Former Ashbrook standout Isaiah Whaley is ready for UConn | The Boneyard

Former Ashbrook standout Isaiah Whaley is ready for UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I am optimistic about most recruits. They all have some appeal and kids that age and level develop at such varying levels.

With that admission, I am excited about him as a potential player down the line. He's got a lot to like.

At this stage, it's largely up to them so it's tough to predict, but I'm optimistic.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
He has the length to be an NBA player, just needs to work hard on his game!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
A little on the lean side but looks like he has a great wingspan
We've seen them come in like this before and leave looking completely different
The new S&C coach should help a lot
WELCOME ISAIAH

Reaction Score
His production has increased as he's moved up in competition, so that's a good trend. Seems like a late bloomer. I'm always excited for our recruits. Hopefully he's a contributor & motivated. He sounds excited to be here, so that's always a good. He's got a chance for time this year. Go for it, Isaiah!

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score

Isaiah Whaley

Not sure if already posted, but a few clips on Whaley. First is one year ago while the second is two years ago. Could not find much else. His career high school numbers are great.

Reaction Score
Ya never know. Other schools have players not highly ranked or recruited and sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle. Hope that's us.

Reaction Score
Someone help me out here, is this kid the bunt single, the E-6 or HBP?

Ground ball in the hole. We're unsure if the SS can make the play or not.

Reaction Score
Cleveland Melvin was constantly ridiculed here and was used as an example of how Calhoun was slipping as a recruiter. Kid got recruited over and went to DePaul where he was a great college player. It is best to just accept recruits with open arms. We know this staff continues to recruit top players. They wouldn't give a scholly to a total dud unless they had no other options or they had scholarships to spare. Just embrace the kid and hope he's good. He's ours one way or another.

Reaction Score
He is very small. Remember though, this is the kid who committed because of the Strength Coach, he's committed to getting bigger.

It also sounds like he used to be more of a stretch, but made a conscious decision last year that he wanted to be a post. So he's the rare tall skinny kid who actually wants to play inside instead of shooting threes. That's good.

From his Mt. Zion game video, he's aggressive on the offensive glass and an easy scorer around the rim. He'll need more strength to do that at the college level, but as you note he seems to understand that. I think he'll ultimately be a good player for us.

Reaction Score
I wonder if he eventually gets redshirted this year. He needs alot of strength before he will play effectively. With the Cornell transfer we are deep in quantity. It will be Interesting to see if KO does redshirt him this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
I wonder if he eventually gets redshirted this year. He needs alot of strength before he will play effectively. With the Cornell transfer we are deep in quantity. It will be Interesting to see if KO does redshirt him this upcoming season.
Would make a ton of sense

Reaction Score
Would make a ton of sense

Agreed. I don't even remember the last time we redshirted someone purely for developmental/strength purposes though, so I doubt it happens. Either way, with the new S&C coach and this kid's desire to get stronger, I wouldn't be surprised if this kid put on 10-15 pounds in year one, and 25-30 over the course of his career.

Reaction Score
KO has never redshirted a player for developmental issues (correct me if I'm wrong). So I doubt it. One that will always stand out to be in freshman year Kentan. He was so raw. Would be a RS-Sr right now and I'd be a lot less worried about how our frontcourt will fare this season.

On Whaley - with a good strength and conditioning program he can easily put on 10-20 pounds come November. Hope we see results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom