Frank Mozzicato MLB draft | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Frank Mozzicato MLB draft

Reaction Score
What's your take on this one? Somewhere in between your two scenarios. Local kid down in my area was drafted #88 by the Marlins. His slot value is around $675k-$700k. He was generally considered a top 75-100 HS prospect and was second team Max Preps AA. He was signed was Miss St. His bloodlines are strong. Has a brother a year older who is starting OF for Ole Miss and was just named SEC All-Freshmen team and hit over .300.

So, $700k and start in minors as a middle infielder or off to Miss St.?

I wondered about that myself when making my post, and the answer is it's different for everyone. So let's say the $700k becomes $400k after tax. Is your family desperate for the money? Is that a life changing amount for them and thus the player? Was the player only going to college to further his career, or would he have taken a minor league contract for free? What is the player's academic potential? Is he going to college to get a degree, but without baseball the college wouldn't be interested? Or would he have a great change of a well paying job or profession without baseball?

So the question about where do you draw the line is only answerable on a case by case basis. But I feel safe in saying that (i) if you're getting over 2 large after tax, you have to take it and adjust your plans around it, and (ii) if you're only getting $100k pre-tax, that money is far less likely to be of more economic utility for the rest of your life than a college degree.

Reaction Score
I know, they are a pocket the cash team.
Aren't they all? Tom Brady was and is an anomaly. Now the Patriots have a bandwagon following around the world.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What's your take on this one? Somewhere in between your two scenarios. Local kid down in my area was drafted #88 by the Marlins. His slot value is around $675k-$700k. He was generally considered a top 75-100 HS prospect and was second team Max Preps AA. He was signed was Miss St. His bloodlines are strong. Has a brother a year older who is starting OF for Ole Miss and was just named SEC All-Freshmen team and hit over .300.

So, $700k and start in minors as a middle infielder or off to Miss St.?

I wondered about that myself when making my post, and the answer is it's different for everyone. So let's say the $700k becomes $400k after tax. Is your family desperate for the money? Is that a life changing amount for them and thus the player? Was the player only going to college to further his career, or would he have taken a minor league contract for free? What is the player's academic potential? Is he going to college to get a degree, but without baseball the college wouldn't be interested? Or would he have a great change of a well paying job or profession without baseball?

So the question about where do you draw the line is only answerable on a case by case basis. But I feel safe in saying that (i) if you're getting over 2 large after tax, you have to take it and adjust your plans around it, and (ii) if you're only getting $100k pre-tax, that money is far less likely to be of more economic utility for the rest of your life than a college degree.
To this point: my best friend’s younger son was drafted out of high school four years ago in the fifth round. He had several full scholarship offers to very good schools and accepted one to University of Hawaii (he had offers from better schools, but not necessarily better baseball schools—and no better locations!). Also very good bloodlines and all he really wanted to do was play baseball; otherwise he would want to be a firefighter (seriously). Older brother started four years as third baseman for an Ivy League school and both parents are great athletes and baseball nuts. Before the draft he told his parents that he didn’t want to enroll at UHawaii even if he wasn’t drafted very high because that would limit his ability to enter the draft the following year; whereas if he went JUCO he could reenter immediately. Broke my buddy‘s heart at the time and we spent a lot of time discussing it. But once he was drafted in the fifth round it made it a no-brainer. I think his slot was around $300k.

Fast forward to now and they are all living their best lives. He is “on trajectory” in high A and having a legit league MVP season, and my friends are renting AirBnBs in various cities every other month or so to go catch a week of games. The kid is really killing it and I can’t imagine he could have made a better choice for their circumstances. I know the odds are still long, but I believe this kid is going to make it to MLB, and they are a smart enough family to make wise fiscal decisions with the money he gets.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
To this point: my best friend’s younger son was drafted out of high school four years ago in the fifth round. He had several full scholarship offers to very good schools and accepted one to University of Hawaii (he had offers from better schools, but not necessarily better baseball schools—and no better locations!). Also very good bloodlines and all he really wanted to do was play baseball; otherwise he would want to be a firefighter (seriously). Older brother started four years as third baseman for an Ivy League school and both parents are great athletes and baseball nuts. Before the draft he told his parents that he didn’t want to enroll at UHawaii even if he wasn’t drafted very high because that would limit his ability to enter the draft the following year; whereas if he went JUCO he could reenter immediately. Broke my buddy‘s heart at the time and we spent a lot of time discussing it. But once he was drafted in the fifth round it made it a no-brainer. I think his slot was around $300k.

Fast forward to now and they are all living their best lives. He is “on trajectory” in high A and having a legit league MVP season, and my friends are renting AirBnBs in various cities every other month or so to go catch a week of games. The kid is really killing it and I can’t imagine he could have made a better choice for their circumstances. I know the odds are still long, but I believe this kid is going to make it to MLB, and they are a smart enough family to make wise fiscal decisions with the money he gets.

Full rides in college are rare, so that’s pretty awesome.

And that’s great that’s he’s killing it.

And his juco idea isn’t uncommon at all.

Reaction Score
That's 100% not true the slot value for his draft position is $5,432,400. This was an under slot draft pick meaning they will probably offer him in the $3-4 million range. This allows the Royals to save money to make an over slot pick in today and try to sway a player to sign rather than go/ stay in college

Orioles did the same thing at #5 albeit not as big as a reach as the Royals. The Astros did this strategy when they picked Carlos Correa #1 as the slot value was $7 million and they signed him for $4.5 million the saving go to being more aggressive in later rounds and trying to add a talent with the extra money who most thought was unsignable
I was going by draft slot but I appreciate the feedback

the Q

Reaction Score
These mlb teams are basically entertainment companies now with the game just a front end offer.

They’re buying up real estate and creating other side ventures that are….let’s call them baseball adjacent…so they don’t count for revenue sharing.

Reaction Score

Good for your friend and his son, but that’s sort of the point. In his case, he didn’t want college for college’s sake. So if you’re offered a few hundred grand to do what you wanted anyway, and you’re happy to be a fireman if baseball doesn’t work, he made the right decision for him. For someone whose back up plan is to be a doctor or an investment banker, it would take more money for it to be a good choice.

Last edited:

the Q

Reaction Score
Good for your friend and my son, but that’s sort of the point. In his case, he didn’t want college for college’s sake. So if you’re offered a few hundred grand to do what you wanted anyway, and you’re happy to be a fireman if baseball doesn’t work, he made the right decision for him. For someone whose back up plan is to be a doctor or an investment banker, it would take more money for it to be a good choice.

A lot of guys get an mlb scholarship plan so they can go back to school on the team’s dime.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Good for your friend and his son, but that’s sort of the point. In his case, he didn’t want college for college’s sake. So if you’re offered a few hundred grand to do what you wanted anyway, and you’re happy to be a fireman if baseball doesn’t work, he made the right decision for him. For someone whose back up plan is to be a doctor or an investment banker, it would take more money for it to be a good choice.
Exactly. Older son was very good and would have loved to have gotten drafted, but wanted to be an engineer and now he is one. If the younger son had similar designs it might have been a tougher call.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

So, some context.

I'd say family is solidly in the middle middle class strata. Not hurting for money but no lighting cigars with $100 bills.

Kid was a commit Miss St after sophomore season and brother was named today as first team freshmen AA. Brother at Ole Miss seems to me to be there better prospect. Right handed glove and the prototypical LH swing. Has that Strawberry or Griffey Jr swing that looks like ball has to go 500'.
Grades were plenty good enough to go to a school like Miss St and get a degree without sweating hours devoted to baseball.

$700k seems right on the go / no go line of money post tax vice waiting 3 more years.

Somewhat interesting in state playoff a pitcher from Jacksonville Bolles HS beat the kids team. He was a first round grade and FSU commit. Jackson Baumeister. He tweeted don't draft me I'm going to pitch for me dream school FSU. He definitely turned down a multimillion post tax pay day.

Reaction Score
Anyone seen this kid pitch for East Catholic? He's a UConn commit and was just selected #7 overall in the MLB draft by the Royals tonight, it's safe to say he'll never suit up for UConn. His rise is meteoric, threw 4 straight no hitters this past season and has been arguably the hottest prospect in the country. CT. kids don't get drafted this high out of high school, last time it happened was Bobby V.
Matt Harvey was 7th overall in 2010. Springer was 11th in 2011. Other recent high draft picks include Pollock at 17th and Barnes at 19th.

Reaction Score
Matt Harvey was 7th overall in 2010. Springer was 11th in 2011. Other recent high draft picks include Pollock at 17th and Barnes at 19th.
The Valentine reference is for kids being drafted out of high school - not college.

Reaction Score
The Valentine reference is for kids being drafted out of high school - not college.
In which case I can't read and Springer was like 48th round but Harvey was 3rd round out of high school. And that makes more sense in the context of this thread.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
$700k seems right on the go / no go line of money post tax vice waiting 3 more years.
But the question is waiting three more years for what? If you think the older brother is the better prospect, what is the ceiling for this kid? Is he going to be drafted as high or higher three years later?

To @businesslawyer ’s point, if the kid has serious designs on another career for which a college path is required, then it’s a tougher call. If it’s just college for college’s sake, $400k post-tax buys you a lot of time to chase a dream.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
While an exaggeration it's not far off. You're understanding of the economic of baseball are extremely skewed. For instance when the Royals play at the Yankees the Royals get 0% share of any money from that series including the YES broadcast. There is no revenue sharing the large market teams are at such an advantage it's a parody of parity
So what? You're always going to have rich teams and less rich teams. The rich teams can't buy (nevermind keep) all the good players, especially with a defacto salary cap.

Reaction Score
Although not drafted in the top 10, Watertown's Rico Brogna was the 26th pick in the first round in 1988. Drafted by the Tigers. Played for the Mets, Phillies, Red Sox and Braves.
I remember RIco Brogna well, he was a local hero and phenom. He would've been made some all-star games if not for bad luck and injuries. He got stuck behind Cecil Fielder in Detroit and when moved to the Mets his career took off. He was on fire and then the strike happened. He came back and led a terrible Mets team in basically all offensive categories the next season and then injuries set in. He had a couple 100+ RBI seasons with the Phillies but at that point he had degenerative back problems and his career was over at like 30 years old. He's up there with guys like Burrell and Bobby V in the argument for best pure athlete ever in CT. Signed with Clemson to play QB before going straight to the majors.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My folks were on Mozzicato before baseball season started.

So, God Bless my mother's living soul......

In her mid-70's and she sees something in CT newspapers she think is of interest to me, she'll send me a text with the link to the article.

And by "link" I mean this....

Screenshot_20210712-225653.png

Reaction Score
My Mets lucked out and got that kid out of Vandy Kumar Rocker and im stoked. First my Bears have Justin Fields fall in their lap and again the Mets have this potential stud ace fall in theirs. He could be up as soon as the second half of 2022 if hes the real deal and health isnt an issue. We`ve already lost Mathew Allen to TJ surgery. Hope he comes back healthy and fulfills his potential. Baseball is the least predictable when it comes to long term success and draft picks.

Reaction Score
Somewhat interesting in state playoff a pitcher from Jacksonville Bolles HS beat the kids team. He was a first round grade and FSU commit. Jackson Baumeister. He tweeted don't draft me I'm going to pitch for me dream school FSU. He definitely turned down a multimillion post tax pay day.
Different financial situation but Al Leiter’s son bypassed a mid first round presumed spot to play for Vandy. got drafted #2

the Q

Reaction Score
Different financial situation but Al Leiter’s son bypassed a mid first round presumed spot to play for Vandy. got drafted #2

Rocker did the same and went 10, and got 5/6 pick money

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Saw him a couple times and the number of scouts at his games was mind boggling. He was so dominant it wasn’t fair. Unfortunately his competition wasn’t the best as East Catholic plays many of the public teams in hartford area so he didn’t face many kids who’s baseball careers extended past high school. Thought he would obviously make a great college pitcher but so hard to project how his stuff will translate professionally. His curve is his best pitch and does run it up to 90 consistently as a just turned 18 year old kid.
A curve at 90? Wow! He must have a +95 heater too then. All the best Frank M. whatever you decide. Be keeping an eye on you!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom