Fox Re-Opening the Contract | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Fox Re-Opening the Contract

Reaction Score
$2,000,000 more per school seems like a lot. It would be absolutely hilarious if accurate. It would be a whole new level of frustration for the AAC trolls.
It would increase payout to the conference by $26 million (extra $2 million for the 10 incumbents plus $6 million for UConn), suggesting UConn's value is in line with P5 payouts even without any football.
Idk a ton about the technicalities but from what I’ve read It’s not just UConn - the league has Outperformed their contract that was signed several years ago and fox wants to extend the relationship out into the future, which involves remarking everyone (including UConn) to fair value. UConn joining simply triggers the language to facilitate these negotiations

I think a big part is the changing of the league schedule to 20 games. More quality inventory under conference control + UConn brand + good ratings relative to FS1 standards.

Reaction Score
I think a big part is the changing of the league schedule to 20 games. More quality inventory under conference control + UConn brand + good ratings relative to FS1 standards.

#nailedit

Reaction Score
I know you said UConn brand, but I feel like people forget that also includes WBB. UConn played DePaul in December of 2017 on FS1 (see row 10). It was rated higher than all other Big East MBB games that week (except for Marquette/Wisconsin, which was billed as a Big 10 broadcast, but still only ~8000 viewers away). That's a potentially huge bargaining chip for UConn/Big East when it comes to renegotiations.

2017-12-04_FS1.gif

Reaction Score
I know you said UConn brand, but I feel like people forget that also includes WBB. UConn played DePaul in December of 2017 on FS1 (see row 10). It was rated higher than all other Big East MBB games that week (except for Marquette/Wisconsin, which was billed as a Big 10 broadcast, but still only ~8000 viewers away). That's a potentially huge bargaining chip for UConn/Big East when it comes to renegotiations.

2017-12-04_FS1.gif
Do you happened to have AAC numbers to compare?

Reaction Score

2017-12-04_FS1.gif
Interesting that marquette/wisconsin was listed as a Big 10 game, while Nebraska/Creighton was billed as a Big East game.

Reaction Score

2017-12-04_FS1.gif

It's not even "potentially"; it is a huge bargaining chip.

It's also a tremendous asset when trying to put together a independent football schedule.

Just sayin'

Reaction Score
Bumping this thread. Word is now that UConn is officially in for the 2020-2021 season that the Big East and Fox will sit down soon to work out the 20 game conference schedule and add value to the TV contract which currently runs until 2025. Kevin McNamara (Providence Journal) had mentioned potentially by 2 million a year per team which would bring the value per team to about 6 million.

In return, FOX would want the contract lengthened beyond the current 6 years. We will see where this goes.
FOX/FS1 last year, just lengthen the MLB deal. There is a term out there as it's called "New Fox" by folks in the sports business media. FOX & FS1 want to move to Live sporting events. Hence, FOX having TNF, WWE Smackdown this October on Friday's. College Football Saturday & NFL Sunday.

As for FS1 in the college landscape. The ACC & SEC are in bed with Disney for the next 25 years. The Pac-12 & Big 12 are mixed with ESPN/FOX. The Big Ten will be up in after 2022 with ESPN and FOX. Other than being soccer heavy in June on FS1, plus getting the PBA Bowling deal on FS1. Saturday's are always booked on FS1 year round with NASCAR, MLB, CFB, etc. FS1 needs the Big East to fill hours of primetime over 4 month period. I would be for the Big East Conference to extend the deal with FOX & FS1.

Reaction Score
Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery, best in the biz. Steve Lavin, Donny Marshall, Jimmy Jackson, Len Elmore...
The studio for pre and post game is pretty solid. Fox/FS1 main face of World Cup Soccer. PBA Bowling. College Football Pre Game noon on FOX and College basketball is Rob Stone!

There is a rising star at FS1. Nic Bahe is another name I want to put out there.

Reaction Score
The studio for pre and post game is pretty solid. Fox/FS1 main face of World Cup Soccer. PBA Bowling. College Football Pre Game noon on FOX and College basketball is Rob Stone!

There is a rising star at FS1. Nic Bahe is another name I want to put out there.
What was your take on the no announcer games on FS1?

Reaction Score
What was your take on the no announcer games on FS1?
FOX Hoops All-Access I believe it was called. FS1 did have announcer crew for the men's games the past two years. It was great with ZERO commercials! Having both coaches mic's on during the same time during game action is a bit much. The locker room part is cool. The 3-way split screen, I'm not sure I like. (Game and each coach)

Reaction Score
A Marquette fan shared this info on a Big East board. Very insightful:

The original deal was a 12-year, $500 million deal; on average, that provided $41.6 million per year to the ten members ($4.16 million per member per year). It allowed the deal to be upgraded to $550 million if we went to eleven members, and $600 million if we went up to 12 members. So, without extending the deal - and just following parameters set forth in original deal - that would increase the average payout per year to $45.83 million per year ($4.58 million per member per year). From that, if Fox wanted to "extend" the current deal, upping the annual payout to $6 million, they would "only" need to increase the average payouts by $16.5 million per year total (around $1.65 million per member); from that increase it payouts, Fox gets an additional 40 Big East conference games (an extra two for each team, as well as the full 20 from UConn), as well as the right to an additional BE Tournament game. Not counting the access to UConn's OOC home games it will also acquire, it comes out to about 40k per "extra" contest.

I still think a BE-Fox extension gets announced next July 1st.

So with UConn being added, the schools now all make 4.58 million. 1.65 to get to 6 million. That would be amazing to be making that type of money with football still available to sell to SNY.

Still trying to get clarification on the UConn women.

Reaction Score

The original deal was a 12-year, $500 million deal; on average, that provided $41.6 million per year to the ten members ($4.16 million per member per year). It allowed the deal to be upgraded to $550 million if we went to eleven members, and $600 million if we went up to 12 members. So, without extending the deal - and just following parameters set forth in original deal - that would increase the average payout per year to $45.83 million per year ($4.58 million per member per year). From that, if Fox wanted to "extend" the current deal, upping the annual payout to $6 million, they would "only" need to increase the average payouts by $16.5 million per year total (around $1.65 million per member); from that increase it payouts, Fox gets an additional 40 Big East conference games (an extra two for each team, as well as the full 20 from UConn), as well as the right to an additional BE Tournament game. Not counting the access to UConn's OOC home games it will also acquire, it comes out to about 40k per "extra" contest.

So with UConn being added, the schools now all make 4.58 million. 1.65 to get to 6 million. That would be amazing to be making that type of money with football still available to sell to SNY.

It all makes so much sense.

Reaction Score

I wasn't a math major, but I think the Marquette fan's numbers are messed up. First of all, unless UConn isn't getting any of the Fox money in perpetuity, the simplistic addition of the $50mm would not result in $4.58mm per member because there would be now be 11 members (so it would be the same $4.167mm). It looks as if it's just a way to allow the league to expand without worrying about making less money.

It also doesn't work to say the deal is upgraded to $550mm, unless that is a prorated amount. Otherwise, the Big East would just wait until the last year and get the extra $50mm (a windfall of $4.5mm that year).

I hope we get more money, but that post is off.

Reaction Score
I wasn't a math major, but I think the Marquette fan's numbers are messed up. First of all, unless UConn isn't getting any of the Fox money in perpetuity, the simplistic addition of the $50mm would not result in $4.58mm per member because there would be now be 11 members (so it would be the same $4.167mm). It looks as if it's just a way to allow the league to expand without worrying about making less money.

It also doesn't work to say the deal is upgraded to $550mm, unless that is a prorated amount. Otherwise, the Big East would just wait until the last year and get the extra $50mm (a windfall of $4.5mm that year).

Yeah its 400k extra a contest, not 40k. He was off with that.

Reaction Score

Don't you have to divide that new annual payout by 11 teams now?

Reaction Score
The added inventory (including WBB) makes me think everyone will be making more than the current figure. How much more is the question.

Reaction Score

You are right. It was off. His response:

Man, my math was WAY OFF. Sincerest apologies.

I did not adjust for the eleventh member: it still comes out to a flat rate to $4.16 per member per year (thus Fox did not incentivize the Big East to expand just for the sake of expanding, which would make sense). While the amounts change, the content numbers do not. It still amounts to at least 41 new guaranteed content slots to offer to Fox (not including UConn Women's Basketball). IF it gets bumped up to $6 million, that would mean each member would need to receive an extra $1.84 million per year (with Fox paying an extra $20 million per year).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Assuming the foregoing is correct it will be interesting to see if there is any premium due to the addition of UConn. If any increase is just due to the non-dilution clause, then the whole Fox wanted UConn narrative takes a bit of a hit.

Reaction Score
Assuming the foregoing is correct it will be interesting to see if there is any premium due to the addition of UConn. If any increase is just due to the non-dilution clause, then the whole Fox wanted UConn narrative takes a bit of a hit.
I keep going back to the piece Kevin McNamara wrote when news broke we were joining. Word is he is very connected inside the Big East office. He got this info from a good source. I am not saying the number is right on, but this wasn't just floated out of thin air. My guy has heard it as well.

Don’t listen when you hear Big East people say this isn’t about money. Expansion is always about money and after getting steamrolled for years by former football partners Boston College, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, everyone should know the score. UConn will pay an entry fee to the Big East ($3.5 million), but that’s usually deducted from future earnings. More importantly, TV partner Fox Sports certainly pushed for this. Word is the addition of UConn can trigger a clause in the Big East’s deal with Fox and re-open talks on a contract that has six years to run. This will mean a bump from the current $4 million or so per school TV payout; perhaps an additional $2 million per school.

Reaction Score
It allowed the deal to be upgraded to $550 million if we went to eleven members, and $600 million if we went up to 12 members.

if adding a 12th school wouldn't cause any dilution then the 20 game-round robin wasn't a sticking point for FOX...

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom