Fox Re-Opening the Contract | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fox Re-Opening the Contract

Reaction Score
It would increase payout to the conference by $26 million (extra $2 million for the 10 incumbents plus $6 million for UConn), suggesting UConn's value is in line with P5 payouts even without any football.
When i first heard that number it seemed unbelievable to me. That really would set us apart from everyone outside the P5.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Bumping this thread. Word is now that UConn is officially in for the 2020-2021 season that the Big East and Fox will sit down soon to work out the 20 game conference schedule and add value to the TV contract which currently runs until 2025. Kevin McNamara (Providence Journal) had mentioned potentially by 2 million a year per team which would bring the value per team to about 6 million.

In return, FOX would want the contract lengthened beyond the current 6 years. We will see where this goes.

Don’t listen when you hear Big East people say this isn’t about money. Expansion is always about money and after getting steamrolled for years by former football partners Boston College, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, everyone should know the score. UConn will pay an entry fee to the Big East ($3.5 million), but that’s usually deducted from future earnings. More importantly, TV partner Fox Sports certainly pushed for this. Word is the addition of UConn can trigger a clause in the Big East’s deal with Fox and re-open talks on a contract that has six years to run. This will mean a bump from the current $4 million or so per school TV payout; perhaps an additional $2 million per school.

Reaction Score
When i first heard that number it seemed unbelievable to me. That really would set us apart from everyone outside the P5.

Idk a ton about the technicalities but from what I’ve read It’s not just UConn - the league has Outperformed their contract that was signed several years ago and fox wants to extend the relationship out into the future, which involves remarking everyone (including UConn) to fair value. UConn joining simply triggers the language to facilitate these negotiations

Reaction Score
Who is in the FOX Sports TV crew? We had some awful announcing teams the past few years on ESPN.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Raftery is the best color guy in the business.
Ha, I can see the appeal he had once (maybe still does, just not to me really). I just feel like he phones it in these days and jumps to his schtick too much/too quickly.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Idk a ton about the technicalities but from what I’ve read It’s not just UConn - the league has Outperformed their contract that was signed several years ago and fox wants to extend the relationship out into the future, which involves remarking everyone (including UConn) to fair value. UConn joining simply triggers the language to facilitate these negotiations
While i agree with this, would any school other than UConn, trigger such a renegotiation and move the dollar amount that much? Talking about the schools outside the P5 of course not hypotheticals like Duke.

Reaction Score
While i agree with this, would any school other than UConn, trigger such a renegotiation and move the dollar amount that much? Talking about the schools outside the P5 of course not hypotheticals like Duke.
No, UConn is a unique add. UConn brings its Big East history, its National Championships, its conference championships, its NYC presence, and its MSG crowds.

Without UConn, the Big East Tournament is the best conference tournament, the best attended, the toughest ticket, and the best venue. Without UConn the BET has thrived. Now overlay the UConn program on top of that success. We just increased demand on a sold out event. Great for MSG, great for Fox, great for the conference.

No other program brings this value.

The BE could have added Dayton and triggered an automatic plus up clause so nobody gets diluted. I think UConn uniquely adds value and triggers a Fox amended deal. The Big East has been a Top 3 conference without UConn, we extended our MSG contract, and now UConn is Home. All of those support Fox wanting to extend the term, and the conference being able to realize more cash for its increased value.

Reaction Score
No, UConn is a unique add. UConn brings its Big East history, its National Championships, its conference championships, its NYC presence, and its MSG crowds.

Without UConn, the Big East Tournament is the best conference tournament, the best attended, the toughest ticket, and the best venue. Without UConn the BET has thrived. Now overlay the UConn program on top of that success. We just increased demand on a sold out event. Great for MSG, great for Fox, great for the conference.

No other program brings this value.

The BE could have added Dayton and triggered an automatic plus up clause so nobody gets diluted. I think UConn uniquely adds value and triggers a Fox amended deal. The Big East has been a Top 3 conference without UConn, we extended our MSG contract, and now UConn is Home. All of those support Fox wanting to extend the term, and the conference being able to realize more cash for its increased value.

I either love or hate your comments.

There is no in-between lol

Reaction Score
That's crackers if this bumps up another $2 million per school. I think it could happen, but man - imagine getting $6 million for JUST our hoops program; then t3 and football payouts. You're flat out looking at $8-9 million per in addition to the cost savings in travel, which probably come close to another million; but you have to figure that's going to pay exit and entry fees, etc.

Reaction Score
Bumping this thread. Word is now that UConn is officially in for the 2020-2021 season that the Big East and Fox will sit down soon to work out the 20 game conference schedule and add value to the TV contract which currently runs until 2025. Kevin McNamara (Providence Journal) had mentioned potentially by 2 million a year per team which would bring the value per team to about 6 million.

In return, FOX would want the contract lengthened beyond the current 6 years. We will see where this goes.

Where are you hearing this "word" from?

Reaction Score
MSG contract: Due to UConn’s return, any potential extra onions? Yes, bleed every little extra pfennig out of the Huskies’ enhancement to existing NBE, now NNBE, contracts!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom