Former UConn men’s basketball player, Olympian Gavin Edwards visits Storrs to celebrate ‘cool’ honor (Anthony article) | The Boneyard

Former UConn men’s basketball player, Olympian Gavin Edwards visits Storrs to celebrate ‘cool’ honor (Anthony article)

Reaction Score
Wasn't Gavin one of the guys who transferred out and killed our APR score causing the ban?

Reaction Score
Gavin did not graduate in four years. He came back in 2012, after his pro stint in Greece and graduated then.

Reaction Score
Not at all. He stayed here 4 years, barely played (less than 12 minutes a game ever year) till his senior year 09-10 when he went on to average 10/6.
Yes but I think he left before he graduated. Hence bringing down our APR.

Nice that he came back. Bygones and all that.

Reaction Score
Yes but I think he left before he graduated. Hence bringing down our APR.

Nice that he came back. Bygones and all that.
It was the word Transfer you orig used. You are right re-him impacting our APR though (per some the other posters & yourself)

That APR stuff is BS anyways.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He didn't transfer out but I'm pretty sure his lack of academic progress hurt us.

Not sure why somebody disliked your post for pointing out a fact. I always liked Gavin and never held him or any other player personally responsible for the APR problem. That was an institutional problem.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure why somebody disliked your post for pointing out a fact. I always liked Gavin and never held him or any other player personally responsible for the APR problem. That was an institutional problem.
Well, yeah but the institution with the problem was the NCAA who decided to 1) make ex post facto rules; 2) apply the new punishment for a year that already had been punished; 3) ignore current data that you can try to offer that would have raise our data enough so that we would not of been subject to punishment.

That pisses me off to this day.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
A true Husky
He never gave up and when it came time for him to shine - he did a pretty good job
Not one of the best but he was solid his last year.
Love it!!!

Reaction Score
They didn’t transfer out. They went on to their post college careers. It was Robinson, dysentery, and edwards. Story was Calhoun was upset with their effort so he benched all three. When the season ended they left campus and didn’t complete the semester courses. Those grades or lack there of cost us a few years later

Reaction Score
They didn’t transfer out. They went on to their post college careers. It was Robinson, dysentery, and edwards. Story was Calhoun was upset with their effort so he benched all three. When the season ended they left campus and didn’t complete the semester courses. Those grades or lack there of cost us a few years later
if this is true then they only hurt themselves by not finishing up their degrees. Pretty stupid way to get back at someone.

Reaction Score
Dysentery? If you mean Dyson, he eventually played in the NBA, so that may be a wash. He was undrafted though so I'm not sure how that works.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Well, yeah but the institution with the problem was the NCAA who decided to 1) make ex post facto rules; 2) apply the new punishment for a year that already had been punished; 3) ignore current data that you can try to offer that would have raise our data enough so that we would not of been subject to punishment.

That pisses me off to this day.

No question. But, still, as a school/program, you should try to get your students to graduate rather than drop out once the season ends.

CL82

Reaction Score
No question. But, still, as a school/program, you should try to get your students to graduate rather than drop out once the season ends.
Yeah, that’s unfairly stated. The timing of moving on to the NBA or European basketball makes finishing up a degree challenging. Should Ray Allen,Rip Hamilton, Caron Butler, Donyell Marshall, Kemba Walker, Shabazz Napier, etc. be considered “dropouts“?

UConn was operating within the existing standard. I note that the penalty for having a less than adequate APR rate was a loss of a scholarship. Indeed, Connecticut received that sanction but went down to win a national championship notwithstanding it. Apparently that annoyed the NCAA who went on to change the rule retroactively, and apply it to the same year that was already punished. That flies in the face of the great American tradition of prohibiting ex post facto laws and subjecting defendants to double jeopardy. But it was worse than that because the NCAA refused to except UConn‘s current athletes grades which would have pushed us out of the prohibited standard.

For what it’s worth I note that the year before Syracuse received the one scholarship penalty for exactly the same offense. The decision to cook up a new penalty, apply it retroactively, to a period that had already been punished, without taking into account current information was incredibly unfair to Connecticut into the athletes who had the bear the penalty. Shabazz Napier was 100% right to call out Emmert on it and Walter Harrison should not be able to get a seat in a restaurant in this state.

Steven Seagal La GIF

“I don’t care if you see empty seats.
I said, we have no tables available
.“​

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yeah, that’s unfairly stated. The timing of moving on to the NBA or European basketball makes finishing up a degree challenging. Should Ray Allen,Rip Hamilton, Caron Butler, Donyell Marshall, Kemba Walker, Shabazz Napier, etc. be considered “dropouts“?

UConn was operating within the existing standard. I note that the penalty for having a less than adequate APR rate was a loss of a scholarship. Indeed, Connecticut received that sanction but went down to win a national championship notwithstanding it. Apparently that annoyed the NCAA who went on to change the rule retroactively, and apply it to the same year that was already punished. That flies in the face of the great American tradition of prohibiting ex post facto laws and subjecting defendants to double jeopardy. But it was worse than that because the NCAA refused to except UConn‘s current athletes grades which would have pushed us out of the prohibited standard.

For what it’s worth I note that the year before Syracuse received the one scholarship penalty for exactly the same offense. The decision to cook up a new penalty, apply it retroactively, to a period that had already been punished, without taking into account current information was incredibly unfair to Connecticut into the athletes who had the bear the penalty. Shabazz Napier was 100% right to call out Emmert on it and Walter Harrison should not be able to get a seat in a restaurant in this state.

Steven Seagal La GIF

“I don’t care if you see empty seats.
I said, we have no tables available
.“​

I agreed with you that the penalty was completely unfair. I don't think anybody here would disagree. But UConn's APR was bad, and not just because of lottery picks. Let's not pretend it wasn't.

CL82

Reaction Score
I agreed with you that the penalty was completely unfair. I don't think anybody here would disagree. But UConn's APR was bad, and not just because of lottery picks. Let's not pretend it wasn't.
Did anyone leave UConn and not work in their chosen profession for far more money than the average graduate gets? Let’s not use rhetoric that sounds as if we’re using kids and dumping them out the door uneducated when their eligibility lapses. That’s just not accurate.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Did anyone leave UConn and not work in their chosen profession for far more money than the average graduate gets? Let’s not use rhetoric that sounds as if we’re using kids and dumping them out the door uneducated. That’s just not accurate.

I'm not sure what you think I'm arguing. I think the school should have done a better job making sure the players were in good academic standing when they left. For their benefit and, cynically, more for the school's. Not particularly controversial.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you think I'm arguing. I think the school should have done a better job making sure the players were in good academic standing when they left. For their benefit and, cynically, more for the school's. Not particularly controversial.
Well, it’s kind of controversial when you phrase it like this:
as a school/program, you should try to get your students to graduate rather than drop out once the season ends.
That doesn’t sound like a kid who’s going onto a pro career that sounds like a kid who’s being kicked to the curb.

But, regarding your point as restated, I will still respectfully disagree. Connecticut was operating within establish standards and was willing to except the establish penalty of a loss of scholarship. Expecting the university to foresee that the NCAA would change the rules, change the penalties, apply those changes retroactively to a period that had already been punished, without the benefit of current data is probably a bridge too far, don’t you think?

(As I noted a prior post, this remains of a sore spot for me to this day. It was absolute horse crap, and if the school had threatened to take the NCAA to court, they would’ve back down. The fact that UNC basically admitted to having no-show classes and got no penalty it’s just salt in that wound.)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I was disappointed they did not offer a qualified African-American studies program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom