP for that team, but her stats just don't compare with JuJu.

Taliah Scott is having a fantastic season at Arkansas, and is probably the favorite (?) for SEC Freshman of the year just due to the load she carries--but I know she's missed several games recently which might hurt her (in addition to Arkansas being a mediocre team).

Mikayla Williams, Fulwiley, KK, Shade, and I'm sure I'm missing others, are all great--but they are not being asked to carry their teams like the above players [even if they are playing VERY valuable roles].

Reaction Score
I mean I think it's JuJu Watkins, and not even that close (though Hidalgo might have something to say about that).

JuJu has basically made USC a Final Four contender overnight.

Hidalgo is fantastic, but she has more known quantities surrounding her (though many have been injured), and ND doesn't have a defining win on the season like USC does (in Ohio St and UCLA).

Madison Booker, especially since Rori's injury, has been an MVP for that team, but her stats just don't compare with JuJu.

Taliah Scott is having a fantastic season at Arkansas, and is probably the favorite (?) for SEC Freshman of the year just due to the load she carries--but I know she's missed several games recently which might hurt her (in addition to Arkansas being a mediocre team).

Mikayla Williams, Fulwiley, KK, Shade, and I'm sure I'm missing others, are all great--but they are not being asked to carry their teams like the above players [even if they are playing VERY valuable roles].
I don't understand this opinion. Hidalgo has carried her team through a rash of injuries and she has a more complete defensive game than Juju. She has just as strong of an argument, if not stronger.

Reaction Score
I don’t want to choose between Juju and Hidalgo. Hannah plays fiercer defense, but that’s how ND plays. USC does a lot of standing around on D, they’re more reactive than in your face. That’s how they’re coached. It’s not Juju’s fault. I’ll just wait to see how they handle the bumps in the road to come. The road for Juju in the Pac12 has been a little bumpier and that’s likely to continue. So she may deserve some consideration for that.

I don’t know when the FoY is chosen. Is it mid tournament like so many other awards?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom