Freshman Ashlynn Shade peaking at perfect moment | The Boneyard

Freshman Ashlynn Shade peaking at perfect moment

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

Matt Shade thought he knew what to expect when he took his seat behind the UConn women’s basketball bench to watch his daughter in Monday’s second-round NCAA Tournament matchup with Syracuse. But the sold-out crowd at Gampel Pavilion exceeded everything he imagined from “The Basketball Capital of the World” as the Huskies advanced to the Sweet 16 with a 72-64 win.
“This place is crazy … it’s like on steroids,” Matt said. “I mean, this is basketball at the highest level. March Madness is such a big part of our whole lives, so just to see your daughter out there and to see them perform and then move on, it’s like, surreal … It’s definitely different watching now though. A lot more stressful.”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So on Monday night I was watching the late game, USC vs KS, on ESPN. At halftime, the ESPN analysts (no Rebecca) did a segment on all the talented freshmen in the women’s tournament. They highlighted Watkins, Hidalgo, Williams, Fulwilly & Booker and their stats for the first two tournament games.

With the exception of Watkins, Ashlynn’s numbers, and I would argue her performance as well, has been superior to every other freshman recognized by ESPN. It’s nice that the “hometown newspaper” is showing Ashlynn some love. But it’s time that her outstanding play is highlighted by the national media as well.

Reaction Score
Love to watch her play. My experience watching her is so similar to Caroline Ducharme. I watched Ash in some of the games overseas and was thinking she may be a couple years away. I had a similar thought watching Caroline her first couple games her freshmen year. Then early on this season, even in the Texas game Ashlynn looked good. Then every time I saw her she looked good and was consistently producing. To the point like I think she's kinda underrated. I love her midrange game. She can take a couple dribbles get bumped in the lane and still hit the shot from the mid range. I just think finishing in the lane is tough cuz she's kinda short. That's y I always say the rest of the world is lucky she's only 5'9. Anyways really liked the story.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Love to watch her play. My experience watching her is so similar to Caroline Ducharme. I watched Ash in some of the games overseas and was thinking she may be a couple years away. I had a similar thought watching Caroline her first couple games her freshmen year. Then early on this season, even in the Texas game Ashlynn looked good. Then every time I saw her she looked good and was consistently producing. To the point like I think she's kinda underrated. I love her midrange game. She can take a couple dribbles get bumped in the lane and still hit the shot from the mid range. I just think finishing in the lane is tough cuz she's kinda short. That's y I always say the rest of the world is lucky she's only 5'9. Anyways really liked the story.
There are guards Shade's size who don't have trouble finishing in the lane. As she gets more experience, she will have less trouble finishing. However, I do not remember seeing her drive all the way to the basket. She usually stops and shoots her jumper. If she escapes injury, she will be hard to guard for the next three seasons and to see her on the court with Paige and Fudd next season, will be something special to watch.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There are guards Shade's size who don't have trouble finishing in the lane. As she gets more experience, she will have less trouble finishing. However, I do not remember seeing her drive all the way to the basket. She usually stops and shoots her jumper. If she escapes injury, she will be hard to guard for the next three seasons and to see her on the court with Paige and Fudd next season, will be something special to watch.
And Allie and Morgan.

Reaction Score
True...but Ashlynn has completed any number of excellent "backdoor cuts" with nice finishes
at the basket... keep watching... it will be THERE! Go Huskies. !!

Reaction Score
Okay, @HuskyNan swerved, so it must be okay! :D

I can't wait to see Morgan and Allie playing with Paige KK Ash Azzi.

Ash Allie Azzi will be such an amazing lineup to have at the 2 or the 3, with KK and Morgan at the 1. I know, Morgan's big for a 1, but she so clearly is that by skill set.

Okay, breathing returning to normal. Ash is tremendous and she will leave her mark at Storrs. There, I said it. She may be underrated, but that's preferable to being overrated. And Geno is the only audience she really cares about anyway. To anyone who watched her games in high school, none of this is a surprise. She was to her teams what Paige was at Hopkins -- the go-to hero who could carry the team if necessary but preferred to get everyone involved.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

Ash Allie Azzi will be such an amazing lineup to have at the 2 or the 3, with KK and Morgan at the 1. I know, Morgan's big for a 1, but she so clearly is that by skill set.

Okay, breathing returning to normal. Ash is tremendous and she will leave her mark at Storrs. There, I said it. She may be underrated, but that's preferable to being overrated. And Geno is the only audience she really cares about anyway. To anyone who watched her games in high school, none of this is a surprise. She was to her teams what Paige was at Hopkins -- the go-to hero who could carry the team if necessary but preferred to get everyone involved.
I don't think for a minute that Ash has been underrated, from her HS rating numbers on Hoopgirls or other services she was in the top 25. She may have ascended earlier than anticipated in large due to our injury situation. Reality for Ash, she has shown what she has, there is no putting her back in the can, she is here to stay. Ash may not start next year, who knows at this time. What is known is that Ash has proven her worth to most, especially Geno. This is mostly directed to BRS24 who inserted the laugh imogi to Bone Dog's above post. I know you have your point of view would just like to know what you found funny about Bone Dog's post.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

I believe that she was rated #5 in her Junior class, but because she went to a private school that was not part of Indiana High School Athletics Association in her Senior year she fell sharply in the ratings.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Basketball people, Basketball.
It’s a hoops day off today.;) I don’t like the hoop season ending, but lately it’s been a little much. The price of having a college with 2 really good teams. But back on topic, Ashlynn’s attitude and obvious enjoyment of the game is rocketing her to the top levels of my all time Husky favorites.

Reaction Score
Here are the 3 things I like the most about her. 1) She is always going, moving, playing hard and doing her job. 2) No fear. 3) A very old school form on her shot which works perfectly and under control from short as a jumper or long as a push. Very humble kid who is just happy as heck to be here.

Reaction Score
So on Monday night I was watching the late game, USC vs KS, on ESPN. At halftime, the ESPN analysts (no Rebecca) did a segment on all the talented freshmen in the women’s tournament. They highlighted Watkins, Hidalgo, Williams, Fulwilly & Booker and their stats for the first two tournament games.

With the exception of Watkins, Ashlynn’s numbers, and I would argue her performance as well, has been superior to every other freshman recognized by ESPN. It’s nice that the “hometown newspaper” is showing Ashlynn some love. But it’s time that her outstanding play is highlighted by the national media as well.
I can promise you that ASH is perfectly happy to remain unnoticed by the media. She is a humble young woman who respects the game and her teammates.

Reaction Score
"creates off the dribble" is visually more attention-getting than someone who plays the team game and can shoot...

If you are talking more of an iso game, yes, that is not Ash. However, she certainly uses the ball fake and a dribble to mid-range for the baseline jumper, when the defender is jumping out at her.

Reaction Score
I don't think for a minute that Ash has been underrated, from her HS rating numbers on Hoopgirls or other services she was in the top 25. She may have ascended earlier than anticipated in large due to our injury situation. Reality for Ash, she has shown what she has, there is no putting her back in the can, she is here to stay. Ash may not start next year, who knows at this time. What is known is that Ash has proven her worth to most, especially Geno. This is mostly directed to BRS24 who inserted the laugh imogi to Bone Dog's above post. I know you have your point of view would just like to know what you found funny about Bone Dog's post.
Ash should start next season. I don’t know how you take someone with her success and now put her in the back seat. She earned it. JMHO

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score

Let me add Lara Somfai and Sarah Strong. Lara Im told really enjoyed her time at UConn. Sarah still has UConn on her list with so many others falling off her list. I was also told Lara looks like she could be an all time great. I believe we have one more year before she graduates IMG Academy in Fla. Just look at our roster for the next few years. It looks unbeatable if we stay healthy

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
My only Concern is can she continue to score at current pace. We sure do need her to continue!
Her scoring is bound to vary some from game to game. She’s good but not Paige good who can be pretty consistent regardless of opponent. But I want her to shoot pretty much every time she’s open. I’m becoming surprised when her shot doesn’t fall.

I think she uses her pull up properly, rarely driving into traffic with no room to shoot or pass. To me that’s KK’s biggest flaw in an otherwise really good floor game.

BTW, I kind of chuckle when 5’9” is described as short for a female. I get we are talking hoops, but my almost 16 year old granddaughter is a willowy 5’9” and looks really tall to me. She played JV hoops her first year but quit over issues with the really obnoxious coach. So she starts for her hs soccer and lacrosse teams.

Reaction Score
My only Concern is can she continue to score at current pace. We sure do need her to continue!
To my mind the only issue is endurance. In the tough games she had that I saw, she was clearly tired. She seems to have found her"second season" wind though and look like she could play another game Monday night. The key about her is to keep shooting even if she is off. She is really not just a shooter though, she is a scorer. There is a difference.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
This young lady is very humble, she is always seems to be smiling during the game. She seems to really love not only the game, but her teammates, UConn and the fans. I just have one question, does she always say "yes" after her shot goes in the net?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom