For you MSGers: Video of Adams foul call and KO tech | Page 3 | The Boneyard

For you MSGers: Video of Adams foul call and KO tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you watch that play and see a foul on Adams, you're hallucinating.
Adams left arm stays down, and we will never know if he tightened it enough to affect Melo's movement. What I saw was Melo smartly and 'violently' raised Adam's left arm up with force, selling the foul. Happens tens of times every game everywhere with no call.

With that said it was an very bad call, and if the ref was on the other side it would not have been called.

Reaction Score
Our guards don't pressure the defense into fouls by probing the lane. 'Bazz/Kemba/Boat would put 4-6 fouls/game on the opposing team simply by probing the lane off PnR. That would get us in the Bonus and that's how you win championships.

Our starting guards are Gibbs/Purvis, who are simply not that type of player. They retreat off the hedge almost every single time. THEY NEED TO ATTACK THE HEDGE'S HIP, LIKE WE TEACH KIDS IN HIGH SCHOOL. They are both strait line drive, make/miss players. They do not draw fouls and DO NOT finish at the rim, AND DEFINITELY do not create for others.

So, we are ALWAYS losing in # of free throws and its never close.

Super depressing.

They were driving into the lane all night. They were not taking jumpers last night.

Reaction Score
I saw very few fouls on MD in the 2nd half. This is also something they have done consistently on the year (UMD top 20/351 in country in not fouling on D). We were able to drive paint at will 2nd half in part because they weren't fouling.

Meanwhile we were falling for Melo change of pace drives and hitting shooters on arm on layup attempts when trying for blocks.

All of the missed layups were fouls. Gibbs was pushed out of bounds on a layup, Adams was hacked, Miller was pushed, and then Miller was hit hard on his dunk. Meanwhile, small touches were called fouls on the other end. I did think Maryland deserved those calls, but you gotta call it both ways. The layups were missed because our players were in the air when they were fouled. They didn't finish through contact, but there was contact.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can't blame Ollie for getting upset with that heinous call.
My blame with Ollie is that he didn't try to rip the referees head off and leave the spine dangling like Calhoun would have
There is an ease that refs have in a bad way with Ollie that they didn't have with Calhoun and it doesn't help us
Yeah, as much as I hate to b1tch after a game, if you are going to get a technical go out on the court and get in the assh0le's face like Calhoun don't just throw papers on the ground like a little b1tch.

Sorry....

Reaction Score
It happened so quick. I don't think he had a chance.
if you watch Miller again he puts his hand up and can clearly see him say "Stop" or "calm down". It was super fast but Miller most certainly said something to Ollie. I really don't think Miller thought K.O. was gonna throw papers. Stupid move from K.O. that he will learn from.

Reaction Score
Was that Kirk King in black sweater behind the table leaning toward KO to try to calm him down during the tantrum?

Reaction Score
All of the missed layups were fouls.
There were a number of times when Maryland just played great defense. They didn't go for blocks and kept their hands straight up and down. There were a few that bothered me, for sure, but I wouldn't say every one.

Reaction Score
There were a number of times when Maryland just played great defense. They didn't go for blocks and kept their hands straight up and down. There were a few that bothered me, for sure, but I wouldn't say every one.

He was referencing the drives in the second half, not the entire game. So we were all commenting in the CHAT about those drives. There were 4 or 5 of them where we were bodied while in the air.

Reaction Score
I don't like blaming officials for anything for fear of sounding like a homer with blinders on, but the officiating just wasn't consistent. Not consistent enough to warrant that ticky-tack foul. Case in point, Diamond Stone fouled Gibbs on that steal and lay-up. By definition, there was contact at the rim. Basket and 1. Also, Miller dunked all over their big man (name escapes me now) whose arms were all over Miller's face and arms. That's two free-throw opportunities in the middle of a huge run by UCONN. Just disappointing.

Reaction Score
Who was the ref? That was a horrendous call, the kind of call that makes you question the integrity of the game.
Exactly, the timeliness of the call is what is suspicious to me. They routinely allowed MD to hit our guys driving to the hoop without a call, while we got numerous super soft foul calls, utter BS

Reaction Score
I don't like blaming officials for anything for fear of sounding like a homer with blinders on, but the officiating just wasn't consistent. Not consistent enough to warrant that ticky-tack foul. Case in point, Diamond Stone fouled Gibbs on that steal and lay-up. By definition, there was contact at the rim. Basket and 1. Also, Miller dunked all over their big man (name escapes me now) whose arms were all over Miller's face and arms. That's two free-throw opportunities in the middle of a huge run by UCONN. Just disappointing.
Yeah I saw that too, there was also a play where Brimah was backing down Stone, and from the TV angle it really looked as though Stone was leaning over Brimah as he dribbled and leaned forward, so when brimah went up for the shot attempt and directly into Stone's arms and body, that is a foul that Brimah gets whistled on 12 times out of 10. It really felt to me that they were set on not calling any fouls on Stone. One of the first half "amazing drives" by Trimble they showed the slow mo replay and Stone is like spinning in circles picking guys during the drive, make a freaking call evenly

Reaction Score
So....Ollie said in the post game that Jalen did commit a foul.

Right, he said that he did commit a foul but that the game wasn't called evenly. So basically he said that is a foul, but if you aren't going to call it on MD, you can't call that on us

Reaction Score

Yup I remember that one too, Miller dropped it right down and you see the defenders arm just completely against Miller's face.. nice clean defense MD, nothing to see here

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Yup I remember that one too, Miller dropped it right down and you see the defenders arm just completely against Miller's face.. nice clean defense MD, nothing to see here

That nice clean 2nd half defense included numerous drives by DHam where he was bodied off his path and had to adjust his shot/pass. It wasn't just DHam, but he drove more than the others. We've all heard that this is a point of emphasis this year, but apparently not in this game with MD on D.

Of course, if they played a decent first half, the impact on the game decreases.

Reaction Score
There is an ease that refs have in a bad way with Ollie that they didn't have with Calhoun and it doesn't help us

This is a really astute way to put it. The refs know that they don't have to worry about getting an earful if they make a bad call against us, so they don't think twice about swallowing the whistle when our guys drive into opposing bigs.

It's something I've noticed for the last 2-3 years -- our guards almost never get foul calls in their favor on drives to the rim. I thought it had to do with our guards being really undersized (Bazz, Boat), but it's continued this year even with more physical guys. Now I think it has a lot to do with Ollie putting up with it.

Reaction Score
He ran through the arm and then pushed it away. As soon as the arm impedes him, that's a foul under the freedom of movement rules 100/100. You can see Adams left arm sticking out perpendicular to Melo's body in his path in the vine in the OP. It's not much, but it's enough and it's a foul.

That was excellent defense on Adams part; as you are taught. Melo Trimble has no right to run through Adams for the position on the other side of the in-bounder. Trimble initiated the contact; Trimble used his left arm to change both their positions. That certainly is not a foul on Adams.

Reaction Score
This is a really astute way to put it. The refs know that they don't have to worry about getting an earful if they make a bad call against us, so they don't think twice about swallowing the whistle when our guys drive into opposing bigs.

It's something I've noticed for the last 2-3 years -- our guards almost never get foul calls in their favor on drives to the rim. I thought it had to do with our guards being really undersized (Bazz, Boat), but it's continued this year even with more physical guys. Now I think it has a lot to do with Ollie putting up with it.

I doubt it. This is way to "Inside Basketball" for the average ref to really perceive. Calhoun and Huggins, last night, are a different era. Refs still give them some run. But, that's not the way the Bennetts, Turgeons, etc are coming up. Ollie gets his say. It's just not the way we watched the last 30.

Reaction Score
I was wrong, just looked at the "foul" and basically Trimble pushed him off with the forearm, could've gone the other way but at best it's a no call. . KO was there and rightly was upset.

Reaction Score
I was sitting on the baseline last night. I'm in the grey UCONN sweat shirt on the left edge of the picture. It looked to me like Trimble grabbed Jalen's jersey or arm and tried to pull himself around. Jalen also told the ref that trimble grabbed him. Looked like a terrible call to me. Still no excuse for Ollie to lose it though.

Reaction Score
It was the worst call of this UConn basketball season. Teams now will be teaching their players to dribble close to the defender and push their arms out of the way to draw the foul call. I hate the new rule because it makes playing defense next to impossible. Arms are connected to our bodies and even when your playing good defense with your legs referees are going to see the defenders arms as impeding the offensive player as he drives past the defensive player. Maybe the defensive player has to put his arms behind his back not to get a foul call which course wouldn't help him do other require things on the court like stealing the basketball or blocking a shot or pass.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Glen Miller has to get off his ass and calm Ollie down!
Like Chris Dailey has had to do repeatedly for Geno. Knowing Miller, he just isn't that type of person.

Reaction Score
Right, he said that he did commit a foul but that the game wasn't called evenly. So basically he said that is a foul, but if you aren't going to call it on MD, you can't call that on us

This is a pretty good point that I hadn't considered. Gibbs was being knocked around on inbounds plays just before this call.

Reaction Score
Ollie said there was a foul. But he had he same angle as the ref. The ref had a horrible angle to make that call and make a horrible call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom