Former UConn strength coach Alosi alleges refusal to violate COVID guidelines led to his ouster (AP/Patrick Eaton-Robb) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Former UConn strength coach Alosi alleges refusal to violate COVID guidelines led to his ouster (AP/Patrick Eaton-Robb)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
After nothing...Sounds like his ouster was the result of his contract expiring. Not sure what grounds there are here.
IIRC, the article suggests that there is a 300 notice of non-renewal requirement.

FWIW, we need to get our coaches out of the CBA since non of them are actually professors anymore. Next negotiation, I'd make that a potential deadlock breaker, where you give on a demand in exchange for the union's agreement that will not be a part of the collective bargaining unit on a go forward basis.

@8893 is that a possibility?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
IIRC, the article suggests that there is a 300 notice of non-renewal requirement.

FWIW, we need to get our coaches out of the CBA since non of them are actually professors anymore. Next negotiation, I'd make that a potential deadlock breaker, where you give on a demand in exchange for the union's agreement that will not be a part of the collective bargaining unit on a go forward basis.

No idea.

Reaction Score

No idea.
You’d have to negotiate a change to the AAUP UConn Recognition Clause (easier said than done but always possible if you want it bad enough).

Reaction Score
How has this guy not deleted his Instagram yet? No idea what people are referring to with the anti Semitism or whatever, but so many COVID denier posts from the past year. Like who the hell is this guys lawyer?

Reaction Score
How has this guy not deleted his Instagram yet? No idea what people are referring to with the anti Semitism or whatever, but so many COVID denier posts from the past year. Like who the hell is this guys lawyer?
He should hire KO's lawyer and use the "scorched earth" strategy.

CL82

Reaction Score
He should hire KO's lawyer and use the "scorched earth" strategy.
Different dollar amounts at stake, but yeah.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This might be funny if visibly Jewish Americans weren’t being attacked, and if Jewish institutions weren’t being desecrated these days in the U.S.

Let’s call a spade a spade. Sal’s posts screamed antisemite and racist. This a$$clown didn’t belong anywhere near the UConn program.
With much to offer in support of your overall point, I additionally offer that, "Let's call a spade a spade" has an evolved meaning that has led me to feel it's best left unused.

Over many decades, I've heard questionable comments about Jews that have been waved away as innocent, ignorant, harmless, and such. I don't doubt that's sometimes true, but it's usually pretty low cost to let go of something that might be perceived or felt as degrading, harmful, threatening, or endangering when used by certain others.

Something to consider...

Is It Racist To 'Call A Spade A Spade'? : Code Switch Is It Racist To 'Call A Spade A Spade'?

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Across many decades, I've experienced all sorts of comments and actions that could be regarded by Jewish Americans as offensive, hurtful, threatening, and/or endangering.1w2ąaasßssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssIssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss'sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssvssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssswsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssaaaąaaąąąaaąaaąaąąaaąąąaaaaąaaaaaaaaąąaaaaaaaaaaaaąaaaaaaaaaąąaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaąaaaaaaaąaaaaaaaaaaaaąaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaąaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaqtnessed malice, provocation, indifference, gaslighting, denial, ignorance, innocence, and many other responses when people have been alerted to the impact of their behavior.

In the above context, I offer humble invitation that you to consider the following:

Is It Racist To 'Call A Spade A Spade'? : Code Switch Is It Racist To 'Call A Spade A Spade'?
With much to offer in support of your overall point, I additionally offer that, "Let's call a spade a spade" has an evolved meaning that has led me to feel it's best left unused.

Over many decades, I've heard questionable comments about Jews that have been waved away as innocent, ignorant, harmless, and such. I don't doubt that's sometimes true, but it's usually pretty low cost to let go of something that might be perceived or felt as degrading, harmful, threatening, or endangering when used by certain others.

Something to consider...

Lol, Hans did you nod off and nap on the keyboard?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
My guess is if he was hired in May 2018 and told his contract wasn’t being renewed in June 2020 it was a multi-year contract under the the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

The real solution is negotiating to get coaches and these types athletic department positions out of the AAUP contract in the long run.
I took a quick look at his contract, it's on the judicial website as an exhibit to the complaint. A 2 year contract, expired at end of May 2020. From the CBA also attached he gets 60 days notice after completing the first year of his contract.

Reaction Score
I took a quick look at his contract, it's on the judicial website as an exhibit to the complaint. A 2 year contract, expired at end of May 2020. From the CBA also attached he gets 60 days notice after completing the first year of his contract.
… so going by that, he would have had to have been notified by the end of March that his contract wasn’t being renewed (he alleges he was told on June 23rd) - one would think it should be fairly easy for UConn to disprove his assertion if they actually followed the CBA and swat away the attempted cash grab.

I have no skin in the game - they are better off not being associated with him in the long run.

Reaction Score

->“He just wanted his fair compensation after being railroaded out of UConn,” O’Neill told Hearst Connecticut. “But UConn has repeatedly refused to engage with us, won’t review our evidence, and haven’t given any evidence of their own. Instead, the double-talk continues. They say ‘no truth’ in public, but hide behind legal technicalities in court. Mr. Alosi is eager to have the ‘truth’ revealed in the courtroom.” <-

-> On June 23, Alosi was given a “Notice for Non-Renewal” letter by UConn, ending his employment with the school. In the complaint, O’Neill refers to it as a “Sham Non-Renewal Notice,” because it was executed after Alosi’s two-year contract had expired on May 28, 2020, and that, per a collective bargaining agreement, UConn was required to give 300 days’ notice for any non-renewal decisions. The school contended that 60-days’ notice was required. <-

Reaction Score
I'm a fan of taking chances on people, everyone deserves a second and even third chance IMO. It's a part of the reason I love Calhoun and Hurley so much but sometimes you get burned. There were significant warning flags with this guy, he showed enough for Hurley to take a chance on helping him rebuild his career but some people unfortunately don't prove worthy of the effort.

The above sums it up for me. I get what Dan was trying to do and he loves a redemption story, but it was a bad hire. Alosi was barely employable before and I don’t see how he is at all now in sports with the info he’s put out there.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
… so going by that, he would have had to have been notified by the end of March that his contract wasn’t being renewed (he alleges he was told on June 23rd) - one would think it should be fairly easy for UConn to disprove his assertion if they actually followed the CBA and swat away the attempted cash grab.

I have no skin in the game - they are better off not being associated with him in the long run.
Yeah the complaint is full of allegations of verbal assurances of renewal promises but if Alosi had something in writing he would produce that. My assumption is once the campus shut down due to Covid everybody was working remotely and a lot of the employment contracts were hung up until people knew what was going on. To give him 60 days notice (what the CBA says, not what his attorney is claiming) UConn would have had to notify him at the end of March, when it looked like the world might be coming to an end. His attorney claims Alosi was working past the expiration of the contract and was paid accordingly, but also that he was refusing to work out the players like DH wanted. That continued work somehow becomes a new, third year of his employment contract.

All of this is just leverage, of course, to pay him to go away.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Not to sound like a gym , but after looking through Sal's lifts on his instagram, he's pretty weak for a high level strength coach. Usually those guys are animals.

Reaction Score

Something to consider...

You don’t doubt that’s sometimes true. Funny. And not at all unexpected. I know it’s difficult to hear from all the way up on your high horse, but thanks for the reassurance.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Not to sound like a gym , but after looking through Sal's lifts on his instagram, he's pretty weak for a high level strength coach. Usually those guys are animals.
I took a look at his wiki page, he was a college cornerback at Hofstra so not exactly a giant to begin with. I hope DH doesn't have a blind spot for meatheads because Alosi has effed up pretty much at every stop in his life.

Reaction Score
I can’t speak to the anti semitism stuff, I don’t know what he said in that regard.

His lawyer will probably take the approach of just because he had his own personal views on Covid and the lockdown/mask policies doesn’t mean he let it spill into work. He followed the rules he just thought the rules were stupid.

I’m no lawyer though.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You don’t doubt that’s sometimes true. Funny. And not at all unexpected. I know it’s difficult to hear from all the way up on your high horse, but thanks for the reassurance.
Huh?

I sought to affirm your essential point, and add that your relatively 'throwaway' turn of phrase might be regarded as unaware or insensitive by an altogether different population. And I attempted to do so in a way that didn't intend to be personally critical, or assume any bad motive for your using it.

I don't understand the pronoun reference "that's" in your first sentence. I know you don't mean "funny" literally. I'm not sure what you'd expect or why. And your presumption of difficulty and reference to my "high horse" seem needlessly hostile. I suppose I could be a jerk and just respond with, "You're welcome," but to what advantage?

Antisemitism is real, and it often attempts to hide under cover of plausible deniability, gaslighting, and mock innocence. I appreciate your having raised the issue seriously.

I've also encountered genuine, non-culpable prior ignorance in phrases & behaviors used by people quite dear to me. In almost all of those cases, they resulted in a combination of initial embarrassment and ultimately gratutude for what I offered in response. I think you and I both know that this does not always apply.

I'm sorry our comments mismatched, and open to untangling lines if you're interested.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, the guy who tripped an NFL player, threw a kettle bell at Puff Daddy and made numerous controversial social media posts wasn’t willing to break covid protocols lol.
Alosi has enough problems so I think we should correct the record on this. Puff Daddy was the one who attacked Alosi with the kettle bell and he was charged with assault with a deadly weapon, Sal wasn't charged.

Reaction Score
Exercise physiology is exercise physiology

Plenty of basketball coaches who never played (at a high level) out there

CL82

Reaction Score

->“He just wanted his fair compensation after being railroaded out of UConn,” O’Neill told Hearst Connecticut. “But UConn has repeatedly refused to engage with us, won’t review our evidence, and haven’t given any evidence of their own. Instead, the double-talk continues. They say ‘no truth’ in public, but hide behind legal technicalities in court. Mr. Alosi is eager to have the ‘truth’ revealed in the courtroom.” <-

-> On June 23, Alosi was given a “Notice for Non-Renewal” letter by UConn, ending his employment with the school. In the complaint, O’Neill refers to it as a “Sham Non-Renewal Notice,” because it was executed after Alosi’s two-year contract had expired on May 28, 2020, and that, per a collective bargaining agreement, UConn was required to give 300 days’ notice for any non-renewal decisions. The school contended that 60-days’ notice was required. <-

Wait... his attorney is Ryan O'Neil? Well now I want to hear the oral argument.

1624050118055.png

Where do I begin, to tell the story
Of all my client did
A sweet love story of his fighting the COVID
But pay no attention to his Twitter saying it was fake
It ... was ... a..... mistake.

Do I need to say, that Dan Hurley was oh so very mean
He felt it safer to practice outside where it's clean
We need not talk about the Jets sideline trip Sal tried so hard to make
It ... was ... a..... mistake.

Last edited:

Online statistics