Frank Mozzicato MLB draft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Frank Mozzicato MLB draft

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
A friend of mine's son played against him this past season and said he was "unhittable". But I guess I would expect the #7 draft pick to be unhittable in high school.

Another guy I talked to has a son who played AAU baseball with Mozzicato for a few years and said he was really skinny and didn't throw that hard a few years ago. His son's high school team was playing East Catholic this past season and his son was all worried about facing Mozzicato. His father says, "What are you worried about? Frankie doesn't throw that hard." Then he watched the game and was blown away how good he was.

He really was unhittable in high school. He threw four consecutive no-hitters at one point this year.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
What determines if its a under slot or overslot or normal slot pick? Is that announced when the draft pick takes place or just assumed?

Each pick through the first 10 rounds is assigned a value. Add up the value of each of a team's picks, and that gives you the number a team is allowed to spend on those 10 picks (or actually, they can go over by either 5 or 10%, can't remember which). What determines how much a player gets is basically negotiation, but certain players have more leverage than others. Mozzicato is unlikely to be a top 5 pick in 3 years when he's eligible for the draft again, so he's unlikely to make more money than what he will be offered by the Royals (even if it's underslot). That's why he is likely to sign for below the slot value. The top high school prospects have a good chance to be big-time college players and get drafted highly in 3 years, so they can walk away from the table if the team that drafts them doesn't offer enough money, because they'll most likely make a bunch in a few years anyway.

Reaction Score
What determines if its a under slot or overslot or normal slot pick? Is that announced when the draft pick takes place or just assumed?
It's just assumed from a fan standpoint, but teams have a better idea. They'll get on the phone with prospects and get an idea of what it's gonna take to sign the kid.

Generally high school guys will be the overslot picks since it'll take a strong offer to convince them to pass up college. The exception is someone like Mozzicato who was projected late 1st but taken early 1st, so you can offer him the money he was expecting to get and save the difference for later picks.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
so you can offer him the money he was expecting to get and save the difference for later picks.
And hopefully Frank said "let's split the difference".

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Anyone seen this kid pitch for East Catholic? He's a UConn commit and was just selected #7 overall in the MLB draft by the Royals tonight, it's safe to say he'll never suit up for UConn. His rise is meteoric, threw 4 straight no hitters this past season and has been arguably the hottest prospect in the country. CT. kids don't get drafted this high out of high school, last time it happened was Bobby V.

No, but my oldest friend lives in Ellington and played baseball and football at East Catholic. Has known him and coached him some since he was little. I was stunned he went that high. Thought 2nd round was more likely. Really exciting stuff.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Royals fan here. The fans want Dayton Moore's head on a spike. We have never developed pitching and this was an out of left field selection. I am guessing new ownership will clean house shortly.

Bret Saberhagen would like a word. I haven't talked to my Royals fans friends about this yet. If they can sign him at reasonable money, it's a good calculated risk. The draft is full of guys expected to go below slot. They need to allow draft picks to be traded.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
definitely more of a football town now, but the current front office of the Royals loves suck any energy or love of baseball from its fanbase.

Royals still plenty popular among all the people I know in the area. But yes, good teams attract fans. You've got to at least have hope. Tough for smaller market teams. Tampa is consistently good and still has no fans. Camden Yards used to be packed, and now it's far from it. MLB has some problems.

Reaction Score
If interested as we head into Day 2:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
definitely more of a football town now, but the current front office of the Royals loves suck any energy or love of baseball from its fanbase.
I know, they are a pocket the cash team.

Reaction Score
I don't know how draft works with cap etc. anymore, but $4 M...you just can't turn that down. Like, you can't. It is irrational. He can always go to college if it doesn't work out in six years. 24 years old, in college, a millionaire IF the baseball thing doesn't work out.

Yes, it's that simple. I cringe when I see players change their life plans to get a signing bonus of $100k or whatever (nothing wrong by the way with wanting to head to the minors if you think that's the best way of chasing your dream -- I'm talking about letting that amount of money keep you from college if you were otherwise going there), but if he's offered a $4M bonus you take it and build your life plan around that.

Reaction Score
Although not drafted in the top 10, Watertown's Rico Brogna was the 26th pick in the first round in 1988. Drafted by the Tigers. Played for the Mets, Phillies, Red Sox and Braves.
And a great football player too. Could have been an NFL player as a punter if not qb.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I’m interested to see if my Pirates jump on Fedko. I’d love to see him here and the local angle helps, so I’ll be interested to see where he falls

Reaction Score
Listened to some interviews and this kid is so likable. From what the scouts say and from video the kid has a devastating curve and he's gone from a high 80's fastball to a low 90's fastball that consistently touches 93 and tops out at 94 mph in the last 6 months. At 6'3 175 lbs. and just turning 18 years old, that's a lot to work with. Get him with pro training and there's no reason to think in the next 2-3 years he isn't over 200 lbs. and has a mid-90's fastball that tops out at like 97-98.

Reaction Score
If they wanted a truly fair system they would get rid of the draft completely. Why should the system give money to teams that just pocket it, that won't use it to compete?
That would do more harm. No draft and no o revenue sharing means the large market teams would draft/sign every available talent. They have the resources to field 100 minor league teams each if they wanted. They would play the number games and 50% of baseball teams would go belly up and the league would contract

Small market teams "pocket money" for the time period they hit lighting in a bottle and they saved the resources to go all in for that 3 year window before they have to trade and unload their stars because they simply don't have the resources to have a $200 million payroll like the large markets.

Its not pocketing money it's proper planning and resource management

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
That would do more harm. No draft and no o revenue sharing means the large market teams would draft/sign every available talent. They have the resources to field 100 minor league teams each if they wanted. They would play the number games and 50% of baseball teams would go belly up and the league would contract

Small market teams "pocket money" for the time period they hit lighting in a bottle and they saved the resources to go all in for that 3 year window before they have to trade and unload their stars because they simply don't have the resources to have a $200 million payroll like the large markets.

Its not pocketing money it's proper planning and resource management

For some it is, but there are plenty of very rich owners that just don't want to spend the money to field a competitive team. The A's owner is richer than the owners of the Red Sox, Cubs, and Astros, yet their payroll is always near the bottom.

Reaction Score
Maybe with the next CBA, baseball will allow for the trading of picks.

For example, if you're Pittsburgh and you want the catcher they took but you think he'd be there at 3 or 4, trade down a few spots and maybe pick up a 2nd rounder. That way if a team is drooling over Jack Leiter, they have to jump up and pay a price.

Basically just make it like the NFL draft.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Maybe with the next CBA, baseball will allow for the trading of picks.

For example, if you're Pittsburgh and you want the catcher they took but you think he'd be there at 3 or 4, trade down a few spots and maybe pick up a 2nd rounder. That way if a team is drooling over Jack Leiter, they have to jump up and pay a price.

Basically just make it like the NFL draft.

Yeah while I was watching last night I was thinking the same thing. They clearly want to emulate the NFL Draft with the changes they've made the last 10 years or so; might as well continue that trend and allow for probably the most exciting part of watchin the draft live, which is the chance of a trade-up.

Reaction Score
For some it is, but there are plenty of very rich owners that just don't want to spend the money to field a competitive team. The A's owner is richer than the owners of the Red Sox, Cubs, and Astros, yet their payroll is always near the bottom.
You can't equate wealth to the business operations. The red Sox make more gate money, more concession money and make more from their regional sports network. They make more money as a business thus have a higher payroll. Not everyone worth billions is liquid you have no clue what other ventures they have. You have to run the business based on its metrics

Reaction Score
You can't equate wealth to the business operations. The red Sox make more gate money, more concession money and make more from their regional sports network. They make more money as a business thus have a higher payroll. Not everyone worth billions is liquid you have no clue what other ventures they have. You have to run the business based on its metrics
I was going to write something similar.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's not true at all. In a free labor market the price goes up and no teams would be willing and able to sign "every available talent". And to say "they have the resources to field 100 minor league teams each" is just silly. Teams are trying to reduce the number of players they have in development, not add to it. And to say the end of the draft would result in "50% of baseball teams would go[ing] belly up" is just ridiculous.

Reaction Score
That's not true at all. In a free labor market the price goes up and no teams would be willing and able to sign "every available talent". And to say "they have the resources to field 100 minor league teams each" is just silly. Teams are trying to reduce the number of players they have in development, not add to it. And to say the end of the draft would result in "50% of baseball teams would go[ing] belly up" is just ridiculous.
While an exaggeration it's not far off. You're understanding of the economic of baseball are extremely skewed. For instance when the Royals play at the Yankees the Royals get 0% share of any money from that series including the YES broadcast. There is no revenue sharing the large market teams are at such an advantage it's a parody of parity

It's similar to the big ten/sec vs the big east

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes, it's that simple. I cringe when I see players change their life plans to get a signing bonus of $100k or whatever (nothing wrong by the way with wanting to head to the minors if you think that's the best way of chasing your dream -- I'm talking about letting that amount of money keep you from college if you were otherwise going there), but if he's offered a $4M bonus you take it and build your life plan around that.

What's your take on this one? Somewhere in between your two scenarios. Local kid down in my area was drafted #88 by the Marlins. His slot value is around $675k-$700k. He was generally considered a top 75-100 HS prospect and was second team Max Preps AA. He was signed was Miss St. His bloodlines are strong. Has a brother a year older who is starting OF for Ole Miss and was just named SEC All-Freshmen team and hit over .300.

So, $700k and start in minors as a middle infielder or off to Miss St.?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom