Former UConn men’s basketball player, Olympian Gavin Edwards visits Storrs to celebrate ‘cool’ honor (Anthony article) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Former UConn men’s basketball player, Olympian Gavin Edwards visits Storrs to celebrate ‘cool’ honor (Anthony article)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
if this is true then they only hurt themselves by not finishing up their degrees. Pretty stupid way to get back at someone.
How did they hurt themselves more than the program?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Well, it’s kind of controversial when you phrase it like this:

That doesn’t sound like a kid who’s going onto a pro career that sounds like a kid who’s being kicked to the curb.

But, regarding your point as restated, I will still respectfully disagree. Connecticut was operating within establish standards and was willing to except the establish penalty of a loss of scholarship. Expecting the university to foresee that the NCAA would change the rules, change the penalties, apply those changes retroactively to a period that had already been punished, without the benefit of current data is probably a bridge too far, don’t you think?

(As I noted a prior post, this remains of a sore spot for me to this day. It was absolute horse crap, and if the school had threatened to take the NCAA to court, they would’ve back down. The fact that UNC basically admitted to having no-show classes and got no penalty it’s just salt in that wound.)

You're making arguments for why the penalty was unfair, and everybody agrees it was horse crap. I keep saying I agree with you and you keep arguing with me nonetheless. E.g.:

But, regarding your point as restated, I will still respectfully disagree. Connecticut was operating within establish standards and was willing to except the establish penalty of a loss of scholarship. Expecting the university to foresee that the NCAA would change the rules, change the penalties, apply those changes retroactively to a period that had already been punished, without the benefit of current data is probably a bridge too far, don’t you think?

Yes, I do, and I thought I made that abundantly clear.

My point: If you finish in the bottom 5% of some academic metric, you might want to ask why that happened, and accept that perhaps you should have done something differently, such as tracking your players' GPAs. Irrespective of whether you thought you were going to get sanctioned for it. That doesn't mean the NCAA didn't royally screw us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You're making arguments for why the penalty was unfair, and everybody agrees it was horse crap. I keep saying I agree with you and you keep arguing with me nonetheless. E.g.:

Yes, I do, and I thought I made that abundantly clear.

My point: If you finish in the bottom 5% of some academic metric, you might want to ask why that happened, and accept that perhaps you should have done something differently, such as tracking your players' GPAs. Irrespective of whether you thought you were going to get sanctioned for it. That doesn't mean the NCAA didn't royally screw us.
Yeah, I think we’re talking past each other somewhat. The APR is an entirely arbitrary number made up by the NCAA. It has no real world application. So, if you want, you can argue that we should’ve gamed it. Without the benefit of hindsight, though it wasn’t worth the effort. Further, in the year that the penalties were assessed, we were entirely compliant with the metric, arbitrary though it was. It’s hard to be critical of that.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think we’re talking past each other somewhat. The APR is an entirely arbitrary number made up by the NCAA. It has no real world application. So, if you want, you can argue that we should’ve gamed it. Without the benefit of hindsight, though it wasn’t worth the effort. Further, in the year that the penalties were assessed, we were entirely compliant with the metric, arbitrary though it was. It’s hard to be critical of that.

I guess my only qualm with that is your comment that it "wasn't worth the effort." It's not like I think JC should have been personally tutoring Jamal Coombs-McDaniel so he didn't have a crappy GPA when he transferred to Hofstra -- but it wouldn't have taken much effort for someone to have monitored our players' academic standing a little more closely.

BTW, this is a good, mostly non-argumentative summary of how our APR got so low:

Anyway, Emmert sucks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom