Fox Re-Opening the Contract | The Boneyard

Fox Re-Opening the Contract

Reaction Score
I can't find it as I type this, but I believe it was said that if the Big East added a team to the conference, that their contract could and would be re-opened by Fox for some additional compensation. Especially with the league going to 20 games, giving FOX more Big East inventory.

Has there been any additional talk about this? Could help make the numbers better for this move, as we know what a bad contract the American has going forward.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There was an auto-pro rata kicker for an additional member, but not sure about actual negotiations. The 20 league games thing is probably a relevant reason to do so.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I can't find it as I type this, but I believe it was said that if the Big East added a team to the conference, that their contract could and would be re-opened by Fox for some additional compensation. Especially with the league going to 20 games, giving FOX more Big East inventory.

Has there been any additional talk about this? Could help make the numbers better for this move, as we know what a contract the American has going forward.

Don’t listen when you hear Big East people say this isn’t about money. Expansion is always about money and after getting steamrolled for years by former football partners Boston College, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, everyone should know the score. UConn will pay an entry fee to the Big East ($3.5 million), but that’s usually deducted from future earnings. More importantly, TV partner Fox Sports certainly pushed for this. Word is the addition of UConn can trigger a clause in the Big East’s deal with Fox and re-open talks on a contract that has six years to run. This will mean a bump from the current $4 million or so per school TV payout; perhaps an additional $2 million per school.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Has there been any additional talk about this? Could help make the numbers better for this move, as we know what a bad contract the American has going forward.
what I replied with is the only thing I can find that talks about re-opening the contract

Reaction Score
what I replied with is the only thing I can find that talks about re-opening the contract
Thanks.

I found some older stuff. An article from 2013 when the contract was signed. This quote stood out:

The new Big East yesterday formally inked a 12-year, $500M contract with Fox Sports, a “sum that will rise" to $600M if, "as expected, the league expands to 12 members,” according to Richard Sandomir of the N.Y. TIMES.

Obviously, it sounds like 11 is the number, not 12.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There seems to be some discrepancies/confusion regarding Tier 3 WBB rights too. Be nice to clear it all up.

There's no confusion - the Big East will own our Tier 3 rights.

Whatever games they elect not to broadcast can be sublicensed to other networks like CBSSportsNet or SNY....but the money goes to Fox unless some arrangement is worked out like our current arrangement with the American.

Reaction Score

Whatever games they elect not to broadcast can be sublicensed to other networks like CBSSportsNet or SNY....but the money goes to Fox unless some arrangement is worked out like our current arrangement with the American.
I agree on the Tier 3 rights. I think what is confusing is the contract states the following:

The agreement grants Fox Sports rights to all conference-controlled men's basketball games, select rights to women's basketball, all Olympic sports and extensive rights for highlights and to produce ancillary programming.

The select rights to women's basketball is what is throwing people I think.

Reaction Score
I agree on the Tier 3 rights. I think what is confusing is the contract states the following:

The agreement grants Fox Sports rights to all conference-controlled men's basketball games, select rights to women's basketball, all Olympic sports and extensive rights for highlights and to produce ancillary programming.

They should have more clear on that... should have said UConn Women's basketball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Yep, but I expect they've indicated a willingness to work with SNY. Keep in mind though that our football rights aren't a part of this deal. SNY has indicated a willingness to broadcast these games. That money is ours to keep. Likewise, the revenue from any coaches shows would be ours as well.

SNY does a great job with Geno Auriemma with two shows that feature him. The Geno Auriemma Show features an interview inter-spaced with game and practice footage. The production values are very high. It is not at all like a typical "coach's show." They also feature a second show called Geno's Legacy which has Geno interviewing greats from the program. This is a great insider's view into the program. Sue Bird, Rebecca Lobo, Jen Rizzotti, Jamel Elliot, Shay Ralph and Chris Dailey have all been on it. Both shows are well done and entertaining.

SNY also does pre-season and post season shows for WBB and MBB. Again this would seem to be outside of the BE contract.

UConn gets good rating on SNY.

For the 2018-2019 season, UConn Women's basketball on SNY pulled a 6.00 average HH rating (approx. 55,300 households) in the Hartford-New Haven DMA. This viewership figure topped other sports programming in the region, including Red Sox baseball, NFL Thursday Night Football, NBA Basketball and Bruins hockey.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

That is not exactly right about Tier 3 rights.

Reaction Score

That is not exactly right about Tier 3 rights.
And the thing we all care most about, TV stuff. The contract says UConn will abide by the same rules as the current members, giving the Big East the sole rights to sell UConn’s TV rights (radio is the Huskies’ to do with as they please, so the local ESPN radio deal is safe). However! There’s this handy little clause in there:

The Conference will exclusively represent each of the Members with respect to the sale, licensing, distribution and other exploitation of the Media Rights and all matters related thereto, except, in each case, to the extent that the rules of the Conference expressly permit the Member to retain for itself or to the extent the Board votes to return other rights to the Members or to grant any other person or entity a license to exploit certain specified Media Rights; (emphasis mine)

So this leaves room for two things: the Big East giving UConn back the rights to content not picked up by FOX Sports, which currently owns the Big East TV package (essentially Tier 3 rights) OR the right for the conference to make a deal with another entity (SNY, for example, wink wink) to show content that isn’t picked up by FOX Sports. We know that cutting out SNY was a huge sticking point for UConn with the AAC TV deal, so it makes sense that UConn would make sure that all the basketball games (not a ton of Big East women’s hoops games make it to air on the FOX Sports channels) would be shown on actual TV sets in Connecticut.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

I would guess the inaccounted for are the games that are already committed to national broadcast on ESPN or CBS.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would guess the inaccounted for are the games that are already committed to national broadcast on ESPN or CBS.
I doubt it. They probably reserve the right to broadcast the NBE tournament.

Reaction Score
I certainly hope that’s true
That will help compensate for the lost NCAA revenue both basketball tourney and football playoff money
I believe this is the last year of the 2014 NC money. So AAC money will take a hit. The AAC received $2000 per team as the top G5 conference. All Indy’s get $850 per team
I suspect we will use these distributions as part of our exit fee.
It will be interesting to see how the football thing works out as financial considerations are significant.
The NBE is fat with NCAA money mostly earned by Nova but it will probably be years before we will be allowed to share.

Reaction Score
I agree, terrible title. Sounds like a declarative statement

Boneyarders love to put questions in the form of declarative statements in titles. I'm just used to it now.

Reaction Score

Someone needs to give Dan a history lesson:
Dan Weinberg, EVP Programming at CBS Sports. “The depth of the conference (Big East) has never been stronger...............

Reaction Score
Bumping this thread. Word is now that UConn is officially in for the 2020-2021 season that the Big East and Fox will sit down soon to work out the 20 game conference schedule and add value to the TV contract which currently runs until 2025. Kevin McNamara (Providence Journal) had mentioned potentially by 2 million a year per team which would bring the value per team to about 6 million.

In return, FOX would want the contract lengthened beyond the current 6 years. We will see where this goes.

pj

Reaction Score
$2,000,000 more per school seems like a lot. It would be absolutely hilarious if accurate. It would be a whole new level of frustration for the AAC trolls.

It would increase payout to the conference by $26 million (extra $2 million for the 10 incumbents plus $6 million for UConn), suggesting UConn's value is in line with P5 payouts even without any football.

Reaction Score
suggesting UConn's value is in line with P5 payouts even without any football

you mean in line with AAC payouts even without any football?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom