Former Ashbrook standout Isaiah Whaley is ready for UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Former Ashbrook standout Isaiah Whaley is ready for UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
KO has never redshirted a player for developmental issues (correct me if I'm wrong). So I doubt it. One that will always stand out to be in freshman year Kentan. He was so raw. Would be a RS-Sr right now and I'd be a lot less worried about how our frontcourt will fare this season.

On Whaley - with a good strength and conditioning program he can easily put on 10-20 pounds come November. Hope we see results.

I can't even remember the last time Calhoun did either? I guess Mike Bradley redshirted but then never even ended up playing. Edmund Saunders and Sam Funches did as well but those were both for academic reasons. Am I missing anyone?

Reaction Score
Agreed. I don't even remember the last time we redshirted someone purely for developmental/strength purposes though, so I doubt it happens. Either way, with the new S&C coach and this kid's desire to get stronger, I wouldn't be surprised if this kid put on 10-15 pounds in year one, and 25-30 over the course of his career.
The last that comes to mind is Ajou Aju Deng...ouch.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The last that comes to mind is Ajou Aju Deng...ouch.

He wasn't redshirted; he was a partial qualifier. Justin Brown did redshirt that year, though.

Michael Bradley redshirted back in 2011 or something like that.

Reaction Score
He wasn't redshirted; he was a partial qualifier. Justin Brown did redshirt that year, though.

Michael Bradley redshirted back in 2011 or something like that.
You're right, although still not sure what he "Partially" qualified for?

Reaction Score
KO has never redshirted a player for developmental issues (correct me if I'm wrong). So I doubt it. One that will always stand out to be in freshman year Kentan. He was so raw. Would be a RS-Sr right now and I'd be a lot less worried about how our frontcourt will fare this season.

On Whaley - with a good strength and conditioning program he can easily put on 10-20 pounds come November. Hope we see results.

Facey and Enoch both should have been redshirted. Enoch especially, given how young he was when he came in.

Reaction Score
Facey and Enoch both should have been redshirted. Enoch especially, given how young he was when he came in.
Agreed. All stems from our inability to recruit big men year in and year out. Big men develop at a much slower rate than guards. If we had solid depth in our frontcourt, Ollie would be able to redshirt guys such as Facey/Enoch who'd benefit immensely.

Reaction Score
I wonder if he eventually gets redshirted this year. He needs alot of strength before he will play effectively. With the Cornell transfer we are deep in quantity. It will be Interesting to see if KO does redshirt him this upcoming season.
We are in no position to redshirt anyone. We have no clue if any of these frontcourt guys will pan out and give us the help we need this year, we need as many of them to compete with each other and hope one or two is better than their rep coming in.

Reaction Score
We didn't have the people in front of them where they could redshirt, same goes for right now. You need to have studs already entrenched in the lineup at the same position for redshirting to ever make sense.

Reaction Score
We are in no position to redshirt anyone.
Jumping the gun here. We'll have 12 guys on the roster by this time next week, and I think there's a non-zero chance the staff uses summer workouts & the official preseason stuff to figure out if either Carlton or Whaley is better off redshirting.

Nothing's a given in either direction.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt anyone is redshirting with all the question marks this team has. Whaley talked about how being able to play right away was a big part of him committing here.

If they wanted a redshirt big man, Gresham would have been more seriously considered, and we didn't really have much interest in him.

We won't know for sure until fall, but I doubt Whaley is redshirting, and I would be absolutely stunned if Carlton was.

Reaction Score
Jumping the gun here. We'll have 12 guys on the roster by this time next week, and I think there's a non-zero chance the staff uses summer workouts & the official preseason stuff to figure out if either Carlton or Whaley is better off redshirting.

12??

Reaction Score
I highly doubt anyone is redshirting with all the question marks this team has. Whaley talked about how being able to play right away was a big part of him committing here.

If they wanted a redshirt big man, Gresham would have been more seriously considered, and we didn't really have much interest in him.

We won't know for sure until fall, but I doubt Whaley is redshirting, and I would be absolutely stunned if Carlton was.

All hands on deck some kids improve during their freshman year as the light suddenly goes off. If you redshirt one because another lookd better in practice it's possible by mid year you picked the wrong kid to do this with. They all need to grow and they all need to be a piece for this year to be successful. Some will do so more than others but it will take time to see who that will be.

No redshirts from what I can see.

Reaction Score

Dude, this is the weakest our frontcourt has ever been on paper and you think the staff is considering redshirt. We basically have four three star recruits with zero D1 experience and a kid from Cornell who hasn't played in a year and put up modest #'s all fighting it out to see who can rebound, set screens, and dunk to help supplement what Jalen, Rique, Larrier, and Vital do. We need the bodies for right now, redshirting makes no sense.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
12??
320678011_0_640x640.jpg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'd redshirt this kid.

He's 6'10, has a BMI of about 11 and is likely overmatched by the AAC right now.

Sit him, let him lift every weight on campus for a year and then see if there's something there.

Reaction Score

It's easy to say now that Facey should have been redshirted, but something tells me redshirting the NY gatorade player when we were one piece away from being a title contender (remember, Olander and Nolan were our only two returning big men, and some considered Facey to be the missing piece) would not have gone over well here. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure he was 19 or so by the time he got here...I doubt he wanted to be in college until 24.

Enoch may have made more sense, but still you're talking about a legitimate NBA prospect. With guys like those you're not expecting them to be here four years anyway.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It's easy to say now that Facey should have been redshirted, but something tells me redshirting the NY gatorade player when we were one piece away from being a title contender (remember, Olander and Nolan were our only two returning big men, and some considered Facey to be the missing piece) would not have gone over well here. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure he was 19 or so by the time he got here...I doubt he wanted to be in college until 24.

Enoch may have made more sense, but still you're talking about a legitimate NBA prospect. With guys like those you're not expecting them to be here four years anyway.
Good point as far as not redshirting the POY and and help needed (minutes) in the frontcourt. I am going to say right now that we will see a significant if not vast change in S & C in all players. I think muscle and stamina building will add confidence along with attitude training with the changes being made in the program. If Facey was already 19 when he came here it is just pathetic that he weighed that little until his senior year or so. In 10 weeks of basic combat training the spectrum of say a company (250 men) might weigh between 100 lbs and 260. After 10 weeks it would look pretty much like 135-190. Fat burned off and muscle added with long marches every day with gear, calisthenics and running. That and someone in your face at meal time stuffing you or telling you to lay off. Most of the time there was also (seemingly) inadequate sleep and heat. If it was too hot (stroke danger get up before sunrise and run in the dark). The weight change/ muscle building was amazing. 10 weeks!

Reaction Score
Our new conditioning coach is a combat trainer? How many years have we been saying that if this player just puts on 20 lbs. of muscle in the offseason and it never happens? Brimah was supposed to come back every season resembling the Incredible Hulk. The other thing is that these are college students with freedom, not marine recruits on Gomer Pyle. The best bet for getting big strong athletes is to recruit them in the first place, then work on them because starting with stringbeans and hoping for better is a crapshoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom