Fox Sports: UConn football heads toward independence. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Fox Sports: UConn football heads toward independence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If the ACC offers full membership in year 0-6, $30M isn't going to stop us.

It's a big pill to swallow but even on a pro-rated payout that $30M is paid back to whenever lends us the money very quickly.
Yeah I mean this essentially lines us up at $15m right when we'd be joining. Seems like a good deal to me considering.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Hope UConn loosens their academic acceptance for about 8 players a year.
We can’t act like Notre Dame when it comes to recruiting.
Let’s make a real run at this and be more like Boise St or Kansas St in recruiting.

Schools will want to play and team like that in the NY market

We should take any player who can pass the SATs. UConn is kidding themselves. Transferring in to UConn is ridiculously easy. If you get a 3.0 at MCC you’re guaranteed admission. UConn is a massive public university. There are absolutely brilliant people there, and they let in total stooges who can pay a tuition bill. Not letting athletes in to protect some farcical idea of academic integrity is just stupid—we need to get over ourselves

Reaction Score

It's a big pill to swallow but even on a pro-rated payout that $30M is paid back to whenever lends us the money very quickly.
This is exactly right. $30M would be a drop in the bucket if that day comes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Still it is entirely BS. That contract, at first scan, is all NBE. What the [heck]? How about negotiating? Where's the give and take?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
??
View attachment 44212
Who would sign this. The NBE is protected by the entrance and exit fees.
It doesn't make sense that we couldn't park our football team in any conference we wanted to (I mean if they'd have us). I don't see any provisions that we couldn't talk to them OR enter as a football-only member AFTER the entrance date.

I've only skimmed all the other provisions, and I don't see it, unless it's in a separate "Conference Rules" document, or unless I'm missing something.

CL82

Reaction Score
It doesn't make sense that we couldn't park our football team in any conference we wanted to (I mean if they'd have us). I don't see any provisions that we couldn't talk to them OR enter as a football-only member AFTER the entrance date.

I've only skimmed all the other provisions, and I don't see it, unless it's in a separate "Conference Rules" document, or unless I'm missing something.
Why should they care what we do with football? They are protected by the (exorbitant) entrance and exit fees.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Why should they care what we do with football? They are protected by the (exorbitant) entrance and exit fees.
Right, I agree with you. I can't believe they agreed to that.

I just don't see any other provisions that would prevent us from talking to/accepting a football-only deal from the Big 12 AFTER our big east entrance date without penalty. Do you?

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Still it is entirely BS. That contract, at first scan, is all NBE. What the [heck]? How about negotiating? Where's the give and take?
^^^ This is why I'm hoping we still have an ace up our sleeve, yet to be played. If tomorrow, for instance, we play the "UConn already accepted entrance into the XYZ, P5 conference for football only prior to today" card, what is the downside? The worst is that the BE has a temper tantrum but caves due to UConn's swag in all other sports.

CL82

Reaction Score
Right, I agree with you. I can't believe they agreed to that.

I just don't see any other provisions that would prevent us from talking to/accepting a football-only deal from the Big 12 AFTER our big east entrance date without penalty. Do you?
Nope. That's part of what makes it so weird. Unless they are trying to protect to us leaving before the entrance date and therefore not liable for the exit fee?

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Nope. That's part of what makes it so weird. Unless they are trying to protect to us leaving before the entrance date and therefore not liable for the exit fee?
Right, I think they're trying to prevent us from pulling a TCU, et al. Independent football it is -- for now.

C

Chief00

We should take any player who can pass the SATs. UConn is kidding themselves. Transferring in to UConn is ridiculously easy. If you get a 3.0 at MCC you’re guaranteed admission. UConn is a massive public university. There are absolutely brilliant people there, and they let in total stooges who can pay a tuition bill. Not letting athletes in to protect some farcical idea of academic integrity is just stupid—we need to get over ourselves
Passing the SAT SEC style is getting the 400 points you get for writing your name with number two pencil in the ovals.

C

Chief00

Keep in mind - will the AAC teams also have open dates in 2020? They may be barred from playing us but it will create schedule juggling perhaps.

Reaction Score
This should be the official college admissions policy. It is at many universities nationwide. Athletes also often bring leadership skills to the college community. That in itself is important.

Reaction Score
P5 schools will play UConn , but not at the Rent. Not that long ago UConn was trying to become more B1G like. Now I guess the new role model is Villanova. Basketball is for schools that can't play football. 20 years ago AD Perkins said if you don't play football at the highest level , you will be left behind. He was right.

Reaction Score
The contract just proves that the uconn admin believe football is going FCS.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Time for some more hot takes:

1. No P5 league is taking FB only.
2. If a P5 offers membership, the agreement be damned.
3. The clause is less than ironclad. It doesn't say the P5 can't call UConn though intermediaries such as say media companies and after 6 years (2025, when everyone expects a new round of realignment), the exit fee isn't prohibitive.
4. UConn still made out if you count the NCAA credits the C7 paid in the divorce.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Re-read it... it says "other than" any of those conferences. So we can talk to any other conference not listed (the non P-5) about football.

And you're right it says we can't talk to them until our entrance date, so not sure if that means on July 1, 2020 we can talk to BIg12 about football only. I haven't seen the other provisions yet.

Ahhh, my bad. Read it too fast and missed the last other than.

Anywho, just get in the conference and start chatting. And hey, we can talk to the AAC :).

Anywho, just have to enter the conferenc

Reaction Score
Maybe it’s not so crazy. UConn fills a spot with a reduced revenue share and gets the extra revenue bump for adding a team. Our revenue share could be $10 Million and the standard member revenue share is 34.3 Million. So, the conference wins and we win.

The last time the Big 12 considered expanding, UConn didn’t make the final round despite having UConn BB to offer.

Reaction Score
The last time the Big 12 considered expanding, UConn didn’t make the final round despite having UConn BB to offer.

Come back when you’re ready with a baseball team ... and despite good solid weather, nobody goes to SMU football games.

Reaction Score
Come back when you’re ready with a baseball team ... and despite good solid weather, nobody goes to SMU football games.

Baseball team? That’s the best you got?

Reaction Score
The contract just proves that the uconn admin believe football is going FCS.
If not Kermit, such extremely premature speculation may not say too much for the quality of a TCU education.

Reaction Score
Baseball team? That’s the best you got?
Not Pudge, but UConn’s 22 NCAA national championships may carry a wee bit of weight. IIRC, that places the Huskies at about #26 of all Div 1 universities. Not too shabby!

Reaction Score
Not Pudge, but UConn’s 22 NCAA national championships may carry a wee bit of weight. IIRC, that places the Huskies at about #26 of all Div 1 universities. Not too shabby!

Did you include those equestrian titles? Rowing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom