For Those Worrying About Caroline Read Rich Elliott | The Boneyard

For Those Worrying About Caroline Read Rich Elliott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rich Elliott once again clears up the confusion John stirs up. Read his blog post about Caroline, which is full of actual facts. Everything Rich makes sense logical sense and fits my own expectations.

We've gone through this twice before with people worrying, prognosticating limited minutes, and comparing Caroline situation to Brittany Hunter (which doesn't make much medical sense). And and another group of people saying she'll be fine and be in the starting lineup and play significant minutes. I have noticed it has been basically been the same people in each group each time. And I remember which group was right the last two times, and I expect a similar outcome this time around also.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
thanks...

this is very good:
A source said that starting Doty is the ideal role for her because Auriemma does not want her to have to participate in pregame warm-ups and then sit on the bench before having to get warm all over again when she enters the game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Notice that Rich spoke to the staff people and not to Caroline and got plenty of details and as Scotter noted facts. Everything is pretty much as I would have expected. Thanks Rich for for going the extra mile to get some facts and news. Thanks Scotter for pointing us towards his blog.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
yes thanks to Rich. however, i'm not sure why it's so important for some posters to be right. i guess that's just their nature. for me, this is a place to discuss UCONN hoops. most of what we discuss on here is based on opinions, speculation, wishful thinking, projecting, etc etc. but yes, thank god there are some who keep score. :rolleyes:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The reasons for folks wanting to be right are numerous. Some are good, some less than good. Same as opinions. Some are good, some are less than good and some, maybe most are almost meaningless.

More than that as a reader it is, also, helpful to understand whose opinions have a consistency of fact, logic, experience, training and knowledge that bring with them a credibility making those opinions worth lingering over to understand a little more about what is being said.

Not all opinions are equal despite how modern media often reports them as in the coverage of politics. Journalism today has often substituted opinions for facts. It is important to understand which is which and how they should inform one another. Who is right can sometimes be critical, and yes, sometimes it is just an opinion.

Plus a Myers-Briggs (MBTI) matrix would play out the personality traits how how folks relate to facts and opinions in a broad variety of ways. So yes, often it is just their nature, but there are other useful reasons, too.

Reaction Score
The reasons for folks wanting to be right are numerous. Some are good, some less than good. Same as opinions. Some are good, some are less than good and some, maybe most are almost meaningless.

some claim to be right when they pinpoint one's grammar mistakes, or which i make many. :rolleyes:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
some claim to be right when they pinpoint one's grammar mistakes, or which i make many. :rolleyes:
True, and sometimes correcting grammar errors is just clarifying misunderstandings. I have a nasty habit of dropping "not" when typing fast and that changes meanings although sometimes it is clear from the remaining material. But yeah, such complaints about spelling or grammar can be the last bastion of a vacant argument.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
http://journalinquirer.com/articles/2011/09/24/sports/doc4e7d6575c1939239275868.txt

Carl has an article in today's JI with the good news on CD. He also mentions that Geno was visiting Xylina for her home visit last night. I remember a little of her dad [Xavier] from his NBA days. I recall that he was athletic, strong, intense and had [kinda] crazy eyes....linebacker eyes. He would add a lot of sizzle to the parent section. Hope we get her.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
http://journalinquirer.com/articles/2011/09/24/sports/doc4e7d6575c1939239275868.txt

Carl has an article in today's JI with the good news on CD. He also mentions that Geno was visiting Xylina for her home visit last night. I remember a little of her dad [Xavier] from his NBA days. I recall that he was athletic, strong, intense and had [kinda] crazy eyes....linebacker eyes. He would add a lot of sizzle to the parent section. Hope we get her.

Wiki:
While at Wichita State, McDaniel was the first person to lead the nation in both rebounding and scoring in the same season. In college, McDaniel began to shave both his head and his eyebrows to look more intimidating. He continued this all throughout his pro career.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Posters that point out how others are wrong, correcting their grammar mistakes or showing a condescending attitude towards a lack of in-depth basketball are the exact reason I'm given by lurkers why they're afraid - yes, they use the word afraid - to post here. I hope that those who are happy to point out how others are wrong have no problem intimidating folks that are less knowledgable than they are.

I would like to remind everyone that this is a board for fans to speak with other fans that share their passion - UConn women's basketball. If people want to express an opinion or ask a question, they are certainly allowed to do so without having to prove they're some kind of basketball experts. This board should be fun for fans, not intimidating.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

More than that as a reader it is, also, helpful to understand whose opinions have a consistency of fact, logic, experience, training and knowledge that bring with them a credibility making those opinions worth lingering over to understand a little bit more about what is being said.

Not all opinions are equal despite how modern media often reports them as in the coverage of politics. Journalism today has often substituted opinions for facts. It is important to understand which is which and how they should inform one another. Who is right can sometimes be critical, and yes, sometimes it is just an opinion.

Plus a Myers-Briggs (MBTI) matrix would play out the personality traits how how folks relate to facts and opinions in a broad variety of ways. So yes, often it is just their nature, but there are other useful reasons, too.

One of the more interesting conversations in my family happened years ago when everyone took the Myers-Briggs quick test. I learned some things about my dad, especially, that were very enlightening. It doesn't answer everything but I have always found it to be helpful. One of the most impactful anecdotes I remember reading in one of the MB books was the fact that in one study, the vast majority of school teachers in the US were found to be of the SJ subtype. The teachers who were then coached on what this meant for them--and also on the fact that students who weren't SJ saw the world much differently--were able to see their profession in a whole new light. I took the long test once to confirm the results of the quick test (I'm ENTP) and was always glad I did.

I know the MBTI is also part of that coaching camp that Geno generously helped to underwrite last year. Given the intensity of the interaction between coaches and players... ;)..... the MBTI is probably be even more valuable in this context. I wonder if Geno's has the UCONN frosh take the MBTI each year?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Nan, I invite your attention to my (new) avatar to support your contention that this should be a "fun" board.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One of the more interesting conversations in my family happened years ago when everyone took the Myers-Briggs quick test. I learned some things about my dad, especially, that were very enlightening. It doesn't answer everything but I have always found it to be helpful. One of the most impactful anecdotes I remember reading in one of the MB books was the fact that in one study, the vast majority of school teachers in the US were found to be of the SJ subtype. The teachers who were then coached on what this meant for them--and also on the fact that students who weren't SJ saw the world much differently--were able to see their profession in a whole new light. I took the long test once to confirm the results of the quick test (I'm ENTP) and was always glad I did.

I know the MBTI is also part of that coaching camp that Geno generously helped to underwrite last year. Given the intensity of the interaction between coaches and players... ;)..... the MBTI is probably be even more valuable in this context. I wonder if Geno's has the UCONN frosh take the MBTI each year?

I would would not be surprised in the least if players and staff have all taken some form of MBTI, DISC (Dominance, Influence, Steadiness and Conscientiousness) or similar personality assessment. Geno is very sophisticated in his understanding and use of psychology whether it is native or studied is hard to say.

BTW, at the time I applied for approval for preparation for the ministry the New England Synod had candidates take the full MMPI (a couple of hours long if I remember correctly) with accompanying interview with a psychologist at Mass General for the evaluation process.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
Posters that point out how others are wrong, correcting their grammar mistakes or showing a condescending attitude towards a lack of in-depth basketball are the exact reason I'm given by lurkers why they're afraid - yes, they use the word afraid - to post here. I hope that those who are happy to point out how others are wrong have no problem intimidating folks that are less knowledgable than they are.

I would like to remind everyone that this is a board for fans to speak with other fans that share their passion - UConn women's basketball. If people want to express an opinion or ask a question, they are certainly allowed to do so without having to prove they're some kind of basketball experts. This board should be fun for fans, not intimidating.

-----------------------

As a "used member" who has not been "abused" here, I offer "this opinion about that" (an example of the depth my replies usually take):

Part of not participating more is that I have very little to offer that is different from other posts. And Nan does make sure that everyone is respected - so I look forward to the upcoming season and participating as best as I can!:)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
An important bits of info from Adamec's article. "“I was feeling like I felt when I was in high school before it happened,” Doty said in August. “I felt really good. For something to happen to the knee but nothing to happen to the ligament means that it is really strong.”"

Carl apparently did manage to talk to Caroline.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Can you have fun and debate opinions at the same time? I think so.

Yes, you can - absolutely. There's a difference between "I disagree because..." and "You obviously know nothing about basketball".

Reaction Score
An important bits of info from Adamec's article. "“I was feeling like I felt when I was in high school before it happened,” Doty said in August. “I felt really good. For something to happen to the knee but nothing to happen to the ligament means that it is really strong.”"

Carl apparently did manage to talk to Caroline.

Note that the quote was from August. All the writers got to talk to her before the team left for Italy. I remember seeing that quote at the time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, you can - absolutely. There's a difference between "I disagree because..." and "You obviously know nothing about basketball".
Not even much of a fine line there, Nan. :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Note that the quote was from August. All the writers got to talk to her before the team left for Italy. I remember seeing that quote at the time.
Good to know, and, also, good to know that she was feeling that positive of her situation. The second bold italic doesn't sound like something a kid says but rather like something they heard and are repeating.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
yes thanks to Rich. however, i'm not sure why it's so important for some posters to be right. i guess that's just their nature. for me, this is a place to discuss UCONN hoops. most of what we discuss on here is based on opinions, speculation, wishful thinking, projecting, etc etc. but yes, thank god there are some who keep score. :rolleyes:

eric, have you visited the internet since it's inception? :D must we link the most linked, and still most apropos, comic of all time? we must:

duty_calls.png

the internet is the ultimate ego stroking machine.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Warning - Snarky post ahead -

As Icebear said, some opinions are meaningless. While a little harsh, he is absolutley right. Including some of my opinions. If I post something that is off the wall, I have no problem with someone pointing that out. Some people don't like to be questioned and expect their opinions to be just read and accepted.

Personally, this gloom and doom posting about Caroline annoys the heck out of me and I'll be happy to point out how wrong those people were. And equally sad if they end up right.

And I'm equally annoyed with your friggin' raised eyebrow dude that accompanies your sarcasm.

End Snark.
you ought to take what nancy said to heart and stop being such a curmudgeon. you're reverting to your old days. :eek:

there are a few posters on here who take great delight in not only being snarky, but constantly trying to make others out to be wrong. it's only a few but it certainly makes the board a less fun place to be. my father won't post on this board for that exact reason and apparently there are lurkers out there who feel the same way.

it's totally possible to disagree without being disagreeable. i'm constantly amazed at the 50+ people who act like they are teenagers.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

oftentimes (but certainly not always), this is merely a method to invalidate the posters credibility (and argument) when reason or logic is exhausted or unable to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom